Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

turkis-deluxe wrote:
Has anyone used a heat shield or a heat wrap before? My rear apron is literally riding on the exhaust and I don't want to burn off the original paint, so I'm trying to figure out a way to protect it.

This is the model I have installed:
https://store.vintagespeed.com.tw/1960~1967-BUS-SP...p158840381

I ordered a Thermo-Tec heat shield but haven't received it yet and am wanting some firsthand feedback before I move forward with either option.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Part number 113 is the same type shield for application.

https://mossmotors.com/mgb-025-zenith-stromberg-manifold-and-air-filter-assembly
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
turkis-deluxe wrote:
Has anyone used a heat shield or a heat wrap before? My rear apron is literally riding on the exhaust and I don't want to burn off the original paint, so I'm trying to figure out a way to protect it.

I ordered a Thermo-Tec heat shield but haven't received it yet and am wanting some firsthand feedback before I move forward with either option.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

https://mossmotors.com/mgb-025-zenith-stromberg-manifold-and-air-filter-assembly

I think some guys just adjust/bend the apron angle to clear. Obviously touching is bad. Might seem like sacrilege on og paint... but it is a very small adjustment needed. I think some peoples mufflers fit early bus aprons without tweaks just because of the abuse aprons see over the years = lots of variability.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turkis-deluxe
Samba Security

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

earlywesty wrote:
BarryL wrote:
turkis-deluxe wrote:

Thanks in advance,
Dave

I think some guys just adjust/bend the apron angle to clear. Obviously touching is bad. Might seem like sacrilege on og paint... but it is a very small adjustment needed. I think some peoples mufflers fit early bus aprons without tweaks just because of the abuse aprons see over the years = lots of variability.

Great thanks for both your feedbacks! I have a nice original paint SO34 so really don't want to bend the apron. I test fit the heat shield i bought and seems like it'll work perfect. Once I do a final install i'll post pictures.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turkis-deluxe
Samba Security

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

Pictures of the Thermo-Tec Heat shield on my Vintage Speed exhaust. It installs with stainless steel clamps inserted on the inside of the shield so most of it is hidden.
Comments or opinions let me know as this is a first for me and I'm sure others as well. And yes, the 009 is a temp distributor....LOL.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

How has it worked out so far?
turkis-deluxe
Samba Security

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
How has it worked out so far?

Haven't done much since the install due to work and travelling. I also recently sent Bill at Sparxwerks an 010 to get restored so I can properly tune the motor before putting a bunch of miles on it. Trying to get it all done before Red Barn and Madera shows next month but will report back when it's all dialed in!
94touring
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

I use a similar heat shielding setup to protect my apron, and shield oil lines, though this is on a sidewinder header where one small section bumps up against the apron. Being the muffler body in your case may help keep the paint from burning. While mine does reduce engine bay temps, the header piping eventually rubbed through the insulation and burned a small section of the apron.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turkis-deluxe
Samba Security

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

94touring wrote:
I use a similar heat shielding setup to protect my apron, and shield oil lines, though this is on a sidewinder header where one small section bumps up against the apron. Being the muffler body in your case may help keep the paint from burning. While mine does reduce engine bay temps, the header piping eventually rubbed through the insulation and burned a small section of the apron.

Good info thanks!
turkis-deluxe
Samba Security

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

Finally, back at things after vacations and being overworked! I spent a nice hour-long drive in and out of evening traffic tonight which covered about 22 miles. By the time I got home and parked my bus I felt the rear apron and it was nice and warm and good enough to keep my hand on the apron for a few seconds. Not burning hot like melting skin on the exhaust type heat but a comfortable heat to make sure the paint won't blister and peel off. So, end result is I'm super happy with the heat shield I installed and didn't have the bend the apron at all. Definitely recommend it to anyone else!

I'll have the bus at Red Barn this weekend if anyone wants to check it out, come find me!

Dave
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

There's this one also:

https://mossmotors.com/231-905-form-a-shield-by-dei
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: