Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Viper Alarm Wiring - Vanagon Wiring
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Viper Alarm Wiring - Vanagon Wiring Reply with quote

I am in the process of getting a Viper alarm system with starter disable and I just wanted to make sure I have this straight before the install.

Here is an installation sheet for the Viper Alarm:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And here is the wiring on an 87 Vanagon:

I color coded the wires how I believe they should be connected but I am not sure where to connect #6 Green and #7 Violet for the starter kill Rolling Eyes

Any wiring guru's out there that can set me straight?

Thanks and I hope this thread will assist others that want to install an alarm and starter kill.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there some piece called the "starter kill" among your parts?
Hammy1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a awhile that i've installed one but, you cut the small wire under the dash (from the ignition switch) that powers the starter solenoid and then wire the one side thats going to the ignition to (#6) and then #7 to the side that's still going to the starter. You'll then have to power the relay using one of the other outputs from the alarm.

Jon
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two of my Syncros had similar installed by professionals.
Both would consistently blow the ignition switch.

I removed the alarms from both and have not had a switch issue since.

Make sure to carry a spare switch or two.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
Two of my Syncros had similar installed by professionals.
Both would consistently blow the ignition switch.

I removed the alarms from both and have not had a switch issue since.

Make sure to carry a spare switch or two.

Shocked That makes me feel "giddy" about my install now Shocked

I might go find an installer today and show him my wiring diagrams to see if he will assist me in the correct wiring. Once I figure this out, I will share it with everyone in case someone else in the "Seattle area" wants to install an alarm.

I was also thinking of wiring the fuel pump to the starter disable instead of the starter. Maybe that would save my ignition switch and still disable my vehicle? Rolling Eyes

Any thoughts Question Has anyone attempted this Question

Last edited by Syncro Jael on Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the fuel pump still is controlled by the relay in case of a roll over it will be a legal install.

A negative battery master kill switch is the least invasive and most effective way to disable a vehicle in my opinion.
Hammy1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in theory, if it's wired correctly then your ignition switch would be drawing less current, only enough to control a small amount of current that the relay switch needs and the high current for solenoid will then flow through the relay.

Jon
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most kits come with cheapo connectors.
I think they were the cause of the issues I saw.
I didn't install the system and after seeing that "Professionals" essentially just jumped wires with the supplied connectors, I pulled everything and mended all of the wire breaks.

All I use now are the plug and play remote door lock controls that were available a few years back.

I have seen enough hacked wiring harnesses, thank you very much Wink
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammy1 wrote:
Well in theory, if it's wired correctly then your ignition switch would be drawing less current, only enough to control a small amount of current that the relay switch needs and the high current for solenoid will then flow through the relay.

Jon

I agree. And re: your previous post, I agree. My first thought was that the two wires in question interface between starter 50 like this: (edit: and this is only a somewhat educated guess):

VW ign. sw. 50 (supply side) wire ---> #6 wire of alarm unit ---> #7 wire from alarm unit ---> VW starter 50 connection. In that way the Viper unit and remote simply act as the 50 switch instead of the VW ign. switch.

In image supplied by the OP, there's mention of current amounts and relays.

Didn't the kit come with an actual wiring diagram?

Does searching images via google reveal any relevant diagrams?

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN

Last edited by Vanagon Nut on Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an installation guide very similar to what I have coming. I don't have the alarm system yet but plan to do the install this weekend. Come on UPS. I am just pretty anal about knowing what I am doing before screw stuff up. Shocked My wife and kids will vouch for that Embarassed

http://www.directeddealers.com/manuals/ig/viper/n5702v_2008_08web.pdf

Thanks to Bern I think I have this figured out and will finish this thread by posting the install along with wiring diagrams for future reference by others.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok the Viper 5706v is installed on my 1987 Syncro.

First off, no thanks to the installation shop where I have spent over $5K on stuff before, I stopped by and asked the installer if he would look over my wiring chart and let me know if it looked ok. He didn't even look down and said "We charge a minimum of $150 for a basic installation of the Viper Alarm, and we don't use wiring diagrams, we test each circuit then install. If you want I can schedule an appointment for your installation." Shocked

Sheeshh... not even a "Yeah that will work". He wouldn't even look for me. Sad

Oh well, that is how he makes his living, but I will find another sound shop for purchases from now on.

Ok here is how I wired it and it works great.
Again I didn't want the auto start feature or the horn to honk. I wired it to have the alarm feature using the shock sensor, door opening, key turn, and disable the starter circuit.

Here is how it wired:

MAIN HARNESS 6-PIN CONNECTOR on Viper:
1- RED (+) to RED (+) Large red wire from Ignition Harness
2- BLACK (-) to ground screw on Chassis
3- BROWN (+) to RED (+) on Siren (BLACK (-) wire on siren to chassis ground)
4- UNUSED
5- WHITE (+) to GRAY/RED (+) from Headlight Switch (I traced this down to the back of the FUSE Box and spliced in. And you do not need additional relays, just set the light flash polarity to (+) with the fuse)
6- UNUSED

AUXILARY/SHUTDOWN/TRIGGER HARNESS, 24-PIN CONNECTOR

ALL UNUSED EXCEPT FOR
15 - GREEN (-) BROWN/WHITE (-) Drivers side door pin switch

REMOTE START, 10-PIN HEAVY GAUGE CONNECTOR

1- UNUSED
2- UNUSED
3- UNUSED
4- UNUSED
5- UNUSED
6- GREEN (+) RED/BLACK CUT TO KEY SIDE OF RED/BLACK (I cut this wire back away from the ignition switch so that a would be thief will have to really look to find it)
7- VIOLET (+) RED/BLACK CUT TO STARTER SIDE OF RED/BLACK (You cut the RED/BLACK wire in half and attach GREEN on one end and VIOLET on the other.
8- UNUSED
9- UNUSED
10- PINK (+) to BLACK (+) from IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS (there were (2)two black ones, I used one because they attach on one terminal on the switch.)

And that is it! Laughing
I tested the system and even with a key you cannot start the vehicle. As soon as you turn the key on it triggers the alarm and still will not turn over. This is exactly what I wanted it to do. Dancing

If the doors are opened the alarms triggers.
If you bang on the body, the alarm triggers.

I also have the LCD remote that is supposed to work up to a mile away. It lets you know if the alarm has been set off and what sensor triggered it.

Hopefully anyone installing a basic alarm can use this thread. Wink
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Viper Alarm Wiring - Vanagon Wiring Reply with quote

Very happy to see this thread. I have a viper alarm on my 05 Tundra with the two way remote that makes a ruckus if something is going on at the vehicle. I have been thinking why not install a similar in the westfalia.

I really like the viper in the Toyota. I realize most people just ignore alarms these days and they seem to be a nuisance. I like the fact that the key fob tells me something is up.

I currently have everything out of my front doors and my wife and I are planning a 9 day road trip next month this seems like the perfect time to install.

I have never installed an alarm but have installed quite a few electronics in vehicles and boats.

About how long for the installation? I will not be using the remote start.

Are you still content with it? Did you use your existing power lock actuators? Anyone else have a different model or brand they like or dislike?

Suggestions?
Wangta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Viper Alarm Wiring - Vanagon Wiring Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
I am in the process of getting a Viper alarm system with starter disable and I just wanted to make sure I have this straight before the install.

Here is an installation sheet for the Viper Alarm:

And here is the wiring on an 87 Vanagon:

I color coded the wires how I believe they should be connected but I am not sure where to connect #6 Green and #7 Violet for the starter kill Rolling Eyes

Any wiring guru's out there that can set me straight?

Thanks and I hope this thread will assist others that want to install an alarm and starter kill.

Jael - did you ever figure this out?
westy81vancouver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Viper Alarm Wiring - Vanagon Wiring Reply with quote

@Syncro Jael thanks for the write up. I've got everything wired up and working except for the ignition shut off. In my 81 the ignition switch harness has two Red/Black wires and two Black wires. There is a large and smaller wire for each of them. Did you tap into the larger of the two wires? If I'm reading my Bentley correctly it looks like the larger Red/Black wire is 8 AWG. The wires from the Viper connector look to me like 12 AWG. Is this a concern?
Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: