Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering box access
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hobie16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apchief wrote:
thanks for the input. Question, so could that worn out part on the sway bar be the cause of the shimmy, or its just another thing i have to fix?

Probably not. The anti sway bar only affects the lean of the vehicle when going around corners. Basically, it reduces it.

The previous mentioned list of things to check is the way to go.

If anything’s going to happen, it’s going to happen out there.
---Captain Ron
hobie16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apchief wrote:
thanks for the input. Question, so could that worn out part on the sway bar be the cause of the shimmy, or its just another thing i have to fix?

Probably not. The anti sway bar only affects the lean of the vehicle when going around corners. Basically, it reduces it.

The previous mentioned list of things to check is the way to go.

---Captain Ron
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apchief wrote:
you could leave the sway bar off and the thing just would not handle as good but don't leave it off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FV195
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

18f. 28 rear centerlines with hankook tires, ball joints can cause shimmy too, in the past two years I have replaced ball joints, tie rod ends, shocks, dampener. My front end is rock solid at any speed maxes out at 90mph rides smooth as butter
About 1/8" of toe in will help make it track straight, hope you get it figured out, I love driving my thing, looking forward to getting some snow to play in
hobie16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

---Captain Ron
apchief
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i let some air out but still causing issues. So I inspected the front end more carefully and found the culprit, the tie rod ed.

You can see its tilted forwards at an angle, looks like its about to break off. Should I just change the left inner tie rod end or the whole tie rod?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apchief wrote:

Just another thing to fix. The shimmy is likely caused by an out of balance or bent tire-wheel combo. Could also be a bad steering stabilizer along with other loose worn parts. As others mentions go with the cheap easy stuff first, though it is likely you have many parts and pieces that are worn out at this point.
MRJEL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apchief wrote:
well i let some air out but still causing issues. So I inspected the front end more carefully and found the culprit, the tie rod ed.

You can see its tilted forwards at an angle, looks like its about to break off. Should I just change the left inner tie rod end or the whole tie rod?

Chief,

That picture doesn't show any wear other than the cracked boot. Tie rods are designed to tilt that way. It may be bad, but not because of the tilt. See if reading this helps; http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/184

To answer your question, I would replace only what is worn. Since you have the shimmy trouble, I doubt only 1 tie rod is worn.
hobie16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't that expensive to replace the tie rod assemblies and throw in a dampener just to be safe.

---Captain Ron
apchief
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh really, so that looks normal? I thought it was bad because I looked at the other tie rod end and it doesn't tilt like that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apchief wrote:
oh really, so that looks normal? I thought it was bad because I looked at the other tie rod end and it doesn't tilt like that.

You need to loosen the jamb nut and clamp on the tie rod and align the ends to get maximun twisting movement for the rod. The way things are presently adjusted will cause binding and wear. The present angle of the joint is not due to wear, but could and will cause excess wear to occur.

Replacement tierod boots can be obtained from many vendors.

You need to crawl underneath and feel for play in the tierods, steering gear, ball joints, etc while your pretty lady rocks the steering wheel back and forth. With experience you can detect just a few thousandths of slop in a joint using your fingers.
apchief
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I finally changed the tie rod ends and it seems the shimmy is gone. I basically tried to screw them in the same position as the old ones. Still trying to find someone to do an alignment for this type of car.

The only thing I noticed, but I think its unrelated, is that my steering wheel is at a sharp angle when going straight.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to lengthen one tie rod and shorten the other to align the steering wheel, but first you need to get your toe in close. To adjust your toe you don't need any measuring device besides a tape measure. You can find instructions on doing this on the web.

You can also adjust your camber if need be with little more than a torpedo level.
RocklinDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box access Reply with quote

Have access, Need to remove, replace the steering box on my 74 Thing. Can not find any videos, and just one rather vintage step by step in an old Chelton manual. any help, direction please. Thank you.
Now just a hotrodder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: