Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 190, 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

The throttle cable tube between body and engine might be wrapped around something taking up too much slack. Could also be your cable is too short?

My 2003 sits on a 1966 tunnel and I have to pull the cable at the engine end pretty snug to get full WOT.
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

coolbugfan wrote:
Hi All,

Still having issues with the car (1995). It seemed really gutless to drive, then I found out the throttle was only opening half way. I seem to have a little over half the necessary travel for the throttle. The cable is good. The pedal moves through the normal range of motion (compared it to a mid-60s German Beetle and the throttle travels were the same). I can adjust the cable for WOT at full pedal travel, but that means a VERY fast ‘idle’ once the clutch goes in as the throttle can never get close to closed.

Any ideas?
How to get more ‘throw’ on the throttle?
How to get more travel on the pedal?
Anything else.

I will include a photo of the current throttle body. Past owners have been very ham fisted with the car. Is anything set up wrong?

Much thanks Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The cable looks the same as mine, connecting to the throttle body.

2002 VW Mexican Bug 1600i
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Looking closer, your throttle cable tube is closer to the throttle body. My throttle cable tube is set closer to fan housing, maybe 1” closer to the fan housing.
That might be jamming the stroke of the cable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

You are right. I haven’t noticed the tube positioning causing any issues/differences but I’m still open to any and all suggestions. Been too busy to investigate today and Sunday looks very rainy. 😥
1992 Mexican Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:40 pm    Post subject: 1992 Mexican beetle Reply with quote

I'm trying to find a paint code for touch-up.
I've found the VIN in 4 different locations, bit no data plate.

TIA

Mike R.

coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Try googling and looking at USA spec VWs from the same year. I bet you will find a US model with the same colour. Then one of the paint manufacturers’ websites will get you the right code. I tried to look up both ‘Beetle’ and 1600i and they did not exist because EVERYONE knows VW stopped making Bettle in MY 1979 Rolling Eyes
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1992 Mexican beetle Reply with quote

1992 Mexican Beetle wrote:
I'm trying to find a paint code for touch-up.
I've found the VIN in 4 different locations, bit no data plate.

TIA

Mike R.

Looks like a 1976 VW Bug Viper Green.
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

That paint code is 708F52 if you need it.
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

coolbugfan wrote:
Try googling and looking at USA spec VWs from the same year. I bet you will find a US model with the same colour. Then one of the paint manufacturers’ websites will get you the right code. I tried to look up both ‘Beetle’ and 1600i and they did not exist because EVERYONE knows VW stopped making Bettle in MY 1979 Rolling Eyes

That's what I did with my 2003, just searched VW colors for the same year and presto!

https://www.automotivetouchup.com/touch-up-paint/volkswagen/2003/all-models/

Bought a touch up pen from the above and really like it.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

A few days I got a PM asking about a post I made a long time ago. The picture in the post was the last part of a larger article comparing the 1999 (Water Cooled) New Beetles to the 1999 Air Cooled Beetles from March 1999 Hots VW.

The full article is here (the last section I originally posted as it was the section about the Open Air models, last page here):

1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

So cool! Thanks for sharing. I used Beetle Mex when I bought my Bug back in 2003.

Dan
nobodydontknow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I'm thinking of picking up a Mexican Beetle and bringing it to the US. I grew up with air-cooled VWs in Brazil, and I used to have a '66 Beetle ~ 30 years ago. I'd like one to use as my summer daily driver.

I'm in Illinois, so because of emissions testing I have to get a '95 or older. I'm thinking a '90 - '95.

Here's my plan:

Find a customs broker and arrange for them to file paperwork for me.
    Find an auto transporter and arrange for pickup in Laredo, TX
    Find several available Beetles for sale in Monterrey, Mexico, then arrange to meet on a Saturday. I've seen quite a few good options on Facebook Marketplace.
    Fly to Monterrey, then check out the cars with my co-worker who lives near there, and/or a mechanic.
    Buy one in decent shape, then drive the next day to Laredo, TX (I know about the 3 forms I need, and I've reviewed https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/importing-car)
    Meet the auto transport company in a parking lot near the airport, then fly home to Chicago from there.

Any holes in my plan?

I have driven in Mexico before, from Laredo as far as Mexico City and back, but that was a long time ago.

From a reliability and maintainability standpoint, and I better off with a carbureted, non-catalytic one, or are the fuel injected ones better?

Thanks!
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

nobodydontknow wrote:

From a reliability and maintainability standpoint, and I better off with a carbureted, non-catalytic one, or are the fuel injected ones better?

Thanks!

In my opinion, warning Smile : I am bias as I have a '96; the fuel injected ones may be a bit more reliable, but getting some parts in the US may be a little more challenging, but doable. Most parts are the same as the older cars, but a few are unique and (for the most part) still available in Mexico. The fuel injected engine was introduced in 1993. Some of the parts for the fuel injected cars are the same as the '90s era Golfs/Jettas, etc and are readily available, just not in the place where you might search for air-cooled parts. I have even just bought parts at the dealer, in stock Smile .

There a few unique things about the carb based ones as well (different from the older German cars), I don't really know much about them, except that prior to 1991 they shared more with the older cars. In 1991, VW of Mexico switched some of the electrical stuff (and seats, steering wheel) to be the same as the Golf. That is 2 years prior to the switch to the fuel injected engines.

Good Luck on your search and keep us posted!
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

nobodydontknow wrote:
... my co-worker who lives near there,

I think it would be better to get your friend to do the shopping for you first. Then when he finds a good one, fly down and get it.
The majority of Beetles in Mexico are junk. They aren't a collector car like in the US that's treated like a princess. In Mexico they are just a cheap car.
Get the newest car you can find. It will have a better chance of being less beat up.
airkewld0scar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:29 pm    Post subject: Rear brakes on 98 beetle Reply with quote

I need to replace my rear drum brakes. Can I use late model brakes as a replacement? I need to replace everything, drums, cylinder, shoes, hardware and will also be replacing the lines.
Any help and links to parts I can buy stateside would be helpful.

Thanks.
2007 GTI (past)
2015 GTI (past)
1998 Mexican Sedan (current)
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Rear brakes on 98 beetle Reply with quote

airkewld0scar wrote:
I need to replace my rear drum brakes. Can I use late model brakes as a replacement? I need to replace everything, drums, cylinder, shoes, hardware and will also be replacing the lines.
Any help and links to parts I can buy stateside would be helpful.

Thanks.

That's a good question, I haven't had to replace any rear brake parts on my 2003 yet. I do have everything all apart (trans out) and it looks like standard 1968 swing axle brakes to me.

Hopefully someone who's done rear brakes will chime in.

-Dan
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear brakes on 98 beetle Reply with quote

Root_Werks wrote:

Hopefully someone who's done rear brakes will chime in.

-Dan

I replaced the rear brakes on my '96 a few years ago using the 68-79 shoes from Wolfsburg West. I also ordered, but did not use the springs, clips for the 68-79 brakes, they were all the same.

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113609537C
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
glassbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I got a Brazilian decklid to hang on my wall, but I have a few questions to ask. First off, what are these three holes for?
1992 Mexican Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Just a guess, but maybe the volkswagen badge?
glassbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Here is another picture of them. The bottom center might be for a license plate bracket. the other two on the left?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 190, 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 191 of 193

Jump to: