Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 wiper ?s
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: 72 wiper ?s Reply with quote

My wipers quit a week ago in the middle of the windshield. The fuse was blown. I replaced the fuse but they keep blowing even with the switch off. I guess they're just trying to park.

I have gone through the wiper refresh thread but it's for 73+ models. Now I'm trying to get the wiper assembly out to rehab it. Even though Collin states that the connectors in the 72 are at the motor, mine are not, so I have to take them out at the switch, (Pain in the ass). To do so I have to remove the switch. The Bentley says that to remove the switch you need a "special wrench", great. Which one would that be? The rear defogger has been disconnected since I've owned the bus. The lead for it dwells behind the interior panel.

I'd like to remove the whole affair and test the switch too. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remove the switch knob and use some thin needle nose pliers to fit into the two notches in the switch nut. Then lefty loosy until the nut comes off the switch shaft. Pull the switch out from behind the dash. Disconnect battery first.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks aeromech. Any advice on testing?

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Testing. Hmmm... I guess you could use a multimeter to see if the switch is shorted internally or you could bypass the switch and run wires with an inline fuse directly to the motor to see if that works without blowing the fuse. You could inspect everything for shorted wires. Worst case I guess you could remove the whole wiper assembly and bench check it while being careful not to lose any fingers.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm going to remove the whole assembly and rehab everything as per Collin's tutorial.

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil' Lulu wrote:
Yeah, I'm going to remove the whole assembly and rehab everything as per Collin's tutorial.

The tutorial worked perfectly on my '69, so I don't see how it would be much different for a '72. Mark the wires where they come off, and use a thin pair of needle-nose pliers to remove the escutcheon like aeromech said. Do the refresh before messing with the switch- you might find a frozen motor or gear train that is drawing too much current and blowing the fuse. The switch doesn't disconnect power from the motor, it routes power through one of two constantly active circuits. You'll see more when you take the gear housing apart.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure but I think later 72's had the terminals at the motor- much easier. Later came the gang plug- Whoa, we're gettin' modern now. Even later, plug and play- Space Age!

Asiab3- Did you have to remove the switch to get the terminals off and mark everything? I mean without $300 worth of chiropractic work and whiskey. Laughing

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil' Lulu wrote:
Not sure but I think later 72's had the terminals at the motor- much easier. Later came the gang plug- Whoa, we're gettin' modern now. Even later, plug and play- Space Age!

Asiab3- Did you have to remove the switch to get the terminals off and mark everything? I mean without $300 worth of chiropractic work and whiskey. Laughing

I disconnected the battery, removed the escutcheon, dropped the switch down, marked all four wires, and disconnected them from the switch. Then when I pulled the motor our through the glovebox hole the wires just came with it. Same with isntallation- let the wires follow the assembly, then reroute them and connect with the switch under the dashboard. There will be enough slack in the wires to do this from the front seats; you did label them, right? If your plugs are on the motor, take a nice, well-lit picture of exactly where each colored wire goes, then reconnect to the motor.

DO NOT drop the rubber motor support washer down the heater tube.

DO NOT drop the rubber motor support washer down the heater tube. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: