Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Original non-factory Westfalia-converted Buses
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tacochris
OG Paint Archeologist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Original non-factory Westfalia-converted Buses Reply with quote

NAME CHANGED TO REFLECT NEW DIRECTION:

I wasnt able to find a good thread dedicated to no mcode westies, but it seems as of late, there is a decent few. If at all possible, unless the moderators deem otherwise, I would like to start this thread to be a registry of sorts, or just a place for no-mcode folk to gather and discuss or just show pics of our glorious bastard westies.
I'll start off:
This is my sea blue and white 66 tin-top westy
-no country code
-factory two tone
-steering column lock
-complete SO outfit
-riveted tent rail
-6 popout option
-all curtain rods present including cabin divider
-childs cot
-cabin privacy panels
-currently with remnants of an SO23ish interior but with features from other SOs including SO42 (Still working on decoding this mess)
-ordered by an individual in the service.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"Nothing will ever be as nice as original paint, no matter how much is or isnt left"

"Those that confuse hoodride with the OG paint movement definitely have their wires crossed. Its all about preservation, pulling out its true potential while hoodride is about purposely making something look like a piece of shit." -SKIM

Last edited by tacochris on Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
AJack500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My previous bus was a early '67 Euro delivery Pearl White Kombi that was bought in Germany by a guy in the Air Force and taken to the Westfailia factory, where it was outfitted with a SO-45 interior. After purchase it was taken to the US and sat since 1981. It was all grey factory primer in the cargo area with just the bed mounts riveted in. There was no interior when bought the bus but there was evidence from the interior panels remaining that it was an SO-45. It had a m-coded gas heater, steering column lock and emden radio. I sold it to pay for my '63 15w.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Non-mcoded westy roll-call Reply with quote

tacochris wrote:

Nice bus!
From the M-code plate, that looks like a standard sold in Europe spec'd for the N American market, not a bus originally buildt as a Westfalia.

If it was a westy, I would expect to see kombi (2313) and a paint code that started with 523.

what are
Quote:
-cabin privacy panels

does it have snaps or curtain rails round the cab area?
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got tripped up by it too.

Thread title: Non-mcoded westy roll-call
tacochris
OG Paint Archeologist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Non-mcoded westy roll-call Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
tacochris wrote:

Nice bus!
From the M-code plate, that looks like a standard sold in Europe spec'd for the N American market, not a bus originally buildt as a Westfalia.

If it was a westy, I would expect to see kombi (2313) and a paint code that started with 523.

what are
Quote:
-cabin privacy panels

does it have snaps or curtain rails round the cab area?
. Well, i totally understand your concerns...herein lies the problem, when you expect to look at a owner added westy you expect to see details missed when added to the bus...all snaps, brackets, rivets, covers and all other westy details are present and accounted for...including the cargo latch cover on the forward cargo door...if it wasnt a westy or intended to be a westy it wouldnt make sense to see all the details covered...

"Nothing will ever be as nice as original paint, no matter how much is or isnt left"

"Those that confuse hoodride with the OG paint movement definitely have their wires crossed. Its all about preservation, pulling out its true potential while hoodride is about purposely making something look like a piece of shit." -SKIM
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the cargo latch cover held by the door panel screws or spot welded?
tacochris
OG Paint Archeologist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Is the cargo latch cover held by the door panel screws or spot welded?
. Its held in by the door panel screws so its removable...

BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The metal cover plate on the edge of the cargo door is seen illustrated in the 1967 parts catalog for the Westfalia Campmobile. The part number is 231 067 099, and the parts book calls it a "door sill". I've seen 'em screw-on and also spot weld-on. Often removed on previous door panel restos by previous owners and eventually lost, they can be tough to locate.

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tacochris
OG Paint Archeologist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
The metal cover plate on the edge of the cargo door is seen illustrated in the 1967 parts catalog for the Westfalia Campmobile. The part number is 231 067 099, and the parts book calls it a "door sill". I've seen 'em screw-on and also spot weld-on. Often removed on previous door panel restos by previous owners and eventually lost, they can be tough to locate.

Bill Bowman
See, i just dont see a fake westy including these types of detail parts...

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Non-mcoded westy roll-call Reply with quote

Ah, I remember your bus. I didn't realize it was this bus cause the pics in the first post did not shows westyness.
From the pics in the other thread, I remember thinking it looks like originally a regular US spec bus sold in Europe, and it looked like it had been taken to Westfalia to be outfitted. It had remnants of a mosaic kit in it, not SO-23.

I think your title confused me. There are a bunch of factory outfitted westies that were made westies when new, but for some reason were not M-coded, these were no port code no M-code westies outfitted at Westfalia before being sold at the dealership. They have 523 paint codes.
I would not put your bus in that category, it is a different animal.

Should we say it is a bus that was outfitted at Westfalia after it was sold?
tacochris
OG Paint Archeologist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess i just dont know...theres just too much evidence that this bus was westfalia installed and not some joe-schmo making a camper out of a standard. I guess i just feel even though this bus may not be some textbook example it still does deserve a nod as being more than just another sea blue standard...

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tacochris wrote:
I guess i just dont know...theres just too much evidence that this bus was westfalia installed and not some joe-schmo making a camper out of a standard. I guess i just feel even though this bus may not be some textbook example it still does deserve a nod as being more than just another sea blue standard...

exactly.

It reminds me of the Dormobile SO-45 I think Justin owns it.
I have a couple pics of it, no m-code plate pic. IIRC correctly it is a euro delivery standard according to the m-code plate.
It looks to me that it was converted by Westfalia, but nothing on the tags says so. It does have the curtain snaps around the cab area.

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pics of tacochris's standard mircobus, that show westyness:

snaps for front curtains, curtain rod:

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also the cot holder thingies

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
tacochris
OG Paint Archeologist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
tacochris wrote:

exactly.

It reminds me of the Dormobile SO-45 I think Justin owns it.
I have a couple pics of it, no m-code plate pic. IIRC correctly it is a euro delivery standard according to the m-code plate.
It looks to me that it was converted by Westfalia, but nothing on the tags says so. It does have the curtain snaps around the cab area.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Ok let me lay out how it sounds in my head, even if Im over simplifying it:
It seems to me that while living in the states we could only get the certain types of westy coversions that westfalia offered through VW....BUT....to an individual living or staying around the westfalia factory, it would seem that out of pure convenience of being near the factory you could have them install whatever you wanted on site. Simply show up with your standard or panel and choose what you wanted and have it installed.......this would make sense as to why the bus is westfalia installed but is not an official westfalia licensed bus.
Kind of like having a large number of TRD parts on a Toyota Tundra as opposed to owning an offical TRD edition Tundra.
Make sense:

I know to some it would seem im making a larger deal out of this than it needs to be but I want this bus to continue on living as it was intended to be from the begining....this bus never had a long middle seat and back seat in it so I do not want to build it as such....it will remain a euro standard, us spec'd with a westfalia installed interior.

crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:

Bill Bowman

I have that part on my '66 Double Cab. It's original.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is that with no documentation it is all conjecture. That does not change the fact that it is a cool bus, but I doubt you will ever be able to say conclusively that it was a Westy factory conversion. I know some people get butt hurt about this idea, but should you choose to sell could you really market it as a Westy factory conversion without solid proof?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
tacochris
OG Paint Archeologist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Problem is that with no documentation it is all conjecture. That does not change the fact that it is a cool bus, but I doubt you will ever be able to say conclusively that it was a Westy factory conversion. I know some people get butt hurt about this idea, but should you choose to sell could you really market it as a Westy factory conversion without solid proof?

Well, my wife has fallen in love with this one so I dont forsee it being sold anytime in this generation.....BUT....in the spirit of answering the question, I would say no. I would market the bus as a euro delivered standard with westfalia trimmings...I would most likely present my list of items to the potential buyers and let them gather their own conclusion. I think calling the bus a true westy in the long run would be deceptive or wishful thinking at best.
However, i do think, going forward, building the bus as a standard transporter would be kind of a shame....I would like to just continue the camper life that it started with......it would certainly serve my family better as a camper.

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tacochris wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

Well, my wife has fallen in love with this one so I dont forsee it being sold anytime in this generation.....BUT....in the spirit of answering the question, I would say no. I would market the bus as a euro delivered standard with westfalia trimmings...I would most likely present my list of items to the potential buyers and let them gather their own conclusion. I think calling the bus a true westy in the long run would be deceptive or wishful thinking at best.
However, i do think, going forward, building the bus as a standard transporter would be kind of a shame....I would like to just continue the camper life that it started with......it would certainly serve my family better as a camper.

Agreed 100 percent. Nothing beats a Westy kit, original or not, for camping. Good luck with the project and look forward to seeing pictures of the completed project.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Mr. Oizo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a Westfalia SO23 myself and has the same deal...

It was common sence to buy a Combi or Microbus in the factory and drive it to the Westfalia factory. I was a sort of tourist delivery...

Mine is originally built by Westfalia but doesn't have the subhatch in it. Also Westfalia didn't remove some Microbus pieces like the bulkhead cap.

So not a SO23 on the ID plate, but still made by Westfalia.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: