Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Exhaust manifold -
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeekiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Exhaust manifold - Reply with quote

What is the best way to unbolt the manifold (closet to engine) ..I took the other part of the exhaust off a few days ago just to check it all out but i was unable to get the exhaust manifold off. any tip? favorite tools? I had a basic ratchet set and gave up once i realized my tools were not gonna work. How did you do it?
scottf3334
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need some open ended wrenches, be very careful you don't break any studs.

This is one of those jobs that if you are only going to do once, it may be better to pay someone. If you break a stud the complexity factor jumps way up and you will wish you didn't start.

Not meaning to scare you, but if this is your daily and you are new to wrenching, it sometimes takes days to drill out a stud.

If everything goes right it isn't that hard, but it is unusual for everything to go right Shocked
zeekiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahah..Yeah, my plan was to call a few shops and get a quote for the job..because of those reason, and like I said earlier, it was really hard for me to get access to these bolts..excited to put new spark plugs/wires, air filter, distrib cap/wire. Woot! I hope she likes it.

Thanks for your advice Scott..if the quotes are crazy I'll be buying a set of open ended sockets, they come in handy a lot.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way to judge the condition of the fasteners on your van, but if they are typically rusted in place then agree with above - proceed at your own risk. Snap one of those off and you may be facing a head removal to repair it. A mechanic will use a combination of heat and impact tools on something like this. And he definitely won't appreciate the bolts being rounded off first - heh!

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
zeekiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luckily my exhaust bolts came off pretty easy, I'm not sure about my exhaust mani bolts.. I'll give an update tomorrow..

What do you think a fair price is to install just one exhaust mani...assuming they don't have to do any black magic to remove the bolts?
zeekiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VC sent me the wrong exhaust mani, new one on the way...with a fuel line replacment kit Smile thank god I didn't unbolt the old one and checked it see if it was the right one bc i live in an apartment complex with no garage and that would of sucked..

The wait is on again!
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oxy Acetyene heat is your friend, partner, and will allow you to remove that exhaust manifold in record time--without creating any disaster's--like snapping studs & bolts.

If you can't afford the proper torches, do yourself a big favor, and take it to a shop that does.

Propane ot map gas bottled gas from Menards won't cut it.
Neither will Johnny Wad penetrating oils.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeekiel wrote:
What do you think a fair price is to install just one exhaust mani...assuming they don't have to do any black magic to remove the bolts?

I'm in Virginia and the local independent VW repair shop quoted me $400 last summer to replace just the one front (#1-#3 cylinders) crossover, parts and labor. He said that any unforeseen difficulties (read broken bolts/studs) would be extra.

I bought the whole 4-pipe system (no cat and muffler) for that price from a vendor and did it myself, breaking two bolts and learning a lot about my van in the process.
zeekiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

campism wrote:
zeekiel wrote:

I'm in Virginia and the local independent VW repair shop quoted me $400 last summer to replace just the one front (#1-#3 cylinders) crossover, parts and labor. He said that any unforeseen difficulties (read broken bolts/studs) would be extra.

I bought the whole 4-pipe system (no cat and muffler) for that price from a vendor and did it myself, breaking two bolts and learning a lot about my van in the process.

yeah i got a few quotes around town and they were about 300 a pop..without unforeseen difficulties.

found a VW/Audi place that said they would do it for 105 unless they come across any huge problems.. My bolts aren't rusted on..PB blaster is barely necessary. in fact, I was poking around when I realized they sent me the wrong Mani and found one of the bolts where loose and cranked it back on nice and tight. I've got to wait until thursday for the shop to get to me, but i also have to wait for the right Mani to come in. plus ill be stoked about the fuel line kit..i noticed some cracking on the short lines between the rail and injector Embarassed
Scorcho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than broken bolts and studs, is there anything else that complicates the removal of n exhaust manifold. Have 1.6NA Diesel
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust manifold - Reply with quote

I'm not sure I've ever broken exhaust studs on an inline VW engine, but often times the copper nuts will seize to the stud and the whole assembly turns out of the head. I would drop the whole exhaust prior to attempting to pull the manifold. There's probably a good chance of breaking a stud at the junction between the downpipe and manifold.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Scorcho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust manifold - Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I'm not sure I've ever broken exhaust studs on an inline VW engine, but often times the copper nuts will seize to the stud and the whole assembly turns out of the head. I would drop the whole exhaust prior to attempting to pull the manifold. There's probably a good chance of breaking a stud at the junction between the downpipe and manifold.

Could it be that they run colder? might be doing this this weekend and hoping I don't get any broken studs
Scorcho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust manifold - Reply with quote

Do I need a ring gasket in addition to the four manifold gaskets for installing the manifold in a 1.6NA?

https://www.vanagain.com/shop/exhaust-manifold-gasket-028129589b

Have four of these in my cart. Suggestions?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust manifold - Reply with quote

Not sure what you are asking, but you’d need 4 gaskets between the manifold and the head. From memory the manifold had a square gasket between it and the vanagon downpipe. Could you post a picture? You might have an exhaust from a different vw after all these years.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: