Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear KYB-KG5530 shocks too short
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasted youth/adulthood wrote:
Joey wrote:
The OE shock that originally came on a '72-'79 type 2 is 22.95" fully extended.
The KG5530 (Gas-s-Just) is 22.2" fully extended.
The 344082 (Excel-G) is 23.03" fully extended.

Well, then does .75" make a significant difference? Just curious, not trying to be adamant. Will the Excel-G style be better for "off-road" applications?

I think it does with a shock that doesn't have an internal stop. A shock with no internal stop that gets over-extended frequently won't last long. There's probably a reason the original shocks VW installed were longer than the total suspension travel - the top mounts not being strong enough may be one of them.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joey wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
Just a note:

The wheel bearing housing can be rotated on the spring plate when the four Big Bolts are loose. Depending on your toe and caster requirements, you can have a wheel bearing housing that is "rotated" forward enough that the short shocks just about almost work on the later suspensions. In other instances, the shock mounting is a mile away from the short shocks. Either way, get the correct shock travel for your car.
Colin

I thought about rotating the wheel bearing housing. But, I currently have no problems with rear tire wear or the way it handles so I think I'll leave things be.

Oh I wasn't recommending that anyone do such a thing, I was answering to those who have said that the short shocks fit their later bus.
The wheel bearing housing needs to be exactly where it needs to be for camber/toe.
Colin Embarassed
Chodel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought these $20 shock extensions. I had to drill new holes above them, cause the holes there make the extension not fit.

It works just fine on my bus, just thought i'd post this for anyone having trouble with their rear shocks on their late bays.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331108902653?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

larryducas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the kyb gas g on my 71. I love them, replaced older, but still good gas a adjust.

They work great.

Rear #344045, dont know front number.

May not apply, but I want to say that the gas g work great for me in all 4 corners.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of pictures of my KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, P/N KG5530, rear application. I have removed the bottom anchor bolt and let them extend on their own until they stopped. They are specified to extend to 22.2 inches, and in the pictures they are fully extended with the trailing arm resting on its bottom stop. Note they are also at their maximum travel.

No sales pitch here, rather I was previously asked to see how well they extend with the car on jacks and trailing arm bottomed out. There are a couple more pictures in my gallery.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, funny how they exactly line up with the bolt hole - almost like they were forced to extend that long... Think

Mine were about a bolt width away from lining up.

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joey wrote:
Hmm, funny how they exactly line up with the bolt hole - almost like they were forced to extend that long... Think

Mine were about a bolt width away from lining up.

When I installed these new on the 1973, the bus was not jacked up, and I seem to recall there was about two inches left when I put them on, but at the time I had no reason to be concerned. This picture was taken with about 2,200 miles on them. I cannot say whether they have been extended by use to the point where they match up close to the bolt holes, but I have my doubts. For them to be extended that far, I would have to be driving around with the trailing arm riding on the stop. These were first installed on my 1973 bus, then when I parked that I moved them over to my 1977 bus.

I'm not sure why yours were too short...or maybe mine are too long for the part number design? Maybe I was sent the incorrect shocks? At any rate, I hope it all works out.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the KYB website and searched the product by part number only and noted that their application for the KG5530 applies to rear application for 1974-1968 Transporter and 1979-1968 Campmobile, and shows extend length at 22.2 inches, with a compressed length of 13.74 inches for whatever that's worth.

I then searched by vehicle application (1973 Transporter) and showed more options: Excel-G 344045 with a shorter (!) extended distance of 21.97 inches, but advising Use Kit #107; Recommended OE Replacement. The kit 107 is merely a bolt sleeve kit, nothing about extending the reach.

Not saying that is the gospel here, just noting what KYB shows for the application.

Also, searching out KYB 344082 on their website shows up as "no parts found" Question
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how far my shock extends:

Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot say whether they have been extended by use to the point where they match up close to the bolt holes, but I have my doubts. For them to be extended that far, I would have to be driving around with the trailing arm riding on the stop.

It would only take one instance of your suspension to go fully extended to permanently over extend the shock.

Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, searching out KYB 344082 on their website shows up as "no parts found" Question

The part number is in this list: http://www.kyb.com/knowledge-center/shock-tech-for-pros/dimensions/

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone actually checked to see that these shocks don't have an internal stop? Replacement shocks are typically designed for the broadest range of applications possible so are apt to have a stop. The original shock that VW used may not have had a stop because it saved VW 2 cents per vehicle.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Anyone actually checked to see that these shocks don't have an internal stop? Replacement shocks are typically designed for the broadest range of applications possible so are apt to have a stop. The original shock that VW used may not have had a stop because it saved VW 2 cents per vehicle.

In the link I posted above it indicates no internal stop.

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joey wrote:
Here's how far my shock extends:

Well, that's f***ed up. I wouldn't want to install that either. I wonder what's going on with this?
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Anyone actually checked to see that these shocks don't have an internal stop?

That would mean disassembling one, right? Can't say that I've done that.

Joey wrote:

The part number is in this list: http://www.kyb.com/knowledge-center/shock-tech-for-pros/dimensions/

OK, I only put that part number in their Search By Part Number box on the Catalog webpage. Didn't look further.
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The KYB 344082s worked great for me. Very Happy

Here's how far they extend past the lower mount.

Compared to the old shocks. The KYBs are just slightly longer.

And installed.

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bala, your first picture is with the tire on the ground, but to compare with those above we'd have to see it on a jack stand/off the ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Bala, your first picture is with the tire on the ground, but to compare with those above we'd have to see it on a jack stand/off the ground.

I didn't think there was a question as to whether these particular shocks were long enough or not. I had no over extension issues with the old ones (I've done some "off road" camping too), so I am relatively certain these new ones have plenty of travel since they are a bit longer. But, for reference, I see how a jacked up, fully extended picture would be helpful, I should have thought of that. Confused I'll snap a picture next time I get a chance!

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured you knew Wink

But for the sake of readers everywhere, and for science!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
I figured you knew Wink

But for the sake of readers everywhere, and for science!!

Ha!

Silly mistake, I used metric grade 8.8 bolts thinking they were the same as SAE grade 8 bolts. So, I'll be replacing those soon if I can find them locally. Will give me an excuse to get pictures too. Smile

1966 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: