Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Feedback on Gowesty "third brake light"?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
One more islander...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Feedback on Gowesty "third brake light"? Reply with quote

I'm thinking about picking up one of these, among other odds and ends, while the Gowesty sale is on:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

At $29.95, and considering that Gowesty is usually fairly pricey, it seems really cheap. Doing a search elsewhere for similar LED light kits turns up prices from $85 to $100.

Has anyone installed this kit? Did you find it of reasonable quality? I like the idea of the third brake light; is this the best way to go, as of Nov 2012?

Thanks!

---
Kathy
rc3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed one on my 87 , The Instructions are good and it was a easy mod. The quality seems fine to me and hard to beat for the price. there is a 15 % discount through November 26 use promo code thanks12 at check out.

Best regards
Robert
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: light Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus You are right it is a good price. Just put one in, about 30 min. Works real well nice and bright. Went into a syncro westy with air so the wires were easy to run but there instructions cover all scenarios. Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
One more islander...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback!

I'd looked at the video they'd produced on how to install it, and the instructions certainly were clear and extensive. I was just concerned about the price, which seemed really low compared to other alternatives online.

I think it's time to take advantage of that Thanksgiving sale... Very Happy

Cheers

Kathy
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the kit is worth the money. I would have gone with the kit if available at the time I installed my 3rd brake light

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more piece of feedback that after all is said and done, I also think their kit is worth it. I like that it sticks to the glass.
86syncrowesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second all the others. I searched for an option without success but my one suggestion would be to consider an led brake bulb upgrade at the same time.
jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No direct experience with GoWesty kit - which looks very nice.

For people looking for an alternative, JCWhitney seems to still stock the LED bar described in this thread. ~$10, but tap splice/connectors and grommets unlikely to be included. Their website changes all the time - better to search for SKU 283526 and/or MFG P/N PL06147. I'm very pleased with that setup.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmranger wrote:

For people looking for an alternative, JCWhitney seems to still stock the LED bar described in this thread. ~$10, but tap splice/connectors and grommets unlikely to be included. Their website changes all the time - better to search for SKU 283526 and/or MFG P/N PL06147. I'm very pleased with that setup.

X2 on the JC light bar. I wouldn't be able to get my window blanket tight to the rear window if there
were a light stuck to it. Running wires and hooking up a third brake light is pretty easy, I think it is
a worthwhile mod that may help you be seen better!
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Home Team Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmranger wrote:

That's what I went with. If installing on a Westy, I think the JC Whitney light is a no brainer as you can attach it to the rear shelf.

82 Diesel Westy
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only concern is applying it to a tinted window.Any one done this yet?
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
specialev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's bright enough that people would see it through the tint.

Every van should have something like this retrofitted. I've got the GW kit and I like it. Install is simple and helps me be seen!
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My concern was whether or not it will adhere to the tint;will the tint adhesive support the light and stay stuck to the glass?
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SloFloSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CessnaJon wrote:
My concern was whether or not it will adhere to the tint;will the tint adhesive support the light and stay stuck to the glass?

I personally would cut a section of the film out and steam it free. I wouldn't want to go to the bother of an LED Brake Light, then reduce it's effectiveness by the tint.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SloFloSyncro wrote:
CessnaJon wrote:

I personally would cut a section of the film out and steam it free. I wouldn't want to go to the bother of an LED Brake Light, then reduce it's effectiveness by the tint.

My 3rd brake light is glued to the tint film. No problem so far. I tested the light's brightness before installation (tinted vs. not tinted window) and decided the difference was minimal. The light is super bright, I don't feel you lose any effectiveness. The biggest advantadge of a 3rd brake light is it's position and height but I understand people wanting to cut out the tint film under the light. In my case it was not worth it. Maybe I can take a pic this weekend.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great product for the money. I mounted an LED strip on the inside of my Westy and it works great. The only downside is when I brake at night it lights up the inside of the rear window. If I had it to do again I'd go with the Westy kit; especially with the 15% discount.
One thing you may want to add is a brake strobe module. Makes the center brake light very visible and it's super cheap ($4.95)
http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-vehicl...e/195/845/
I've had one in my Westy for about six months and I like it a lot.
Ron
Ryan Keating
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed it with the led bulb kit. Works great and was easy to install after watching the video. I would suggest it and think the price is fair.
jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

911pickup wrote:
One thing you may want to add is a brake strobe module. Makes the center brake light very visible and it's super cheap ($4.95)

Ugh. No. Really, no.
Well, to each its own, but no.
Yes, it's more visible, but when I see such a flashing light, my brain doesn't tell me "he's braking". It's telling me "what the heck am I seeing". Not good. Same for people that wire their center braking light with flashers. Creates confusion, and prevent reflexes from kicking-in.
Have I said no already? Wink

If you really want to improve your odds, take a bit of time to check that your brake lights turn on even when very slightly depressing the pedal. If they don't, your brake light switches are worn - and those too are $5 parts (two per van). Search for 113.945.515G or 113.945.515H. Details in this thread.

Sorry for the off-topic excursion.

JMRanger
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you mentioned, "Each to their own." I've had friends, who were following me, tell me how attention-grabbing the flashing center brake light was. This could be, in part, because very few cars have flashing rear, center brake lights, so it grabs people's attention.
The main purpose is to be noticed, and a flashing rear brake light does that. Will it save me from getting rear-ended? Only time will tell.
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

911pickup wrote:
Looks like a great product for the money. I mounted an LED strip on the inside of my Westy and it works great. The only downside is when I brake at night it lights up the inside of the rear window. If I had it to do again I'd go with the Westy kit; especially with the 15% discount.
Ron

Agreed, If I were doing it over, I might also try surface mount, as the LED strip on the rear shelf definitely creates a red glow in the rear window. It's not a glare, per-se—it doesn't affect my ability to see clearly out the rear window, as far as I can tell—and isn't distracting anymore, but initially it was a bit offputting.

The upshot is that you definitely know exactly when your brake lights are kicking in.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: