Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

BonTonRoulet wrote:
Realizing now that one of the old VW vans I bought for parts then re-sold what was left back about 1992 was an Alabama Camper. The hinges, door knob and aluminum trim on the hanging clothes cabinet, and the plywood hinge system and aluminum legs of the folding bed was the dead give away. I kept the folding rear seat/bed system and the hanging clothes cabinet. Installed it in my 66 Microbus and enjoyed it for several years. Took it all out years ago, stored it away and someone temporarily removed the cabinet from storage and left it out to be rained on before putting it back in storage. So now, other than the hardware, what was left of the paneling was my pattern to re-create the cabinet. I've got most of the pieces cut out and partially assembled, sure would be nice to see how the closing panel at the rear of the cabinet fits and any details of the ceiling of the cabinet. Anyone?

I no longer own this bus and do not have any templates, just the pictures here in this thread and in my gallery. I think all of the pictures pertaining to this bus are posted here in the thread.

You could try contacting one of the members from the previous pages, try sending them a pm and see if you can get a picture?

Best of luck with your project!
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

Thanks Brandon.
Yes, this is the definitive thread on the "Alabama Camper", I have scoured the pages searching for the elusive view from behind a bus with the hatch open. I'll make something fit to the best of my memory. As for the ceiling of the cabinet, I do have a piece that I managed to save and mark as I took it all apart, it fits over the top of the forward compartment of the cabinet; looking through the images in this thread it would appear that the floor of the headbanger cabinet would be the ceiling of the aft part of the vertical cabinet, and the headbanger starboard side would be vertical at the face of the vertical cabinet as to allow the metal tent poles to be stored on top of the vertical cabinet.

Regardless, it comes down to who is going to tell me "that aint right!"? Smile

BTR
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

Still working on it!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

50 years of building RC model airplanes, this was pretty simple to make for my cabinet end closing panel.

Fit just right, left a little niche that fits a quart of oil just right!

The local auto/boat upholstery shops are busy for months out. A trip to the local close out blow out discount store I scored some outdoor furniture cushions and a rug. That rug really ties the bus together, man. Hehe.

Shot from the weekend car show. The BonTonRoulet was a hit!

BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

Cast iron tree branch sourced from Hobby Lobby supports the folding table. It installs in seconds with a pair of nylon 1/4 x 20 rc model airplane wing mounting bolts. Upward shaped branches I'll use to hang my cooking utensils from.
Michaelfind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

Nice work. Looking good!
SplitBusVanatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

The Rug. ‘The Dude’ would certainly approve.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

That rug really ties the bus together does it not? Hehe.

It's amazing how much less the cargo doors rattle and how the entire bus is getting just a bit more quiet going down the road with the more stuff I am adding to it as compared to when it was completely gutted/empty inside.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

BonTonRoulet wrote:
That rug really ties the bus together does it not? Hehe.

It's amazing how much less the cargo doors rattle and how the entire bus is getting just a bit more quiet going down the road with the more stuff I am adding to it as compared to when it was completely gutted/empty inside.

Looking good!

It's amazing how quiet they become after all of the upholstered cushions, curtains, and cabinets are in place.
Michaelfind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

I have always assumed my father kept our 67 bus original but only recently learned that there was a service to verify such things. I just received my "birth certificate" through Volkswagen Classic Parts and verified that it even has the original engine. The response time from them was better than I expected, just a few weeks. I read some reviews about it taking months to get your documents after paying. My experience was a good one with them. It is fun to have such a time capsule in the garage. I only wish I had paid more attention to my father's maintenance routine when I was younger.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

Michaelfind wrote:
I have always assumed my father kept our 67 bus original but only recently learned that there was a service to verify such things. I just received my "birth certificate" through Volkswagen Classic Parts and verified that it even has the original engine. The response time from them was better than I expected, just a few weeks. I read some reviews about it taking months to get your documents after paying. My experience was a good one with them. It is fun to have such a time capsule in the garage. I only wish I had paid more attention to my father's maintenance routine when I was younger.

That is fun stuff! To have the original engine is quite special, more often than not they have been switched out at some point..

When I ordered the certificate for my 65' Westy, it was in 2017 I think and it took about a month if I remember correctly. I did have to correct some things though, and they sent me a second certificate with the corrections.

Back then it was the VW Museum doing the certificates.
Michaelfind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

What is the best way to wash, clean, refresh the exterior paint on my bus? I'm thinking it is the original paint except for maybe some touch up spots my father may have had done in the 70s. What should be done or never done with original paint?

Thanks in advance to all the experts here.
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

Figured I'd add a couple photos of the most recent component I've built for my camper, a headbanger cabinet.

oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

Here's another Alabama camper that has been combined with Westfalia pieces:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2675771
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Jump to:
Page 15 of 15

Jump to: