Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 Super VWrx
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huufhearted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: 72 Super VWrx Reply with quote

A few months ago we picked up a 72 super beetle for $500. I needed a project and the wife wanted something that I could possibly finish. After getting the beetle, I found that anytime I looked for something, I ended up on this site, so figured it was time to say hello.

The day we picked it up:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There is a bit of surface rust, and major rust from the side vents. Another item I quickly learned about the dreaded foam, but I have a solution for that I will get to in a minute.

Now, before we begin, this isn't a normal build, as hopefully highlighted by the thread line Very Happy

This bad boy is going in the back:

It is a 2012 WRX engine with about 7k on the odometer. I have a modified 2011 WRX now, so this was an easy choice.

I've been making a good bit a progress, but mainly have been amassing parts:

2012 WRX engine with ECU. Stock HP around 265, with the mods I will have to make for the engine to fit, and for the "while I'm in there", I should have the car running around 300 hp/tq to the wheels, but if I go E85, which I'll be setup to do, this easily goes to ~330whp/380wtq (based on subarus running this setup)

WRX Gas Pedal (needed for the DBW system)

WRX Transmission. Housing is modified for the new gearset (Subarugears).

Subarugears Engine and Transmission Mount (on their way!)

Surge Tank setup with Aeromotive 1000 pump

F/R disk brake kit (non-drilled. Going to go with 5x100 to fit my stock WRX wheels i have lying around the house. Yes fitment MAY be an issue, that will be tackled as it comes)

New Front suspension/bushings

Rear Bushings

I still need the following parts:

Complete Wiring - Non of the VW wiring was kept
Gauges
misc transmission parts including ring/pinion (subarugears)
axles/cv joints (planning on using the 930 extended flanges)
Cooling System
Front Coilovers
Rear shocks
Seats
and various other items

Plans for the car are to get it running. I'm don't really care to make it look pretty. I like the rust really, gives the car character. However, I do have a plan to get rid of those pesky rust spots by the side vents, especially since I'm going to need air in the back for cooling.

Mock up of side vents:

Mock up of air box that will feed into a new firewall with the radiator in the back

Initial cuts for side vents:

I only got one side done. It was a pain to cut this with an angle grinder and dremel, however, I have a solution that is on the way this week.

I got this far and was really contemplating taking the body off of the pan. Finally decided that it would make this process much easier, so took the week of Thanksgiving and went to work. Surprised how easy it is to dismantle these cars. Actually, I'm pretty scared. With the amount of power going in the back, a roll cage and other reinforcements are going to be required.

Only rust on the pan is where the battery sat (another thing I have learned) but I found a local store that carries VW parts and picked up a new piece to be welded in here this weekend.

New Suspension Going together:

removing years of rust and red dirt

Whew. I think I'm done for tonight.
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are you gonna use the Subi CAN-BUS electrics?
that;s gonna be a lot of work to get setup in a VW.
Huufhearted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
So are you gonna use the Subi CAN-BUS electrics?
that;s gonna be a lot of work to get setup in a VW.

Yeah, there is a lot to sort through

Wiring is going to suck. The engine has most of the sensors; it will be just tying it all together. Since I'm starting with a clean slate, I am hoping that I will be able to wire it as I see fit. I will be using Subaru parts for this as well, so really it will come down to where to run the wires. That is how I see it in my head, how it actually happens, remains to be seen.
runchman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow and this is a project that's sold to the wife as something you'll actually finish?

Good luck, what a lot to take on!

And I don't mean that as a slam - I can just relate as unfinished projects are my specialty Smile

Keep up the posting, looks like a really cool project.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will you do mine when you're done--I'm right next door

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Huufhearted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runchman wrote:
Wow and this is a project that's sold to the wife as something you'll actually finish?

Good luck, what a lot to take on!

And I don't mean that as a slam - I can just relate as unfinished projects are my specialty Smile

Keep up the posting, looks like a really cool project.

I am very familiar with unfinished projects. I spent a weekend cleaning out my garage of things that werent completed to startthis project, so I will need all the luck I can getting this on the road.
Huufhearted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Will you do mine when you're done--I'm right next door

You may want to see how this one turns out first. This may be an example of how not to do this kind of restoration.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will end up with one fast and realiable Super Beetle.
Keep us updated from time to time.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think long and hard about trying to use a rear mounted radiator.

No point putting all that power in if you can't use it because the cooling system can't keep up.

My inboxes are full of PMs from people who have tried to make rear mounts work.
Some get the car drivable but if they try and push it the cooling system just isnt up to the task and they end up having to move it to the front anyway after they have already hacked up the back of the car.
Huufhearted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
Think long and hard about trying to use a rear mounted radiator.

No point putting all that power in if you can't use it because the cooling system can't keep up.

My inboxes are full of PMs from people who have tried to make rear mounts work.
Some get the car drivable but if they try and push it the cooling system just isnt up to the task and they end up having to move it to the front anyway after they have already hacked up the back of the car.

I do appreciate the heads up. From what little I have searched on the cooling part, it seems that both setups (front or back) have inherent issues. But that is what you get for a vehicle not designed for water cooling. Again, I haven't done much research on the subject yet and I know they are out there, but I don't really see many pictures on to how they set it up to get an idea of what to/not to try. There are a couple out there, but nothing to conclusive for me

To me, the items like this of the build are the ones that get me excited. It's a bit of a challenge, but an opportunity to try a number of things and hopefully come out on top. If not, try something else. However, no reason to reinvent the wheel. If you have any examples of rear setups that haven't worked, please pass them along. Setting up the cooling system will be one of the last items to do, so I have some time to search around a bit.

One option I was looking into was doing a wing on the back. I have to search around, but there was a subaru build where they made a flat wing, cut louvres in the top and ran a box to the TMIC. Mount the radiator, plumb it, design a shutoff/quickrelease system so it can be easily removed without dumping fluid, air deflector above the rear window (like the 06-07 STi's have), and voila! Hmm, may go this route now that I have typed it up.

I really liked how the side vents were mocked up, so if I don't use them for the radiator, I may go ahead and get a Air-Water IC setup, and use the vents for that since air flow to the rear is the issue.
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is literally 100s of front mount set ups out there, the main time they have probs is when people dont get enough air to them, or it cant get away from behind, or they just run the cooling lines badly with high spots and get air locks.

I've got an EJ25 in mine too, its been on the road for 4 and half years and clocked up 70K and thats through Aussie summers which can get up to 110f with A/C. adding to the heat.

of the rear ones that work most are Bajas where they are lifted with lots of air flow underneath and less bodywork at the back so it can get away or they have the rad sitting above the engine as a rear wing in the air flow.
I've come across one or 2 street bugs where the rear quarter windows are removed and scoops fitted in there place

Andrews old Wasserboxer with rear rad was one of the cleanest installs I've seen.
He had it going for several years afaik but his was also totally dependant on the fan for air flow.
if the fan burns out from running continously you're stranded.

The beauty of the front is natural air flow does all the work.
I can drive 100s of miles without the fans running, the most was over 1500kms, they onlyy come on after I stop moving for more than 5 mins.
Its very hard to get that same volume of air through a rad in the back with only scoops then have a low pressure area behind suck it out without recirculating.
Fans work up to a point but then the heat load of the engine at higher speeds becomes too much for fans alone.
Huufhearted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, thanks for the info. I may be an individual that sends a few PMs your way come time for the radiator setup.

Here is the build with the wing setup that I like, since I have already repurposed my rear deck, I would be going a similar route anyway .

This thing is a monster. Way more time, money and talent put into this one than I may ever do. Though, gives me something to work toward.

http://radiumauto.com/media/blog-page.php?The-Classic-VW-Bug-82

Did some touch-ups to the suspension pieces:

and recieved a nice christmas present from some Aussies:

Brake kit comes possibly end of the week. I may have found a local place to drill the rotors. Then its onto test fitting everything.
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huufhearted wrote:
Again, thanks for the info. I may be an individual that sends a few PMs your way come time for the radiator setup.

feel free, it's always easier learning from other peoples mistakes and wins.

The wing radiator setup works cos its catching air, I was thinking you were trying to do what most do and mount it in the parcel tray where there is no airflow and the heat can't get away.
Huufhearted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brake kit is in and hopefully I will have the rotors lined out to be drilled locally this week. Plan is to have the rear bushings done, mount the engine/trans, then start cutting at the back for fitment.
ron169
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

following good luck
Huufhearted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to do another direction in the build and make this thing into a baja. "but wait, it's a super" yes, that is why I have an A-Arm suspension coming in as we speak! Plan is to go a-arm in the front and either 3x3 or 5x5's in the rear. Thankfully I haven't bought the ring and pinion yet as Subarugears has a new ratio for larger tires they just introduced. I need to find out what size I can go up to, but I would like to run 31 or so. Got a plan for the front and will be getting a cage and modifying it a bit.

I did replace the battery tray that was rusted through with the most horrendous weld job ever. All I know is it isn't going anywhere.

I have some work to finish up tomorrow on the pan, then see if there is anything worth taking a picture of. We'll see.
olmer2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to flip the differential in the Subaru transaxle or mid-mount the engine?
74 bug http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=547777
Huufhearted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to flip the diff. I thought about midmount, but having access to a larger gear ratio to run large tires solidified that choice.
Huufhearted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A-Arms mocked up a bit. Just need to have some time at home and nice weather to finish them up and put them in the car. I should be getting a cage next week to start getting that together to begin with the rear suspension.

Got a good deal on a WRX brake/clutch pedal assembly WITH the brake booster and clutch master/slave. So this thing is going to have power brakes, power steering and cruise! I have figured out that trying to stuff one type of car parts into another isn't cheap...but sure is fun!

Before the "the geometry is not correct" comments, there is a bit of modification to the setup as it is now. I have to raise the upper arms by 2.5" and will make the width between the center tubes around 11" to clear the center of the pan head. I will weld it up as it sits, then start chopping things up. I already have the bars cut for the extensions, just need a tubing notcher to do it correctly. Once that is done, I'll get the steering box and shocks to mount them to the cartridge, then weld it to the pan.

I'm just happy with progress...
Huufhearted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another view of the arms...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: