Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.8T @ 50 deg. under the decklid. Now Running!!
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MR GAS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: 1.8T @ 50 deg. under the decklid. Now Running!! Reply with quote

Finally Finised the Swap!! Been running for a week now. Lots o Torque and plenty HP!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude that rawks!

What was the most challenging aspect? This certainly looks like a "one of a kind" swap.

This is your build thread?

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5083773-...4a409c613f

Did you weld the intake runners? If so, any chance you did it with MIG?

Neil.

1988 West, 50º ABA

Vanagon VAG GAS engine swap Google Group:
https://tinyurl.com/2f24rmh

VE7TBN
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw your update on The Vortex. Nicely done! It's a packaging masterpiece. One question. Could you achieve the same intake manifold results by joining two AEB intake manifolds rather than an AEB and a PL?

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jabba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Very clean job on this engine. Congratulations!
But what about the oil pan, there is no modifications on it to fit on the engine block??? I can't see anything about this on your pics.
svenakela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jabba wrote:
But what about the oil pan, there is no modifications on it to fit on the engine block??? I can't see anything about this on your pics.

Very much diesel oil pan indeed.

Your engine conversion looks great, creds for all the research and that you went for it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jabba wrote:

He used an early 1.8T based on the EA827 block, so the diesel oil pan and pickup tube bolt right up.

D
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MR GAS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jabba"]Wow! Very clean job on this engine. Congratulations!
But what about the oil pan, there is no modifications on it to fit on the engine block??? I can't see anything about this on your pics.[/quote]
The AEB and ATW 1.8t's are based on the 058 block. which goes back to the 1600 rabbit motors. in 2001 VW went to 06A blocks and every accs is diffrent. AEB uses all early parts. oil pickup pan bellhousing, pulleys are earlier parts. DClymer in my opinion, you would need at least 3 AEB manifolds. not the later manifolds B/C they have a smaller port size. i felt the 16V gave me the length, size and a flange i can buy a gasket for and remove there to get at the Alt. and A/C.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great, 50* is the way to go, how's the ground clearance? I was looking at this on the vortex too.
MR GAS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to get parts from my Rabbit parts and the donor Passat.
The biggest head ache was the engine cradle! i started w/ VD Bars i was amazed how much Flex they had w/ the engine in place . I could push on it with my Hand and feel it moving alot. the rear panel on the vanagon is really thin and Flexible. When i bolted the I/C mount there was a slight bow in the rear that dissapeared as i bolted (4x 8mm) it up. Now its Flat! So i used the mustache bar and the front VD mounting points .
Like this!

this one holds ALL the weight!

Shocked Laughing

Clearance same as VD. did not lower the transaxle! Exhaust is higher than stock. nice departure angle. Brown Vanagon
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Job.
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like your mount design. Using the moustache bar for the rear attachment was wise. I've always been amazed that VW attached to that flimsy rear member without reinforcing it.

If you ever want to produce more of those mounts and bars to sell I'm sure you'd have lots of customers.

D
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with a value of around $950 Wink
Laughing
Rolling Eyes

D Clymer wrote:
I really like your mount design. Using the moustache bar for the rear attachment was wise. I've always been amazed that VW attached to that flimsy rear member without reinforcing it.

If you ever want to produce more of those mounts and bars to sell I'm sure you'd have lots of customers.

D

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything about the conversion is stunning. The Aswan Brown color of your van is also quite bu-teeeeeee-ful. Laughing Extremely nice job. Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> how's the ground clearance?

I would like to know ground clearance AND height of wheel center off ground. This will tell us how far below the wheel center the ground clearance is. That way it matters not what size tires are being used.

for example, my wheel centers are 14.5" off the ground, and my ground clearance is 11.5". That means my conversion hangs 3"!!! below my wheel center.. Im hoping you did a lot better.

> If you ever want to produce more of those mounts and bars to sell I'm sure you'd have lots of customers.

there is also already in production and available for purchase, carrier bars from German Motorwerks in Pacific Grove.. see this thread in which VWHEAD showcases on of his installation, and his carrier bars, which are built by Burleysmotorsports.com
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=495947

fwiw I believe, VWHEAD uses a more modern 1.8T than Mr. Gas.

Congrats to Mr. Gas on the below decklid conversion on the older style 1.8T motor.
psych-illogical
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice installation. I'm still doing OK with my stock 1.9L but if I was going to consider a conversion a 1.8 set at 50* would be my first choice. What year van is that in. Looks like 83 or 84 just based on that color being very popular on those years.

Check your PMs.
'96 BMW R1100GS
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The originally diesel vans have reinforcing plates welded to that rear member where each carrier bar attaches. Even some aircooled bodies from mid 81 have them as those bodies were changed to allow either engine when diesel production began in 81 models. Waterboxer van bodies mostly don't have them though a rare few do. More have it just on the pass side with the PS tank bracket bolted to it and sometimes welded to it.

The early TIICO kits had durability problems with the rear crossmember attachment points and TIICO eventually began providing the diesel type reinforcing plates to people who asked.

Mark

D Clymer wrote:
I really like your mount design. Using the moustache bar for the rear attachment was wise. I've always been amazed that VW attached to that flimsy rear member without reinforcing it. .....

D
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
The originally diesel vans have reinforcing plates welded to that rear member where each carrier bar attaches. Even some aircooled bodies from mid 81 have them as those bodies were changed to allow either engine when diesel production began in 81 models. Waterboxer van bodies mostly don't have them though a rare few do.

Mark

D Clymer wrote:
I really like your mount design. Using the moustache bar for the rear attachment was wise. I've always been amazed that VW attached to that flimsy rear member without reinforcing it. .....

D

Yeah, I've seen the mounting plates welded to the attachment points on diesel vans. It looks like the WBX vans have only two of the four holes at each attachment point with the other two being part of the reinforcement plates. Correct? I've just always been surprised the length of the beam itself wasn't reinforced. It seems like it would be a NVH amplifier. It must be fine or VW wouldn't have used it. But what the OP said about the flexibility of that area concurred with what I've seen.

D
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, each three holed diesel plate welds on over 2 existing threaded holes and provides a third new hole at the top.

My point is to make people aware that attaching to that flimsy member requires additional strength, as recognised by VW when they did it and as found out by many conversions that failed to do it.

Mark

D Clymer wrote:

Yeah, I've seen the mounting plates welded to the attachment points on diesel vans. It looks like the WBX vans have only two of the four holes at each attachment point with the other two being part of the reinforcement plates. Correct? .......

D
jabba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MR GAS wrote:

The AEB and ATW 1.8t's are based on the 058 block. which goes back to the 1600 rabbit motors. in 2001 VW went to 06A blocks and every accs is diffrent. AEB uses all early parts. oil pickup pan bellhousing, pulleys are earlier parts. DClymer in my opinion, you would need at least 3 AEB manifolds. not the later manifolds B/C they have a smaller port size. i felt the 16V gave me the length, size and a flange i can buy a gasket for and remove there to get at the Alt. and A/C.

Ok. It's a great info. On which car we can find such engines? Early mkiv i guess?
MR GAS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The donor car is a 99 Passat 1.8T
You can use 1997 thru 2000 Passats or A4 audi. All FWD 1.8T's are 06A blocks.
I used the Engine , Wheels and Front Brakes from the 99 Passat. VW Logo
So its a Vanassat or is it Passangon. Passatagon VW Logo
I could make these mounts if there is enough interest in them. Brown Vanagon
On the Ground Clearance issue. we should be measuring from the van Floor to the bottom of the trans and to the bottom of the oil pan. Not from the ground! every van is at a diffrent ride height and tire combo . the only consistant is from a fixed surface not the soft suspension.
I will do some measuring and picture taking over the weekend.
VW Logo Greg
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: