Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Not worth missing?
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:59 am    Post subject: Not worth missing? Reply with quote

If I get my engine built all up to speed soon, I am thinking about heading to Cali for a show and to stay a few days. Anyone know of a show that's not worth missing in Cali? Is there onne that stands out from all the rest?
Thanks
nik
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've never been down to the OCTO and Classic in June, that's definitely the one to hit. I managed to make it down there in 2000 and was just blown away! Heck, and I live in California...thought I'd seen some big shows. Nothing compares to the size of that!

-Taylor

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So where do they host that at? Good swap meet? A good swap to me is vital for a show.
nik
billyisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The June OCTO/Classic weekend is certainly the one to hit FOR SURE. The swap is excellent at both events. The June OCTO has been in the parking lot at the Anaheim Pond in the past, but I heard it is moving to Anaheim Stadium parking lot this year (Anaheim Stadium = Angels Stadium). The two stadiums are practically directly across the 57 freeway from one another.
The Classic is at the Verizon Wireless Amphitheater (formerly the Irvine Amphitheater) in Irvine.
There are many other events and open houses starting on Thursday of the Classic weekend, so if you’re down for a few days you’d have a chance to hit cruises and other social events, if that’s something you’re interested in.
VTO has started advertising campouts for both Friday and Saturday nights, so check out their web site for info about that.
NorCalNick
Ain't yo baby daddy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i vote for the classic too....nothing else like it. Im planning to have a caravan down there the friday before.. from my area on down. If you think you can handle it....cumon down.
nik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I jotted down the information and directions, and am going to start pre planning a trip down that way. Looks like it is a four day type of event?

So they have the
DKP Cruise on Thursday the 10th
Open houses on Friday the 11th at all the local shops- Industry party to follow @ WCC
Octo @ the Pond on Saturday the 12th @ 7am
Toy and Lit Show on Saturday the 12th @ 1pm
VW Classic on Sunday June 13th @ 7am

Are all of these worth hitting up? Anyone know what time the DKP cruise is at?

I figure I would leave on Wednesday the 9th and just take my time getting there. It's gonna be about 24hr's of driving so I don't think i am gonna be in any hurry.And then leave Sunday night after the show.
I'll update as soon as it gets closer and I receive the time off.
nik
Empicollector
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the Classic events are great to attend--The DKP cruise is a gathering of vw's and people and they start showing up as early as 2pm in the afternoon to get a good parking spot---and stay as late as 10pm
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL...I think if you're one of the ones who shows up at 2pm, you might not get out of that parking lot until 10pm! Smile

I'm trying to budget my time off at work very carefully right now. I want to take the Friday before BYOB off and I'd love to take the Friday before the Classic Weekend off so I can drive down.

-Taylor

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Barndoor Mafia
Il Capo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NIK..............just show up and let the current take you!!!! Those 4 days are 24 hours of VW's!!! And if your a bus guy, OCTO is definetly the show to hit! Late Friday afternoon, most people hit Lenny Coop's place, West Coast Classics. Tons of people there! And you get a preview of what will be attending both OCTO and the Classic. And if you need parts?? You will find them there!!

Hope to see you guys there? We, BDM, will be there!

Laydo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barndoor Mafia wrote:
NIK..............just show up and let the current take you!!!! Those 4 days are 24 hours of VW's!!! And if your a bus guy, OCTO is definetly the show to hit! Late Friday afternoon, most people hit Lenny Coop's place, West Coast Classics. Tons of people there! And you get a preview of what will be attending both OCTO and the Classic. And if you need parts?? You will find them there!!

Hope to see you guys there? We, BDM, will be there!

Laydo

If I do make it down, I will most definatly have to check out the BDM's rides. They are the hit and something that I would love to see.
nik
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: