Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bosch ZV/JCU 4R3 oddity
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Bosch ZV/JCU 4R3 oddity Reply with quote

I bought two NOS Bosch ZV/JCU 4R3 distributors, and when they arrived, one has what appears to be an old 36 horse vac can. Anyone ever see this in the past?

I posted a WTB ad for a replacement can a while back...so far, no one seems to have one (or is willing to part with one).

I'm curious as to why this might have been installed...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a 36hp vacuum canister. It must of been replaced at sometime.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי

Last edited by Glenn on Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply...any idea why the 36 hp can would have been installed vs. an original can?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
Thanks for the reply...any idea why the 36 hp can would have been installed vs. an original can?

No idea. It could be it got damaged between first assembled and later and was replaced.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Warren G.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch ZV/JCU 4R3 oddity Reply with quote

I have one too...
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch ZV/JCU 4R3 oddity Reply with quote

Warren G. wrote:
I have one too...

You have the correct vacuum can.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch ZV/JCU 4R3 oddity Reply with quote

Why are you assuming it was put on from new. It wasn't. Someone took the can off and put that one on. Typical "NOS" parts that are sold n now a days.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch ZV/JCU 4R3 oddity Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Why are you assuming it was put on from new. It wasn't. Someone took the can off and put that one on. Typical "NOS" parts that are sold n now a days.

Are you asking the OP?

They started this topic 11 years ago.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch ZV/JCU 4R3 oddity Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Are you asking the OP?

Shut up Glen. Im tired.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch ZV/JCU 4R3 oddity Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Glenn wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Are you asking the OP?

Shut up Glen. Im tired.

Easy there, being the cranky old man is my job.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
oldslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch ZV/JCU 4R3 oddity Reply with quote

So the question for the experts, will fitting the common 36hp vacuum can allow the ZV/JCU 4R3 to function properly? Like, pretty darn close, or no way no how.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch ZV/JCU 4R3 oddity Reply with quote

oldslow wrote:
So the question for the experts, will fitting the common 36hp vacuum can allow the ZV/JCU 4R3 to function properly? Like, pretty darn close, or no way no how.

It's close enough to make it work. As with anything if you are doing something that isn't stock you will want to listen to the engine carefully.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch ZV/JCU 4R3 oddity Reply with quote

oldslow wrote:

No, and I think no one knows. Get the proper can. To me having that dizzy AND having the proper can makes it what it is. If you don't care then run an OOOh 9. 😘 Doo what you gotta doo. But Im in the camp of "talk some shit" when I see you went the extra mile to have the right dizzy then said "hey, fuck it" Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch ZV/JCU 4R3 oddity Reply with quote

I had this conversation with a customer. The end result was that we were going to try it but we didn't. I have a few documents that describe both the VJU4BR8 and also the ZV/JCU 4R3. The details on the two documents tell me that it should work and that everything will be fine.

I have these little nipples that screw into the type 1 cans. This allows you to put a hose on them just as you would with the stock can.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch ZV/JCU 4R3 oddity Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
I had this conversation with a customer. The end result was that we were going to try it but we didn't. I have a few documents that describe both the VJU4BR8 and also the ZV/JCU 4R3. The details on the two documents tell me that it should work and that everything will be fine.

I have these little nipples that screw into the type 1 cans. This allows you to put a hose on them just as you would with the stock can.

If the proper cans were not available, Id say sure, go ahead and have a bastard mix. The OEM can is adjustable. Unless you know the adjustments for both, I wouldn't recommend it. There is no reason why you shouldn't take that extra step to make the 4R3 run as its supposed to. Sorry heimlich but a BR8 can is a hack to me at this point in parts finding history.

If not then just run a easier dizzy. There are plenty.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch ZV/JCU 4R3 oddity Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Sorry heimlich but a BR8 can is a hack to me at this point in parts finding history.

He asked if you could. Take it up with the person who asked the question.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch ZV/JCU 4R3 oddity Reply with quote

1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Engine. Has the 83mm domed pistons but with a 74mm counter weighted crank. Dual port heads - making me a Super 1600 VW style. What distributor do I have? A stock 1964 Only 4R3 distributor WITH Crack pipes. Cool

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch ZV/JCU 4R3 oddity Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
notchboy wrote:
Sorry heimlich but a BR8 can is a hack to me at this point in parts finding history.

He asked if you could. Take it up with the person who asked the question.

Just a point of view brother. Should shouldn't mean could if you know better. You can lead a horse to water..... Wink Just my 2 cents.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible

Last edited by notchboy on Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch ZV/JCU 4R3 oddity Reply with quote

Popcorn

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי

Last edited by Glenn on Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch ZV/JCU 4R3 oddity Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Popcorn

Shut up Glen. Go monitor the rants.... Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: