Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

truckfridge vs. engel mt45 question
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: truckfridge vs. engel mt45 question Reply with quote

i know this has been discussed on other threads.
there is a big price difference between the truckfridge tf45 ($499) and the engel mt45 ($910) is there a big performance difference? they both have similar features 12/110 and fridge or freezer modes of operation. the current draw on the truckfridge is a little higher on the low end 1.7 -2.7amps
vs engel .7 - 2.5 amps. external size is a little smaller on the truckfridge.
who has one and how long on battery or how many watts on solar do you need?

thanks for any help
1990 vw automatic camper
ohlott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run truck ridge and love it. I keep it running 247. I have a 135 watt panel up top and a group 27 110ah under the bench seat. It keeps up fine.
Solar panel have come Down a lot since I installed mine. About 100.
Good luck. Lots of good set ups on here. Search. Solar
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the truckfridge guy was offering a samba discount which brought the price down even further and maybe free shipping to
o. there was a post about it recently.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a vitro frigo (identical to the truck fridge, or close to it) and I also have an engel mt 45. The engel holds a more consistent temperature, 40* out? 33* inside, 102* out? 33* inside. It does seem to run less than the vitro frigo too.

I do like a front loader quite a bit more though. Having a small freezer in the truck fridge is also pretty nice, because every time you set up camp and make a martini with ice from your freezer you'll feel like a boss Cool

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how does the truck fridge hold up with outside temps 95-100 deg f ?
1990 vw automatic camper
berkeleyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoWesty has the Whynter 65Q on sale in their eBay shop right now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Whynter-65-Quart-Portable-Fridge-Freezer-/360432690709
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pushkick wrote:
how does the truck fridge hold up with outside temps 95-100 deg f ?

it holds up well. The duty cycle is just increased with the commensurate draw on the battery. Interior temp remains constant
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mblotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my initial trial run with my truck fridge (tf65) didnt last as long as i expected. park in late afternoon it seemed like the fridge was not running anymore by morning? walmart group 27 marine 105ah battery with my calculations should be running for 30-35 hrs. granted this was in NM desert but still.

trying to decide if my battery is bunk or my fridge is running to much. and if i should ad another battery (210ah then) or if im just crazy and need to spend more time with it.

of course i did not have my multimeter along to know what my charge was

thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: draw Reply with quote

If your battery had the full charge available, then it should not have been drawn down to below operating voltage in the (say) 10 hours. I think that the max draw of the TF65 is well under 10 amps - so even at 100% duty cycle, your battery should have lasted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
idahoskier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ran my TF65 on its maiden voyage in Moab. I didnt check voltages much but did get this series:
15:00=12.38V
17:00=12.33
10:30=11.90

I expected fridge alone to be good off a full battery (101 AHr @ 12.8V) for about 48hrs if it wasnt in the middle of the desert and I didnt run anything else. I was in the middle of the desert, it was 85-90 F, and the sun was blazing on the fridge side of the van till about 19:00. Night temps were around 55 F. I also ran the stereo (18x4 RMS) and amp (40x2 RMS) for 2-3 hours turned up louder than I ever listen to it in the van. We were in and out of the fridge a bunch and it was turned up to the max. I used the stock galley light all night. The popsicles stayed frozen and I even made a tray of ice for drinks. The fridge was very full Very Happy Im satisified with this but YMMV.
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: who is the truck fridge guy? Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
the truckfridge guy was offering a samba discount which brought the price down even further and maybe free shipping to

is there a web site ? couldnt find the post

thanks
bruce
1990 vw automatic camper
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: who is the truck fridge guy? Reply with quote

pushkick wrote:
davevickery wrote:

is there a web site ? couldnt find the post

thanks
bruce
Blue Bay Bus Big Rig Gifts. com type in van and get a 5% off + free shipping! If van does not work call them they will help, had to do this yesterday when I got my tf-49. Very Happy best price by far that I found!
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
mblotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i just have a problem with my fridge--so maybe not all related to battery. i started it up 4 hours ago (9am) and it was at 50 degrees inside. i put maybe 15 sodas (from cool garage floor) and maybe 8 cold beers from house fridge. 4 hours later with dial set to 7 (max) i am at 60 degrees. hmm--i actually warmed my beer instead of cooling it--damnit
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: who is the truck fridge guy? Reply with quote

Quote:
Blue Bay Bus Big Rig Gifts. com type in van and get a 5% off + free shipping! If van does not work call them they will help, had to do this yesterday when I got my tf-49. Very Happy best price by far that I found!

Or, you could support the 'little guy' who actually brought the fridges to light to this crowd, tested them extensively, offers free advice, photos, and technical installation help, etc. BRG does not. Is it worth saving 5%? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: who is the truck fridge guy? Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
Quote:

Or, you could support the 'little guy' who actually brought the fridges to light to this crowd, tested them extensively, offers free advice, photos, and technical installation help, etc. BRG does not. Is it worth saving 5%? Wink
Blue Bay Bus Sorry, yes! $489.95 less 5% = $24.50, and free shipping! Call me cheap. Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
Hegamon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Fridge Anti-theft Reply with quote

With these options, the fridge is now exposed in the cabin and not screwed into/hidden by the cabinetry. Do either of these options allow for a security system that bolts them to the floor in a way that deters theft? I see that gowesty has a mounting system, but it would be just as easy to for a crook to slide the fridge out by pushing the button as it would be for me.
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Fridge Anti-theft Reply with quote

Hegamon wrote:
With these options, the fridge is now exposed in the cabin and not screwed into/hidden by the cabinetry. Do either of these options allow for a security system that bolts them to the floor in a way that deters theft? I see that gowesty has a mounting system, but it would be just as easy to for a crook to slide the fridge out by pushing the button as it would be for me.

I have Engel mt45 and I put a beach towel over mine sometimes and that hides it pretty well. I also installed a alarm.
bosruten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Fridge Anti-theft Reply with quote

Hegamon wrote:

I once had so much beer in my cooler, the park warden could not confiscate(it is not supposed to be outside, unattended) because of the weight! You could try that. Smile
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: here is what i have found out Reply with quote

$959 +sh engle mt45 66lbs 1.5 cu ft. 12/24dc/120 power 25.5(w)X 14.3(d) X 20(h) .7->2.5amp @12 vdc fridge/freezer

$499+ sh truckfridge55 42lbs 2.0 cu.ft. 12/130 power 25.5(w) X 20(d) X 20(h) 1.67-2.7 amp @12 vdc or 40 amps/24hrs - 65 amps/24hrs fridge/freezer

$450 whynter 57lbs 2.5cu.ft. 120ac/12vdc 28(w) X 17.5(d) X 21(h) 1amp ac- 2.75 amp dc fridge/freezer

$599 danzer 75lbs 1.8 cu. ft. 12 vdc 26.5(w) X 23(d) X 30.5(h) (refridge).4 amps -(freezer).97amps or 114watt/day - 280watt/day fridge or freezer not both

this is the information i have so far.
1990 vw automatic camper

Last edited by pushkick on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge Anti-theft Reply with quote

whynotvw wrote:
I have Engel mt45 and I put a beach towel over mine sometimes and that hides it pretty well. I also installed a alarm.

same here

you can also use a security cable thru the handles like those used in bicycles

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: