Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacement 4" speakers for stock location in '91 westy
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Replacement 4" speakers for stock location in '91 westy Reply with quote

Hey all,

When we purchased our van, the p/o had installed some aftermarket 4" speakers in the stock locations. This weekend, on a trip down to Seattle from Vancouver, BC, we had our vehicle searched by US customs. After they waved us on our way, we proceeded to Seattle without noticing that the ever-inconsiderate customs officials had—apparently—ripped the passenger-side door grille off, presumably hunting for drugs or other contraband, and broken the grille in the process.

The damaged grille was not left in the van by them, and I'm assuming they just tossed the damned thing. We're extremely pissed off about it. And given that we're just some Canadians coming through for a visit, it seems that we've got less than zero recourse to get them to take responsibility... they can do whatever they like with absolute impunity. Ultra frustrating and disrespectful.

Anyhow. Now we need to figure out what speakers'll fit in the stock locations, as I refuse to just put up with the ugly exposed/ungrilled speaker in the door. Anything subtle (basic black, no cheesy accents, chrome, etc.), low-profile (ie. will clear the dash), and that won't require any mods to the door would fit the bill.

Recommendations much appreciated!!
jstar89crx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your experience. We take the Westy into BC or AB once a year for a trip and having US customs break apart my van upon return is always a concern of mine. If you were happy with the speakers you had how about looking for them on Ebay. I haven't shopped speakers for awhile but recall Crutchfield having a good site that narrows your search down by vehicle type.
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did really like the speakers in the van. Unfortunately, the speakers seem to be out of production—older Boston Acoustics RX47 speakers. Tried ebay, but no luck, unfortunately.

And it looks like they don't do any 4" speakers with grilles anymore (all of the ones on their site look like they're intended to hide behind stock grilles). Woe is me Sad

I'd really like to avoid getting stuck with a compromise and cramming whatever old thing happens to fit into the hole, or getting forced to undertake mods to the window crank or panel which we have no interest in undertaking just to fit up a speaker that doesn't suck. The current ones are nice and compact—no panel or window crank mods required.
cats_r_cute
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats outrageous. They just damage it and move on without a word. They feel empowered to do whatever they want. No recourse for any of us.
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your experience ~ no excuse for that on either side of the border.

Have you considered 6" down low in the door? I realize this would mean new cards, but you get way better sound, and have lots more choices in that position...
K58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not start a new whine thread about customs?
Pathetic.
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living just south of the Canadian border we get to experience the douchiness of border agents all of the time. And yes the Americans are by far the worst. Arrogant assholes seems to outnumber the decent ones and they really do not give a flying f... about anyone. Once they searched our bus and 'confiscated' one of two apples we had in the fridge, guess he was hungry. The time they wanted to take our nice farm-stand tomatoes I insisted on throwing them in the trash.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K58 wrote:
Why not start a new whine thread about customs?
Pathetic.

Rolling Eyes Uh... whatever dude. I don't see how this is any different than, for example, starting a bodywork thread with some contextualizing tale (eg. some dipsh*ts keyed my car...). Fact of the matter is that the customs dudes broke my stuff, hence the thread. Sorry for not just sucking it up and being unfazed by having my rights and property violated (in an admittedly minor way, but still violated, and rightfully anger-inducing).

If that's pathetic to you then, well... have fun with that real compassionate attitude. May it serve you well in life.

In the meantime, I need new speakers... constructive advice welcome. Bitchy snark, not so much.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoWesty sells Pioneer TS-D1002R. They are ~$53 on Amazon. I bought the same speakers but have not installed them so I cannot give a review - sorry.
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-D1002R-2-Way-Speaker-Watts/dp/B00399HKIY
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Alex Proulx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I am Canadian too and crossed the border 3 times to Maine and Vermont in the past 6 weeks and got super friendly and polite officers. So don't give up on them, there are some good ones out there Smile

I replaced all 4 speakers on the van recently, 5.25in in the back and 4in in the front at the stock location. I also could not find low profile grills for the 4in so I recycled the grills from my original blaupunkt speakers. On the original speakers the grill and the speaker is a solide unit, you need to cut the grill of the base with a hack saw and they should fit on any after market speakers. Mine were a bit worn out so I repainted them black with a spray can, they look like new. If you can't find old original speakers, Gowesty has a solution.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple good threads about upgrading Vanagon speakers using the stock grill. I realize you don't have the grill anymore, but I see used vanagon speakers/blaupunkt for sale here from time to time. While the stock speakers may lack some sound quality, the grill attachment is very clean. Look at this thread on how to upgrade stock speakers. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458623
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tim, if you want some stock grilles to work with: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/pts/4005475105.html

I should have a couple around here somewhere, too, but they'd be brown ones...
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: speakers Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus We put in 6 1/2 three ways , sound great fit good with the grills that came with them. But I guess it helps to have power windows! Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Boston Acoustics are still in good shape... Radio Shack used to sell generic black grilles. Not sure if they still do.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
GoWesty sells Pioneer TS-D1002R. They are ~$53 on Amazon. I bought the same speakers but have not installed them so I cannot give a review - sorry.
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-D1002R-2-Way-Speaker-Watts/dp/B00399HKIY

I did see those on the GoWesty site, but was hesitant due to having a generally low opinion of Pioneer's products through spotty past experiences. That said, they might sound great. Anyone else with a set of these who can attest to their merits (or lack thereof)?

rsxsr wrote:
There are a couple good threads about upgrading Vanagon speakers using the stock grill. I realize you don't have the grill anymore, but I see used vanagon speakers/blaupunkt for sale here from time to time. While the stock speakers may lack some sound quality, the grill attachment is very clean. Look at this thread on how to upgrade stock speakers. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458623

I've seen a few of these threads, but ultimately it sounds like more of a project than I've currently got time for—looking for something I can drop right in and be done with, ideally. Though... we'll see what direction reality winds up pushing me in...

Jake de Villiers wrote:
Hey Tim, if you want some stock grilles to work with: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/pts/4005475105.html

I should have a couple around here somewhere, too, but they'd be brown ones...

Hey Jake, thanks for the heads-up! If I can't track something else down in the next few days, I may be forced to go the blaupunkt-grille route.

shadetreetim wrote:
If the Boston Acoustics are still in good shape... Radio Shack used to sell generic black grilles. Not sure if they still do.

^^^ This. Is. Brilliant. Sincerely, I'm stunned that I hadn't thought to go on the hunt for some kind of generic replacement grille... Durrrh. Hopefully there's a grille out there that *just* clears the dash like the BA's do.... though I suppose I could always put the generic ones in the rear, and migrate the rear ones fwd to the doors if not... [Paces off to start looking up local car audio places...]
syncromike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=505294&start=0
I've had these Wal-Mart speakers for 18 months and they do the job. Once I put in some butyl matting and other noise control I might go for an upgrade, but if you're looking for something, inexpensive, low profile, readily available, and OK sound then these should do the trick.

****EDIT***** bummer, I guess these are NLA from Wal Mart. Oh well...
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
hippiepilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought some Kenwood KFC-1093PS speakers did a bit of dremel work on stock 91 Vanagon speaker covers and they sound fine.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: