Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Everything about CB Performance Black Box
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Everything about CB Performance Black Box Reply with quote

Horizontal is you pressure, its only going to see atmospheric since your not running vacuum input. So just change your rpm ( vertical column) at atmospheric pressure, none of the other will matter. Or just set all the horizontal ( rpm) numbers to be the same from left to right if that easier for you.
Why would you not use vac signal though?
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Everything about CB Performance Black Box Reply with quote

Thanks, thats what i thought. Going to add manifold vacuum soon. Having issues with unstable idle timing. It jumps erratically with the black box. Going to try non res plugs, check my connections and look at rotor phasing first

I have an odd manifold/carb setup trying out.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Everything about CB Performance Black Box Reply with quote

Thats a cool intake setup. I have a similar one but it’s taller, and rusty.
I’ve done 7 -8 b.b. installs and have never once phased a rotor, not even sure why there’d be a need to if your dizzy is timed right, locked , and use a wide tip rotor, and your timing parameters aren’t goofy as owl shit.
Id like to see that engine all together, if you dont already have a thread with it you should start one. Doesn’t see many other side drafts out there
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Everything about CB Performance Black Box Reply with quote

Progress – swapped plugs for some resistor type and rerouted my power and coil neg wire. Runs better now. Still get an occasional bounce to the left on timing about 2 to 4 degrees, but not like before.

Progress update. Initial setup yielded me 10 to 15 degrees of random timing jitter. Going to res plugs, brought it down to 2 to 3 degrees. You can hear the motor sounding not right. Also had 2 carb backfires with the BB during cranking. Never had that before. Took the BB out, idle timing variation is less than half degree . Did this experiment twice. Same results. This is using an unmodified spark table. Losing confidence in the bb at this point
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Everything about CB Performance Black Box Reply with quote

BB will do what it’s told to do, gotta be something in the set up. I mean any part can be faulty , but ive never seen a bb flutter.
Assume your dizzy is locked? Timing set 70* btdc? Checked timing with strobe to verify what bb says timing is is actually what it’s at?
What dizzy you running? Any MSD or additional ignition b.s. ?
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Everything about CB Performance Black Box Reply with quote

Locked out big cap. Dwell at 52 degrees. Timing set to 68 btdc which gives me a matching 14 degrees of idle and matches the strobe. No msd. I think its noise related, maybe moving the coil further away would help, but its going on the back burner now
allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Everything about CB Performance Black Box Reply with quote

For all the guys struggling with the Black Box, or disappointed with the lack of features; I've got a new option for you.

SparkWizard Programmable Ignition Controller from Debbie's Air Cooled Engineering.

Some key differences:
16x16 Spark Table + Secondary Table with switching enabled
Load Based and IAT based ignition retard for boosted applications
Easy wiring - Simple screw terminals for all connections
42kV Output Dry Pack Smart Coil
Smart Electric Fuel Pump Control - Primes fuel system at key on and only activate fuel pump when engine is cranking or running.
Inputs for Wideband O2, Engine Temp, Intake Air Temp, and Throttle Position
Full tuneability - Customizable for MAP, TPS, or ITB load sensing (MAP and TPS sensor option required for Independent Throttle Body algorithm)
Tuning and Full Data Logging with Tuner Studio - The top choice for DIY tuners
Software compatible with Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux
Timing idle control - Smooth and steady idle in all conditions
Optional Bluetooth connectivity for wireless connection to laptop, tablet, or smartphone.
Optional temperature reference sensor for temperature based timing adjustments
Optional Integrated Wideband Controller. Enables monitoring and data-logging of Air/Fuel ratio without the need for an external module.

Pricing starts at $250
Go check it out at https://debbiesaircooled.com/products/sparkwizard-programmable-timing-controller

More info here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=782729

2180 TW: CNC Panchitos, Beehives Done Right, Web 163, Ultralight Lifters, 1.3 Rockers, CSP Python, Custom Speeduino EFI Conversion with 40mm Throttle Bodies

Distributors are lame

I have a really hard time leaving things alone...

Innovative and affordable engine management systems and EFI conversions for your Vintage VW
Visit https://debbiesaircooled.com/
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Everything about CB Performance Black Box Reply with quote

Thats a nice highjack
Eddie010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Everything about CB Performance Black Box Reply with quote

Finaly installed my CB BB.
I use a transistor (magnetic pick up) Dis set up from a late type 4 on my type 4 engine.
Took me a while to get the matching 10gr on my crank pulley and on my BB dashboard. It sure is not the 70gr as of standard, more or less maybe 20 max.
Put the fuel back in it, and it run directly.

Is this a known for the magnetic pick distributor up to have less advance for it then the advised 70gr.

Step 2 have it fine tuned.

Regards Eddie
Eddie010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: Everything about CB Performance Black Box Reply with quote

The position of the Rotor.
I had it clocked out to be on the marking on the dis casing. (by turning the casing).
But had to turn it (back) to get the 10gr on the poulie to match the 10gr on the BB Dashboard. See last photo.
It looks rather retarded instead of advanced.

Regards eddie

Last edited by Eddie010 on Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Everything about CB Performance Black Box Reply with quote

CB provides a lock out washer for reproduction 009's. I have a German Bosch 009 without a screw on the top of the shaft. How best to lock out mechanical advance on it? Do I bend both tabs inward to lock out movement of the weights or is there a better way?
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Everything about CB Performance Black Box Reply with quote

boxer74 wrote:
CB provides a lock out washer for reproduction 009's. I have a German Bosch 009 without a screw on the top of the shaft. How best to lock out mechanical advance on it? Do I bend both tabs inward to lock out movement of the weights or is there a better way?

Yeh, strip the weights out of it and put a tack weld on there so the plate cant move.
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Everything about CB Performance Black Box Reply with quote

question - am running a set of DRLA 40s with BB and wondering if i can use the four vacuum unions (pictured) for the BB vac signal, via a small plenum. they're below the throttles so it's manifold vacuum. but is it a strong enough signal?

Eddie010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Everything about CB Performance Black Box Reply with quote

daos wrote:
question - am running a set of DRLA 40s with BB and wondering if i can use the four vacuum unions (pictured) for the BB vac signal, via a small plenum. they're below the throttles so it's manifold vacuum. but is it a strong enough signal?

I am running the vacuum from those.(45 DRLA s on a type 4 engine)
I don t know if it is a strong vacuum, but when i give it throttle, i can see the vacuum signal change on the dashboard.
The only thing I noticed is that diameter of the pipes on the "cb vacuum plates" is bigger then the holes on the DRLA s.

See my post 3 post back.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Everything about CB Performance Black Box Reply with quote

Anybody running resistorless plugs with their Black Box? CB suggests using resistor plugs. What problems will no resistor plugs cause?

I also modded my big cap rotor to make a wide tip, similar to the Magnaspark rotor. Gonna take another stab at the BB again to see if the timing jitter changed any with the new tip

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Everything about CB Performance Black Box Reply with quote

I don't know the limit but there comes a point where the wide tip makes it will make it easier to fire to an adjacent spark plug that is NOT at the top of the compression stroke, instead of to the needed plug near the top of compression.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Everything about CB Performance Black Box Reply with quote

Yeah , the tip might be a little too long. I can trim the end. Was mainly concerned about getting it ground at the proper radius. Thanks
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Everything about CB Performance Black Box Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
Anybody running resistorless plugs with their Black Box? CB suggests using resistor plugs. What problems will no resistor plugs cause?

I am running the resistorless NGK plugs on mine, the resistor plugs don't like the Winterburn CDI

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Quille
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Everything about CB Performance Black Box Reply with quote

HI to all cummunity

Some time ago I bought the black box module, but it had kickback problems. So I decided to update the firmware of the module. I followed the instructions, and approximately when it was 20 percent, the communication with the module was lost, but nevertheless the progress bar kept increasing until 100 percent and then the progress bar returned to zero, until 100 percent again. I left it for approximately 15 minutes but continued like this. So I decided to close the program and disconnect it. and now I can not establish communication with the module. My question is, is there something that can be done, or is the module simply no longer working?

I appreciate any help.

Greetings from Colombia
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Everything about CB Performance Black Box Reply with quote

Contact CB Performance & Welcome to the Samba! Cool

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 28 of 30

Jump to: