Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shift rod bushing noise.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WandS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Shift rod bushing noise. Reply with quote

Hey guys and gals,

I have the harder Derlin? shift rod bushings installed in my van. At first, there was no noise. Over the months, it sounds like a barking seal overtime i shift. I tried some Redline CV2 grease which is high temp and low wash out, but sound is back after a week or two. Any other tips or suggestions?

I have thought about it and i don't see any other solutions besides regressing it.

I am wondering if anyone has used a different type of grease with greater success. I don't mind redoing it once a year, but not much more often than that if possible.

Let me know.
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running the HD ones on my van, seems the front one is the one that likes to make the seal noise. Also seems like the colder weather brings on this condition. Good description by the way, that's pretty much exactly what it sounds like Razz In any case, I moved away from grease (didn't take it apart, but wiped it all off) and am now treating it like a lock cylinder and spraying it down with a dry graphite lube, which after 3 weeks now seems to be going well. YMMV.

The other question would be if you had the shift rods painted or powder coated and the added thickness was causing the bushing to grab the rod. You'd think there would be enough slack there, but just a thought. If that were the case, it seems to me one could simply get some very fine sand paper and sand the inside diameter of the bushing ever so slightly.

My plan is to see if it simply wears in place, which I believe it will. I figure eventually it will have enough slack and quit sounding like there's a seal under the aisle when I'm shifting.

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Delrin is considered self lubricating in light pressure movements such as shift rod bushings. So perhaps best strategy is for it to wear in place but not lube as that attracts grit.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: noise Reply with quote

Put new ones in 2mo. ago no lube, no noise! 87 Syncro. Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just wondering;
Did you clean the shift shaft up squeaky clean prior to the installation?
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine have the same noise deal, and they are the same ones from Terry. I also notice after a while the shifting is not as smooth/ easy. I shoot a small bit of WD40 on them from time to time and it totally changes the noise and smooth factor. My rods are spotless and undamaged, and all of my shifter components are brand new within the last couple of years.

I would still choose these again, but they do require a little extra effort...
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a guy was to clean the shift rod --clean, and wipe a tiny amount of zero wash out grease on it just to keep it from rusting at all, there would be no issues.

These shift shaft bushings will be under the van when the van has been recycled into a Hyundai.

I've had too many success stories with the delrin replacement bushings to buy they aren't working in a couple of vans.

Clean the shafts slick, get some Mystic J-T8, and wipe a fingertip of it around the shaft.

Chipmunk gone, slick no effort crisp shifts will be yours forever.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experiences with the Delrin shift bushings.....

I see a direct correlation between DIYers who have installed these WITHOUT marking the shift components before disassembly, reassmbling, fighting to get the linkage to shift properly and run it as is....and those who complain about the bushing making noise.

Yes, clean all parts.

No lube is needed.

Make sure that there isn't pressure being applied to the bushing from misalignment of the linkage.

Refer to Bentley for instructions and for the love of God, mark the unions and spines before taking anything apart.
They will go back together much easier and you will know where to set it up...the first time.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason I suggested to " wipe a fingertip " of the no washout grease on the shaft is to keep it from rusting up after the installer knocks off the surface rust & bubbled up paint off of it.
Some guys actually just heave ho the skuzzy shaft through the new machined bushings, and expect to have silky smooth shifts.
A little prep work ( plus marking parts locations) is necessary.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got fed up with that slider and fixed it like this:
UHMW tape on sliding linkage
No grabbing, no greasing, no dust collecting and the tape makes it tighter so it feels great. If your new Delrin bushings are a more exact bore the tape may not even fit. Would be interested to know.

Also, I have heard that in some cases the steel rod can transmit vibration from the transmission to up front where it comes up the shifter. This problem is solved by injecting the tube with some vibration damping material like expanding polyurethane foam.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tape won't work with the Delrin bushings.
Machined to fit the shift shaft--no room for the quick fix tape.
WandS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything was squeaky clean when i installed originally. Wasn't bad at first. I do need to replace the shift rod end ears and rebuild the shifter components. Will do all during this week as i have all the components at home. Will have it cleaned real nice and report back in a week or so. Thanks for the input guys.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would assume that if it was OK when you first got the bushings in, and now it's making noise that something else is barking--
The delrin isn't going anywhere, neither is the shift shaft.
I think something else is going helter skelter down under somewhere.

Interesting--
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: