Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'69 Westy finally getting the rehab it needs...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
yugo42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: '69 Westy finally getting the rehab it needs... Reply with quote

I'm moving along on this project like a sloth that got into a bottle of NyQuil, but finally spent some time actually adding metal to this machine for a change. Patching all these little divots is tedious work, and I would have been better off having done this while the drill holes were fresh. It took a couple of sessions to do these first couple floor beams and it went much better the second time for a few reasons: a) it was 25 degrees warmer b) I got the hang of getting the surrounding metal clean enough, and c) I realized the bandfile was the best tool for knocking the rust off and for grinding the welds down. I got a little bit of Ospho brushed onto some areas, but really I will need to power wash it all in the spring to get the crud out of there before really getting the acid where it needs to go.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

yugo42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: '69 Westy finally getting the rehab it needs... Reply with quote

Finally finished divot repair and have to patch one crunchy area where moisture got between the top hat and the thin inner support they put around the shift tube. Feels like progress!

yugo42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: '69 Westy finally getting the rehab it needs... Reply with quote

Patched the top hat and extracted the butt end of the rotted center heating tube from the rear crossmember and y-pipe. I'm debating the best way to treat the inside of the enclosed frame areas while I have access. The plan right now is to clean things out the best I can and get Ospho in there (garden sprayer/hose?) and then try to get some Fluid Film or Waxoyl into those areas once most of the welding is done, just to avoid unnecessary fire.

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: '69 Westy finally getting the rehab it needs... Reply with quote

It’s looking good so far! Keep up the good work! It’s painful when the lower half of the bus is missing and you know there’s a ton to do, but it’s worth it when it’s done.

I will say fluid film is amazing stuff, I did the underside of my 72 with it and put it through a bunch of salt and the rust didn’t get any worse. The fluid film creeps into everything and wicks everywhere. It’s great but definitely finish all the welding before using is and I’d recommend painting everything before applying any. But it definitely stops rust, just messy to deal with.
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yugo42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: '69 Westy finally getting the rehab it needs... Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
It’s looking good so far! Keep up the good work! It’s painful when the lower half of the bus is missing and you know there’s a ton to do, but it’s worth it when it’s done.

Thanks! Watching your '71 come together so well has helped keep me going.

Ceckert64 wrote:
I will say fluid film is amazing stuff, I did the underside of my 72 with it and put it through a bunch of salt and the rust didn’t get any worse. The fluid film creeps into everything and wicks everywhere. It’s great but definitely finish all the welding before using is and I’d recommend painting everything before applying any. But it definitely stops rust, just messy to deal with.

Fluid film sounds like the way to go the more I hear about it, and it's great to hear the first-hand experience. Did you use an undercoating gun to get it into all the tight spots?
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: '69 Westy finally getting the rehab it needs... Reply with quote

I used an undercoating spray gun and it came with a tube extension for cavities. It was a cheapo one off Amazon or tractor supply. But I ended up buying an extra long tube/hose for it to get really far down the frame rails, rocker, dog legs, and any other long cavities. In my opinion, the main thing that needs rustproofing is the cavities and they take forever and are hard to do but they are what stops the rust. I pulled out every plastic plug and sprayed inside of everything. My plan is for the 71 I left a few holes in the cargo floor that go to the inside of the rockers and Im going to spray the inside of the rockers through there. Also, I highly recommend you spray it on a hot day as it flows much better. I did mine when it was freezing out and I had to heat the fluid film up on a burner to be able to spray it. I bought a 5 gallon bucket of it and probably used 2-3 gallons of it on the yellow bus.
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yugo42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: '69 Westy finally getting the rehab it needs... Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
Also, I highly recommend you spray it on a hot day as it flows much better.

I appreciate the recommendations, and this is one I will definitely keep in mind!

I got some frame repair done this weekend, once again mostly repairing damage I did taking parts off. The belly pans were the first sheet metal pieces I removed on this thing, and the inexperience shows in stray grinder marks and overly-deep rotabroach cuts. I've gotten more patient with my welding and surface cleanup so this is going OK so far, and I got some Ospho onto more surfaces as well. I hit as much as I could reach with the wire brush on the grinder but I feel like I'm going to give everyone in my neighborhood a case of brown lung.

I blew through this spot on a previous attempt to repair a stray cutoff wheel slice

Got a bit overexcited with the rotabroach a while back

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: