Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question: btm of manual stick shift spring
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Question: btm of manual stick shift spring Reply with quote

What exactly is that spring and metal collar that depresses it for. I had taken off the pressure to clean and regrease the plastic parts. I Rolling Eyes drove it without the tension. So what is it for, what kind of pressure or torque should be on it? What should I be using to lubricate it inside and underneath?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-that springs is what you press down against to put in reverse.
I am not sure if it also holds the end of the shift rod up against
the gate but it's part of the reverse lock out. That way you don't
toss it into reverse while doing 40mph or should I say kilometers..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AHA that makes sense. So I just tighten it down as hard as I can (of course others can get it down even tighter). Must have serious brain farts as I simply can't find my shift knob but tomorrow is a new day for looking.

The problem with the knob and finding a replacement is that it's only 4 speed, most knobs now are at least 5 speed or more. I haven't lost it, I just can't find it. I put things where I'll be sure to find them and it doesn't work everytime Laughing <<laughing at self. Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daze, the proper spring tension is regulated by that round collar above the spring. That collar is held in place by a set screw. That set screw gets inserted into a tiny recess, or divot, in the shift shaft. If you push the spring down all the way (or as tight as you can get it) and tighten the set screw, you won't be able to push the shifter down to get into reverse. You need to place that collar above the spring in the right place on the shaft in order for the system to operate correctly.

I believe that VW used white lithium grease on these parts.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been awhile but I think there is a divot on the gear lever
that the set screw on the ring goes into. I am almost postive
there is. If you can't find the knob let me know. I have a spare
that I can send you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Will do as you say, of course I may have to take a magnifying glass down but this is yet another job I can do for myself! Smile
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the indent. Alas I couldn't hold down spring & collar and screw it in so will do it Monday with a 3rd hand.

Bill M. My knob doesn't fit the shift extender from Bus Depot (for pre 84 Vanagons). Do you know what size your knob is? I'm giggling here "what size is your knob? does it fit on that extender?. Laughing Bus Depot doesn't have any that fit. I need to measure the ID and the depth of the threads inside the knob. I know that the threaded end of the extender is 14mm OD threads, 15mm length of thread, 16mm OD of smooth shaft on extender. I found my knob and extendor in a place I would never have looked for it!! Fortunately I was moving that place into the van from the car. Brain farts seem to be occassionally more pronounced Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: