Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Diesel tranny / poor mans syncro box?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Diesel tranny / poor mans syncro box? Reply with quote

What I'm wondering is could you create a sort of poor mans syncro trans w/ granny by using a diesel R&P with a longer 3rd/4th? Ideally 2nd/3rd/4th but I didn't think you could change out 2nd as easily?

Syncro trans w/ locker - $2000
Rebuild - $1800
Conversion for 2wd - $500 (I think)

Total - $4300

Diesel trans - $400
Rebuild - $1100
Locking TBD - $1800
New gearsets (2) - $700

Total - $4000

Keep in mind that's assuming the Syncro box has all good R&P, gears, etc... It gets much worse when you have to start replacing / sourcing other stuff.

I'm trying to avoid the thought that I'm considering spending more on a tranny than the whole van cost... Shocked

Thoughts?
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably your best bet would be to source a 5 speed from an 83 diesel. The 5 speed 094 has a 4.11 first gear vs the 3.78 ratio for all 4 speeds. Combined with the standard 5.43:1 final drive this would give you a very low first gear and 5th would be similar to the 4th gear in a Syncro or regular 2wd. Finding a trans would be difficult, but this would offer the most bang for your buck.

D
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: