Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2176cc's for my Type1
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 94, 95, 96 ... 100, 101, 102  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 2176cc's for my Type1 Reply with quote

Thanks for chiming in guys.....I'll listen and leave it. Like I said.....just a tiny tiny bit of fine material.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
Total seal 2nd ring, rest are Grants
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
Steve Long XR310 on a 106
CB 1.4 rockers
CB Magnaspark 2 distributor
NGK D7ea plugs
A1 lowdown 1 3/4 with single muffler
Dellorto 48's with 40 venturies
Kennedy Stage 2 with Daiken disc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 2176cc's for my Type1 Reply with quote

Pulled the head on 3-4 side so I could peek at the lifters and cam through where the pushrods go in.. Everything looks great. Cam is good...lifters look good. Chambers look good...no chamber leaks. Wverything looks good and clean. Cam break in wear is noce and smooth. Head back on and torqued. Tracking says rhino mounts from cb will be here on monday along with the new gaskets if I decide to not use the 518.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 2176cc's for my Type1 Reply with quote

Check your intakes for flatness. Put a straightedge on them to check them.

I put 23 lbs boost through my intake gaskets and never have had a leak yet in almost 30,000 miles of turboed goodness.

You must have an issue if yours leak that quickly.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 2176cc's for my Type1 Reply with quote

fivelugshortaxle wrote:
Pulled the head on 3-4 side so I could peek at the lifters and cam through where the pushrods go in.. Everything looks great. Cam is good...lifters look good.

I must be doing something wrong, can't see the cam or lifter face that way on my engines
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 2176cc's for my Type1 Reply with quote

esde wrote:
fivelugshortaxle wrote:
Pulled the head on 3-4 side so I could peek at the lifters and cam through where the pushrods go in.. Everything looks great. Cam is good...lifters look good.

I must be doing something wrong, can't see the cam or lifter face that way on my engines
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
put your Xray solor eeklips glasses on and you can see the lobes... I remember Rock krushier, he took a 1.5" or so hole saw and drilled holes all over his new bubble top case so he could look in and see the oil and everything else while it was running......I think he put big clear hoses on it trying to make sure the oil was drianing back to the sump on his woods buggy......like I stated a few times before...YOU CANT FIX STUPID.
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: 2176cc's for my Type1 Reply with quote

Was at work at Kaiser today...busy as hell..pulled the head.....pulled number 4 cylinder without pulling all the way off the piston...looked through there. Was thinking about pulling the tubes and looking for the seals in my stash and basically typed what I was thinking. Everybody's done it so take it easy.

Mark ....YOU CAN'T FIX ASSHOLE EITHER.
By the way....back up light switch is 22mm....real easy to get a wrench on there with the trans front mount off and trans slid back an inch or so
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs

Last edited by fivelugshortaxle on Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:14 am; edited 1 time in total
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: 2176cc's for my Type1 Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
Check your intakes for flatness. Put a straightedge on them to check them.

I put 23 lbs boost through my intake gaskets and never have had a leak yet in almost 30,000 miles of turboed goodness.

You must have an issue if yours leak that quickly.

Found the issue tonight. Extra material on the finpart right next to the intakes keeping them from seating all the way. Covered the intake ports with aluminum tape and geound the fins down with my dremel.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: 2176cc's for my Type1 Reply with quote

Also found the breather hose going from stock fuel pump location to bottom of tower was twisted all to hell and kinked. No breathing there.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: 2176cc's for my Type1 Reply with quote

yes I figured you pulled the cylinder.I was screwing with him. Ive seen that little spot that dosent always get machined hold up the intakes before. hope that gets it. retorque the other head while your there.
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: 2176cc's for my Type1 Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
yes I figured you pulled the cylinder.I was screwing with him. Ive seen that little spot that dosent always get machined hold up the intakes before. hope that gets it. retorque the other head while your there.

Thanks....and yeah, I'll retorque the other head.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 2176cc's for my Type1 Reply with quote

I'm going to get rid of the pertronix in my 010 distributor. I have the new points and condenser...and the correct condenser bracket. Here's the problem....I forget exactly how to put the condenser and points back on. Yes, I know.....not real smart. Anybody have any good poctures of it that I can look at?
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
Hustlers67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 2176cc's for my Type1 Reply with quote

Im glad this thread has had a resurgence and is making rapid pace. Just 5 more pages to go! Did you manage to figure out how to get a video uploaded?? would love to hear the beast!
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: 2176cc's for my Type1 Reply with quote

Hustlers67 wrote:
Im glad this thread has had a resurgence and is making rapid pace. Just 5 more pages to go! Did you manage to figure out how to get a video uploaded?? would love to hear the beast!

The motor is out right now to replace the crappy urethane trans mounts my rhino mounts from cb will be here friday. I work all weeked amd will be buttoning it all back up on monday.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 2176cc's for my Type1 Reply with quote

Does anyone know much about the Magnaspark 2 distributor kit from CB? I just put the points back in the 010 and haven't run it yet as the motor is still out. I know the points will be better than the electronic module that was in it....just wondering about the magnaspark.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: 2176cc's for my Type1 Reply with quote

Finahed putting motor and trans back in olace after installing the rhino mounts from cb. Also put all the tin on except thermostat and flaps. All of it. Dumped the Brad Penn crap....read a few things Raby said about it dissipating heat badly....and put in Amzoil zrod 30 wt. Re symced the carbs. Warm idle is about 950. Used the loctite 518 flange sealant on the manifolds. Took it for a spin around the neigh orhood with a few rowdy goes at it. Oil temp hit right at 200 once and quickly cooled back down to about 180. I also tightened my fanbelt as I have the wrong one (knobs on it....ordered the correct one from Aircooled amd waiting on them to get here. I ordered an external oil cooler with fam from cb a few days ago and now it looks like I don't need it. Oil temps are great....heas temps also dropped some more. ...thwy went around 305 once on the rowdy run and then clicked back down to about 280 to 290 iah juat cruiaing along at about 40. Unreal how much cooler wverything is. I took forever aymcing the carbs as I was trying to get them perfect....car runs even better now. Crazy quick. Sync is much better as the moror zings through the rpm's quite a bit quicker and a bit smoother.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: 2176cc's for my Type1 Reply with quote

Hustlers67 wrote:

Going to a cruise on thursday with a few Samba members. I'm hoping one of them has a camera to record some video.

I have one oil leak...the 1 - 2 valve cover. Leaking at the weld for the breather. Got them from Chico a couole years ago. I have a welder now ao I'll pull it off and re weld it soon. I hate oil leaks.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: 2176cc's for my Type1 Reply with quote

Hustlers67 wrote:

Just posted the test drive video on youtube...type in "initial teat drive 2276....gently"....only video I have right now. Never put the pedal down more than just a tad bit.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 2176cc's for my Type1 Reply with quote

one of the reasons the engine cools off is that when new, the piston tops, head ports, exhaust system, etc, are all bare. After they have a thin coating of carbon they are insulated and combustion heat doesn't transfer in nearly as much. This normally takes 500-1000 miles.

This is also why a new engine can be more likely to detonate than one which is "seasoned". Just don't push it right away, let the temps settle. You'll know when this happens via the gauges.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 2176cc's for my Type1 Reply with quote

I'll tell you one thing that'll scare the bejesus out of you, as you have little kids. Those damned mufflers hanging out the back are an accident waiting to happen. Blazing hot and right at little kid height, my son came running out to see me one day and got nailed. Luckily I had cold water right there, and ice several feet away. I bought a small carbon fiber blanket to throw over it when I stopped, and very soon after bought a sidewinder that tucked entirely out of sight.
Nothing will ruin the fun you have driving something like when it hurts your kid. Just my .02
SD
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 2176cc's for my Type1 Reply with quote

I love the cb magna spark, Ive used one in a customers build and I have 1 for mine, Ive used that type after market dist for many years in v8's so eazy to curve&adjust .Im just too lazy to put it in and the petronix works flawlessley and my 09 's curve is fine where I did it for this motor...many years ago....I just dont like working on my car.or it would be in the motor. I already recurved it.just sitting there. along with a new box of msd wires. I would never go to points...unless I was stuck somewhere and had to steel a set out of somebodys junk car....but this pet in my car is....I dont know how old.20 + years old.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 94, 95, 96 ... 100, 101, 102  Next
Jump to:
Page 95 of 102

Jump to: