Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

62 shifting troubles, reverse and 2nd
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
55veedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: 62 shifting troubles, reverse and 2nd Reply with quote

Hey all, I spent my morning reading threads trying to find a solid answer but I figure Id just ask.

Ive got a 62 single cab, When driving, shifting from 1st to 2nd, it will grind as if its trying to get into reverse and you have to play a bit to find second.

From a stop. you can put it into reverse by pushing down, move left and back. BUT with no effort if you push it to the right, it will drop into neutral or second...

At times first is hard to find aswell. 3 and 4 are perfect.

What could be my issues? Out of adjustment? Coupling? bushing?
'70 Canadian standard bug.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
guatebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More details would help. Did this happen all of a sudden or has it always been like this? Did you take something apart and this problem started after you put it back together?

It could be just your shifter reverse lockout plate. Assuming that it's oriented correctly, loosen your shifter bolts and try moving the plate a little to the right and maybe a tad towards the rear.

Another easy thing to check is to make sure that your forward and rear shift couplers are tight and in good condition. Just crawl under the bus and take a look that the set screws are tight and safety wired. Check the condition of the rubber disk in the middle of the rear coupler.
55veedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually i have just purchased the Single. Im not sure of what had been done to it.

I was debating on ordering new bushings, coupler, and trans mounts.

Ill try moving the plate and see if that helps.

As well as the 2nd and reverse thing, when driving and slowing, to try and go from 2nd to 1st is a chore to get it to shift into first.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was very similiar to my problem. 1st and 2nd were hard to grab. Replaced my lockout plate with a bugpack one(stock replacement ones are good as well), Slid shifter to the right. 1964 bus here. New shifter bracket, plastic bushing, new front shift rod. Not to sure if I want to tweak it anymore. Right now it shifts like Oh My God its Parkay butter mode.
Before, it seemed like the rod beneath was being moved too far twards reverse, when going for 1st or 2nd. Reverse lockout plate helped bunches.
55veedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quartermilecamel wrote:
That was very similiar to my problem. 1st and 2nd were hard to grab. Replaced my lockout plate with a bugpack one(stock replacement ones are good as well), Slid shifter to the right. 1964 bus here. New shifter bracket, plastic bushing, new front shift rod. Not to sure if I want to tweak it anymore. Right now it shifts like Oh My God its Parkay butter mode.
Before, it seemed like the rod beneath was being moved too far twards reverse, when going for 1st or 2nd. Reverse lockout plate helped bunches.

that sounds exactly the same!

is this the lock out plate you used? ive got the stock shifter http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C12%2D5595%2D50

is this the bracket? http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D111%2D701%2D255%2DB

thanks.
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes those are it. I got mine from wolfsburgwest. Also purchased the plastic or nylon bushing, and front shift rod. The stick shift itself I had already purchased from the classifieds from mike wilkerson. ....No more cuss words floating around in the upper atmosphere bouncing off the space shuttle and knocking out everyones satellite radio from me from missed shifts. Also check your shift stick pin. Make sure it doesnt wiggle/turn...as mine did wobble side to side. Also make sure you install the metal spring around the plastic bushing correctly as hazetguy mentions.....the metal spring to bushing goes underneath the bracket, not on the outside.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If new to you this bus is, best to change the gear oil now. After all who knows when last changed or even if it was checked for full (which should be done every other tune up)??
55veedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing with the shifter that i will check is that the littke ring above the ball is still a circle and not a D.

Yes, i plan to do a full fluid change and tune up. Whats and good oil to run in the RGBs?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same as in the center section since the gear oil is shared between the center and RGBs.

Personally use an 85/90 Wt. GL-4 by StaLube. Get the pump with the one gallon bottle of gear oil. Drop the gear oil bottle into a five gallon bucket of hot water an hour before so it pumps way easier.
Snoop Bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

55veedub wrote:
One thing with the shifter that i will check is that the littke ring above the ball is still a circle and not a D.

It is supposed to look like a circle. The ones that look like D's are worn from years of rubbing.

EverettB wrote:
I would be interested in knowing the sizes of the various shafts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55veedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty everyone. UPDATE!

I spent two hours dinking around with the shifter. I think im missing something!!

My front shift rod has nothing supporting the front of it! What goes in the little hole in the front of the shift rod? Theres nothing supporting it!
Also my plastic bushings are really worn!

But what supports the rod and where can i get one?

Thanks!
Mike
55veedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually i was just looking at pics in the gallery and came across this.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I actually dont remember a hole in the front of my shift rod. this is how mine is. So there is nothing supporting the rod other than the guide bracket?

Therefore, my problem could just be my guide bracket and bushing. Does this sound right?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part in # 21 in diagram is what your bus should have for front support.

Lots more important part info @

http://oacdp.org/5867part.html
dmuis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
If new to you this bus is, best to change the gear oil now.

"Good advice, this is." Wink

Kehoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just traded my 05 GLI Jetta for a beautiful 58 Single Cab last night and I’m having the same problem with it. The thing in a bitch to find 1,2 and reverse. This was really helpful and I plan on making the repairs talked about in this form. Thanks for the info! I’ll be monitoring the form and post up what I find.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: