Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone have the GoWesty/Van-Cafe/Rhino Center Console?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Anyone have the GoWesty/Van-Cafe/Rhino Center Console? Reply with quote

Does anyone here have the GoWesty/Van-Cafe/Rhino Center Console?

Links Here:
http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=23948&category_id=&category_parent_id=

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_2067_130/center_console_with_storage_drawer.html

Im just kind of curious to see what you guys think of them. I currently have a longer console that sits between the front seats but I dont like how it completely blocks the aisle way.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't like how the gear selector display is completely blocked on the auto version. I can count and go by feel but makes it tough for anyone not so familiar. Without the whiskers you could lean over and see but it seems awkward/unsafe to me.

Looks good for a standard tranny though as you are going by feel anyhow and not blocking a shift indicator.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have one, and wonder what the reach would be like to actually get your beverage out of the holder?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something to get in the way of my big feet as I go from the front to the back!
human compass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like it. I'ld love to hear real world experience, especially for the manual version
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered one last week (black/automatic)... I used the 15% off st patricks day coupon and all of my saved up Gobucks in order to get about $100 knocked off the price.

I'll give some feedback on it once I get it... Thanks
dachary
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought the manual version from GoWesty a while ago - it actually took about 6 weeks for it to get here. It's well-made, and it sits beautifully in the van... but unfortunately our manual shifter has WAY too much travel to use the console with it.

I've been trying to figure out how to deal with it since we spent so much on the console and we think it's a million times better than the cheap Wal-Mart plastic dealie sitting on the floor that we're constantly kicking and is too far away to easily reach our drinks in. My current theory is that we've got a mismatched shifter and shifter mount - we've got the angle mount *and* a shifter that has a bend in it. In second gear, the shifter is against the side of the knee, and to get into reverse, we actually have to put the shifter in front of the right knee.

I'm trying to figure out now whether we can safely just bend the shifter, and if so, what's the best way to do it. As soon as we figure that out we'll install the console.

IMO, it's far superior to a console that sits in the middle. Much easier to step through into the back. My trick is to lift your feet up and over to swing around to the middle between the seats, and step through from there. If I tried to step directly through without lifting feet over the seat, I'd probably kick it a lot.
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow that is weird with the shifter situation... yea.. i'd try to figure out a way to get that lined out as well...

the complaints ive seen about the automatic version which is what i bought is not having the visual confirmation that its in D and not in not in 2.... Ill prolly just drop a marker of some sort on the console so I know Im in D for sure...

I cant wait til it gets here but yea im expecting the worst just in case. 6 weeks.
hyperlite2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually won the manual version at syncrofest 2013. I love mine and it looks like they added a light to it which is pretty cool. I can't imagine not having it now that I've been riding around with it for almost a year.
paparhino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few things for everybody to know. I designed and personally build the consoles. The shift area on a few that have been sent out was too small because the throw on their shifter was to loose. After adjustment it was fine. If you put in new seal and guides the shift throw is reduced. If I had gone bigger with the area it would have made cup holders useless. The brushes on the automatic were not put on by me, that was a Van Cafe modification. I wasn't completely happy with my first configuration on the automatic, so I have narrowed the gap down and included vinyl stickers for the customer to apply after install. I would love to put in led or dimensional letters but it would be cost prohibitive. Well, unless ya'all want to pay more! So far there are 54 out there on the road from Canada, to Alaska, to Hawaii. The only complaints so far were the shift area, the PRNDL markings, and one of the led motion controlled light was faulty. Another question was install hardware. It is bolted down with 2, either through bolts through the floor, or self tapping screws into the deck. I don't provide them because it depends on how they are to be installed. Louis Warfield at Rhino Design Studio.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paparhino wrote:
A few things for everybody to know. I designed and personally build the consoles. The shift area on a few that have been sent out was too small because the throw on their shifter was to loose. After adjustment it was fine. If you put in new seal and guides the shift throw is reduced. If I had gone bigger with the area it would have made cup holders useless. The brushes on the automatic were not put on by me, that was a Van Cafe modification. I wasn't completely happy with my first configuration on the automatic, so I have narrowed the gap down and included vinyl stickers for the customer to apply after install. I would love to put in led or dimensional letters but it would be cost prohibitive. Well, unless ya'all want to pay more! So far there are 54 out there on the road from Canada, to Alaska, to Hawaii. The only complaints so far were the shift area, the PRNDL markings, and one of the led motion controlled light was faulty. Another question was install hardware. It is bolted down with 2, either through bolts through the floor, or self tapping screws into the deck. I don't provide them because it depends on how they are to be installed. Louis Warfield at Rhino Design Studio.

Very good to know.. I currently have one on order and can't wait to see it in person. I'm glad to hear about the vinyl stickers that are included. I've been looking for a set online to do just that. Good to know I don't need to get them myself.
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paparhino wrote:
A few things for everybody to know. I designed and personally build the consoles....
Louis Warfield at Rhino Design Studio.

Hey there I have a question.. I have one of these consoles on order and was wondering what the dimensions of the front of the drawer on the console. LxW

Thanks
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Something to get in the way of my big feet as I go from the front to the back!
exactly!!
THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered the console while GoWesty had their 15% off sale during St Pattys day and i cashed in a bunch of my GoBucks as well. It took exactly 4 weeks to get to my door from the day it was ordered. not bad at all... i actually got it a lot quicker than i anticipated.

Louis Warfield from Rhino Design Studio that makes these spec to order called and told me I'd be getting one of the newer revisions of the console. I has a much narrower channel for the shaft of the gear shift AND it has laser cut white gear indicators mounted to the top.

The lettering was something i intended to add myself somehow but its VERY NICE to have them already included. I really like it

kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People think my van is clean, your van makes mine look nasty! Console looks great!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question for Houston Photog, how is the console attached at the floor? I'm thinking I'd go with one, but not sure I want to attach it through my rubber aisle mat. Looks fantastic in your van!
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuleinc wrote:
People think my van is clean, your van makes mine look nasty! Console looks great!

Whats funny is I JUST finally cleaned the floor and mats after owning my Westy for 8 months, I just never took the time to clean it. I till wanna shampoo/clean the carpets/seats.

1621 wrote:
Question for Houston Photog, how is the console attached at the floor? I'm thinking I'd go with one, but not sure I want to attach it through my rubber aisle mat. Looks fantastic in your van!

I dont have pics of this yet but inside theres a little floor where the sliding drawer rests on. on this floor there are two larger (1/2" dia maybe) countersunk areas with a hole in order to add your own screws to mount to the van floor. I will mount it to the floor and through the aisle mat. the aisle mat floor i have is very robust and im sure if I ever removed the console the holes were the screws once were wont even be that noticeable.

I'l have some more photos of it this week.
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that looks pretty darn terrific.
I think it's going to be my next toy from Van Cafe. Smile

When I first got my van, I tried the huge console thing between the two front seats. That lasted for one trip. It was WAY too big and bulky and blocking movement between the front seats in the back.

Between a burgeoning collection of electronic gadgets, and the required Useful Small Items needed for a good road trip, some sort of fairly unobtrusive upfront storage is starting to become a real necessity.

This looks like it fits the bill nicely. Rhino, thanks for coming up with this, and good luck in your business!

-CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dachary
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So FWIW, we had our shop inspect our shift linkage, replace worn bushings and even bend our shifter but the console still won't work with all gears (manual trans). It bounces a little between all shifts and turns itself diagonally clockwise, and we have to tip it over a little bit to get into reverse. We really like the console and want to use it, so we're going to try cutting out the opening a little bit more. It's the 1/2 reverse side (left) where the console just doesn't quite work. So if you've got a Frankenvan like us, it may need some modding to work.
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... I spent the weekend modifying my Rhino center console...

I just posted a complete write up and build pics here... So far I'm pleased with how it turned out.

More info here:
http://dasmotoclub.com/vanagon-subwoofer/

Thanks Louis for the help you gave me over the phone!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: