Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is the heater channel welded to the front firewall panel ?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
keegs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:02 am    Post subject: Is the heater channel welded to the front firewall panel ? Reply with quote

1966 Beetle Sedan Restoration project.

I haven't been able to confirm whether the front face of the heater channel is welded to the outer wall of the front firewall panel. If it is I'll need to cut and peel back the inner firewall panel for access and obviously I don't want to cut anymore than I have to. The car is still mostly on the chassis and access to the outer firewall area from outside the car is too difficult. The heater channel has been separated from the flange on the inner firewall panel.

I'm using the "bugme video" method of partially separating the body from the chassis. I think this will make the chassis-body bolt alignment check a lot easier.

TIA
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Is the heater channel welded to the front firewall panel ? Reply with quote

Pictures would help in this case to see what exactly is going on. You can get to the front outer firewall by removing the gas tank. Im not sure what you have off the vehicle now.

56 Beetle - Wilbur. I found a lot of lipstick on this pig so far.
63 Beetle - Luna
66 13 window Bus - Tetanus
71 Bay Window - Lola. Totaled.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Is the heater channel welded to the front firewall panel ? Reply with quote

No, the leading edge of the heater channel is not welded to the bulkhead.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
keegs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Is the heater channel welded to the front firewall panel ? Reply with quote

I have the the tank out and can get access from the top and from the side (wheel well area) but it's pretty tight. It may look like it but there are no holes in that outer panel sheet metal but there is surface rust in spots. I scraped at it with a putty knife. Could be spot welds on the other side that are oxidizing but that's a wag.

Did they typically weld that front face of the heater channel to the outer panel of the front firewall? TIA

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Is the heater channel welded to the front firewall panel ? Reply with quote

Here’s my ongoing thread where I replaced the heater channels...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=728610&highlight=der

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
keegs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Is the heater channel welded to the front firewall panel ? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
No, the leading edge of the heater channel is not welded to the bulkhead.

Thanks ... I must have gone through a few hours of videos and couldn't confirm this through any of them. The Super Beetle HC doesn't extend beyond the inner firewall panel (mounts to the inner firewall) and the BugMe video didn't cover this in enough detail to answer this question.
keegs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Is the heater channel welded to the front firewall panel ? Reply with quote

and thanks for the link to your thread... this will be a big assist for me going forward.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: