Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hold The Phone - New GoWesty Bigger Brakes!
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Hold The Phone - New GoWesty Bigger Brakes! Reply with quote

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=23870&category_id=253&category_parent_id=

These are CHEAP! What do we think?

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like a great kit, except its really irritating when they make things seem cheaper than they are, obviously if you are looking at this kit you dont already have the required hubs...so add another 250$
But good for GW for offering options
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Hold The Phone - New Big Brakes! Reply with quote

$500 for brakes is cheap? I've never paid that much for my car, installed. Wink What was everyone paying when they were lucky enough to find them from SA?
photogdave wrote:

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Big Brakes Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_760_629/big_brake_kit.html $ 795 Van Cafe! But $250 for the hub kit and you are up only $45, so we will have to see if they are any better! Very Happy But then if you have a Syncro then yes a good deal. You don't need the hubs.
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.

Last edited by joseph928 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Hold The Phone - New Big Brakes! Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
$500 for brakes is cheap? I've never paid that much for my car, installed. Wink What was everyone paying when they were lucky enough to find them from SA?
photogdave wrote:

tam

The $499.95 price is for a Syncro application. They want $749.95 for a (*edit*) full 2wd kit with hubs.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]

Last edited by Christopher Schimke on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
ARMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I'm just in the market for that sorta thing. Wonder what wheels they will and will not work with? GW says: "...this kit will NOT work with European OEM Syncro-16 steel wheels and some other non-VW wheels." That doesn't instill a lot of promise to the buyer...
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Hold The Phone - New Big Brakes! Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
The $499.95 price is for a Syncro application. They want $749.95 for a 2wd kit.

From the description: "If you drive a 2WD Vanagon— and you do not currently have a big brake system installed —you'll also need our hub kit (available via the drop-down menu below)."

For the 2WDs, it depends on what your van currently has. Mine has the SA big brakes, so I wouldn't need the hub kit. If mine didn't have new-ish SA rotors, I'd be tempted with this new option. But Audi parts being available through multiple retailers make that option a tad more appealing (for if you have issues out on a road trip). Hmmm... kind of a tough choice. Think
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get why people want cheap. I love my rig and I want BAD ASS and I'm ok paying for it. I'm sick of cheap....no offence intended...just sayin'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:
I don't get why people want cheap. I love my rig and I want BAD ASS and I'm ok paying for it. I'm sick of cheap....no offence intended...just sayin'

I agree. So I'm wondering if these are cheap or low-priced.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the kit eurospec has been selling for years right?? While better than sock on my over loaded syncro... I've always wanted more.
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:

+1. I'm more than stoked with my Audi-based big brake kit from VC.

Last edited by Syncronoid on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read close these are not a really great long term solution.

It is NOT based on any other production out there.

Translation: Custom parts.

Single cylinder calipers. Sad

THey are GREAT for GW cause they are THE single source for the parts....wonderful.

Notice the list ZERO specs, except they have 28mm thick rotors.

My big brakes have ONE custom part per side. And it is NOT a wear item.

Oh ya, I also recycle the old front hubs, too.

The rest I can buy off the street from many different sources.

Let me add up the cost.....rotors $79, pads $45, hoses $30, Custom part $100, uncommon but off the shelf fasteners $10, $20 to machine old hubs. Plus Calipers.

So that is like $300 + calipers (free - $200) so that is like $300 - $500 all off the shelf stuff for 330 mm brakes.

I like mine just fine, and I do not think the GW is a real bargain.

BAM!

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
VWhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the rotors change ET difference on a Syncro? I'm curious how thick the rotor is where it mates to the hub. It would be nice if it didn't effect stock ET.
---------------------------------------------
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking I'll go with the VC kit because I want those SA hubs. I don't want cut down disc/hub parts cause it'll push my wheels outboard.

then I'll look into fitting G60 calipers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Hold The Phone - New Big Brakes! Reply with quote

$750 for brakes! Shocked Confused Shocked What do the Audi ones cost?

The $499.95 price is for a Syncro application. They want $749.95 for a (*edit*) full 2wd kit with hubs.

Now, I'm confused, would my stock 87 have brakes only on the back, or both back and front? If they are only on the back on such a heavy vehicle, got to wonder what they were thinking when they decided to do *that* Rolling Eyes

tam

Making it special:
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Hold The Phone - New Big Brakes! Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:

Now, I'm confused, would my stock 87 have brakes only on the back, or both back and front? If they are only on the back on such a heavy vehicle, got to wonder what they were thinking when they decided to do *that* Rolling Eyes

tam

Audi Big Brake kit at VC is $695. Most vans, unless modified, have drum brakes on the rear. I've upgraded mine to larger, thicker drums.
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Hold The Phone - New Big Brakes! Reply with quote

Thank you, that's what I thought people were implying (by the need to make additional parts for 2wd ones or ones w/ another upgrade! Now I'll call $695 cheap! Wink Not that I want cheap brakes or anything. I want ones that stop me fast when someone jumps in front of me!

tam
Syncronoid wrote:

Audi Big Brake kit at VC is $695. Most vans, unless modified, have drum brakes on the rear. I've upgraded mine to larger, thicker drums.

Making it special:
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Hold The Phone - New Big Brakes! Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:

Put it this way: What value do you place on safety, the brakes being high on the safety equipment list? To me, I'll happily spend the money to get my 5,000-pound brick to stop.

These are upgraded Vanagon brakes we're talking about here, not stock replacement parts. Wink

tam_shops wrote:
Now, I'm confused, would my stock 87 have brakes only on the back, or both back and front?

Both front (discs) and rear (drums). The new GW kit, the Audi kit, the SA kit are all upgrade replacements for the front brakes. You can also upgrade the rears as well.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
windnsea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having dealt personally with the owner of GW, here is another profession from a short person!

More weight = better thermal soak? This blatantly ignores disc cooling, ducting, whether the discs are cooled from the outer or inside surface, rear backing plates vented to provide cooling, etc. etc. and on!

I still prefer to use an Audi kit such as offered by Small Car Performance and use a cross drilled vented disc with better pads and a braided s/s Teflon brake line!

...just my 2-cents worth!
brownbus78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the money you can piece together your own braking system with good dual piston calipers, etc., but all things considered it looks to be a decent kit. Personally, money is no object when it comes to brakes. The van needs to stop when you need it to stop, not after the damage has been done.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: