Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spare tire storage container DIY
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Spare tire storage container DIY Reply with quote

I saw this posted here a while ago on the samba, it was a pretty cool idea and I really liked using the space available and getting smelly parts out of the van.

So, first step was buying the barrel. I found one on craigslist for $20. That seemed about average .
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The next was figuring out how tall to cut it. This part got a little tricky

The spare tire measures about 8"

BUT
The clam shell is not flat bottomed. Its middle protrudes higher than normal. The barrel is a little bit small diameter than the tire and will sit on the protruding section and not into the recessed.

(I know the image sucks, but trying to hold a tape measure lying on your side with a cell phone to take a pic is really difficult.

The distance was actually only about 7" and you have to account for the lid height.

So I went and cut at 6 3/4" I used tape to mark the line for cutting. I used a jigsaw with a wood cutting blade and just simply rolled the barrel as I pushed the saw. Worked like a charm.

For the top, its not nearly as critical. Cut the bottom first because the top has thicker plastic around its support so it wont bend and flex as you cut away from it. The bottom section gets very wobbly as your cutting.

I cant recall the exact length of the top, mostly because I cut right up to the bottom of the inside of the lid, if that makes sense. Its about 1" in thickness all around and you cant cut much deeper than that.

To seal it, I went and picked up some clear vinyl tubing from the hardware store, 7' worth. It was about $1.57 for all of it. I cut it down the middle and stretched it over the lip of the bottom shell. The idea was to keep it nice and water tight. Add some glue or sealant to the inside of the tubing and press it down.

Boy does it ever. I have to stand on the lid now to get it to seat down. I can hear air escaping as I force it down. Getting the lid off takes a little bit of prying to break the air seal. Just what I wanted Cool

A $4.99 ratchet strap from Harbor freight to hold it all down and VIOLA. Spare tire storage container!

It can hold a good amount of stuff too!

I carry spare CVs and axles, fuel pumps, greases, oils, spare fuel and coolant hoses. The works.

This total job took about 30 mins, not too shabby for an after work project.
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where's your spare now? Question I need mine Confused
wonder if you could make smaller one to fit in the spare tire Idea Question
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the joker wrote:
where's your spare now? Question I need mine Confused
wonder if you could make smaller one to fit in the spare tire Idea Question

I have 16" tires so they wouldnt fit regardless, I have my spare on a RMW swing out.

I mean you could make something to fit inside your spare, but it might only be big enough to carry your spark plugs, not alot of room in the spare tire recess. Crying or Very sad
herramiento
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An acquaintance met some guy on a beach once who put together vanagons in Germany. In addition to a bunch of little tips, this guy said that the spare tire is actually a key part of the forward collision zone. Second hand news, I know.

That said, that's a pretty nifty tool box you put together. Maybe it would perform the same function as the spare in a crash?
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that crossed my mind also Idea

there's a reason the engineers put it there rubber/air/ stee riml/ gas tank Shocked

like in all the bugs bays karmans squarebacks etc. tool kit washer bottle spare tire

I'm still kicking around mounting long tubes under the body
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you noticed a rise in the coolant temp? I understand they designed the wheels and spare carrier plate with holes to let the hot air escape quicker from the backside of the radiator.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They used that same rim since the aircooled 1968 model. The rims weren't designed for the vanagon or even a watercooled vehicle.
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the holes in the plate?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1971 model Bay was the first with 14" 5 x 112 rim

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW sez '67 but I know that can't be right. http://shop.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/vwcp/bus-lt/t-2/chassis/rims/steel-rim-211601027h.html Point being that they weren't designed for vanagons or airflow of the radiator. Probably more likely cooling for brakes as most cars have that style rim for their steel wheels.

Why is there holes in the plate? Airflow, place for rain water to drain out from, leaky radiator hose or leaky radiator drains? I didn't design it so speculate away. Eh?
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not totally sure that I believe the tire as being part of the crumple zone protection. People have been pulling the spares out and making their own skid plates for as long as the vans have been produced. Havent heard about an increased injury/mortality rate because of that.

No change in engine temps because of it, "airflow" through the spare tire and then clam shell has to be absolutely minimal if not non existent.

If it actually does lower air temps, and allow the engine to run cooler. I havent noticed. If you do this and notice your engine temps rise, then you probably have something else going on if that restriction of airflow makes your engine run noticeably warmer.

In the end though, this is a cheap mod to store parts, do it or dont do it, doesnt affect me Cool
tim_ha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work. Perhaps my white version was the one you saw a while back. One of my favorite mods for sure. I was able to cary all of my spares for my drive down the Panamerican Highway.

I like your method of getting it to seal. I put some weather stripping around the inside of the bottom section that seals pretty well with the lid, but your tubing idea might be better. One minor problem I had was that some of my spares (CVs, wheel bearings) rattled around enough to wear through their packaging and gather a bit of rust from all of the ocean air I was in. Make sure to pad and double package parts that you don't want to rust.
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tim_ha wrote:
Nice work. Perhaps my white version was the one you saw a while back. One of my favorite mods for sure. I was able to cary all of my spares for my drive down the Panamerican Highway.

I like your method of getting it to seal. I put some weather stripping around the inside of the bottom section that seals pretty well with the lid, but your tubing idea might be better. One minor problem I had was that some of my spares (CVs, wheel bearings) rattled around enough to wear through their packaging and gather a bit of rust from all of the ocean air I was in. Make sure to pad and double package parts that you don't want to rust.

Yup! Thats the one! Super cleaver idea! I really liked it! Thanks for the tips on parts rattling in there. Ill keep an eye on it Smile
Abelabelabel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving this mod.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newfisher wrote:
And the holes in the plate?

Not all spare tire/front pans have holes. This is one of the reinforced pans that came on 16" Vans with the factory spare tire mount on the rear.

And this is one that swings down to accept a spare. These came on vans with the rough road package.

So I don't think they used the holes in the clam shell as anything other than weight reduction. After all, those things are fairly flimsy.

To the OP, nice job!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:

To the OP, nice job!

thanks!
JED THE SPREAD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thasty07 wrote:
Im not totally sure that I believe the tire as being part of the crumple zone protection. People have been pulling the spares out and making their own skid plates for as long as the vans have been produced. Havent heard about an increased injury/mortality rate because of that.

Hardly any of the European spec Syncros have the clam shell fitted and never had a wheel under the front from the factory so I'm with you.

Jed
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Spare tire storage container DIY Reply with quote

Well the storage bin has been paying dividends lately. On our way home over the Santiam Pass, traveling with my sister, we passed by the rest stop and within a mile it felt like we were driving over a speed bump constantly. I pulled over and got out to take a look. Shook the passenger wheel and it was loose loose loose.

Welp... Crap

Sister thought, "great, tow truck ride, this is going to take forever..."

Nope!

Turned around and drove a gentle mile back to rest stop and put on a new wheel bearing kit in the parking lot. People thought we were the Clampetts but I dont care, sure didnt have to ride in a tow truck Very Happy

Carrying all these parts and tools has really made traveling less stressful when something goes wrong.

Best $27 mod I have done for the van yet.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Spare tire storage container DIY Reply with quote

Applause Applause Applause

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Spare tire storage container DIY Reply with quote

Caulking gun? Something I don't usually carry...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: