Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

how to connect remote starter
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
type47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: how to connect remote starter Reply with quote

I need to be able to see the engine compartment while the engine is cranking to test for spark (by holding extra plug on one of the plug wires). I can hardly see the connections to the starter so am asking if someone can give me some hints and directions to connecting a remote starter switch to the terminals of the starter. The one terminal with the cable from the battery is pretty obvious; one clip from the remote starter switch goes there. 'Splain/describe the other one. TIA.
157000 08/2014
158000 05/2015
desertrefugee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't tried it on my Westy, but I believe all you should need is to present 12V at the solenoid tap. It's separate from the "common" 12V heavy line from the battery that feeds the starter motor. (It's the "higher" of the two terminals)

Works that way on any other car (or motorcycle) I've ever worked on. Don't see why it'd be any different on the Vanagon.

So, wire your remote switch in any way convenient to get +12V to that terminal. Keep in mind this will only bump the motor over. You won't have ignition or power to the ECU. Keeping the ignition switch (the key) in the full on position will give you that power - as needed.

"For I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: