Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to install a clutch on a 1600 motor for your bus
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwuguy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: How to install a clutch on a 1600 motor for your bus Reply with quote

Link

any comments on how to do this better or faster please comment
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: How to install a clutch on a 1600 motor for your bus Reply with quote

kill background noise- put motor on bench- get real lighting- reduce image so it doesn't buffer so much.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwuguy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: How to install a clutch on a 1600 motor for your bus Reply with quote

makes sense i will try that next time
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: How to install a clutch on a 1600 motor for your bus Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing!
Tcash
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: How to install a clutch on a 1600 motor for your bus Reply with quote

If he has the distributor drive installed but not the distributor he may have damaged the brass gear by spinning the engine backwards as much as he did because he was too lazy and ignorant to figure out a way to prevent the flywheel from turning while tightening the bolts. Even a block of wood jambed under the flywheel on one side will do, though a flywheel lock is nice.

I also don't like the way he loosened the bolts. He went to a lot of unnecessary effort to use a star pattern to remove the bolts but since he didn't loosen all the bolts first before he started spinning them out he may well have bent the cover as the last several bolts were removed along with really stressing that last bolt.

Nothing very special about the clutch cover bolts either, they are just 8.8 spec bolts. For myself I buy 10.9 washer head bolts and use them, plus I like to use high temperature loctite on the bolts verses use any kind of lock washer. You can torque the 10.9 bolts a bit tighter as well.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: How to install a clutch on a 1600 motor for your bus Reply with quote

He went to all the trouble to put this together. I would say is not lazy and asking for "any comments on how to do this better or faster please comment" is not ignorant!
Tcash
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: How to install a clutch on a 1600 motor for your bus Reply with quote

Who made the video? Did the OP make the video or did he find it online, nothing says. For all I know the OP has never changed a clutch out before and wants to know if the information given in the video is the best way to go about doing it. Should he follow the instructions in this video or find some better instructions elsewhere? I mentioned a few problems with the video, but there are others as well.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: How to install a clutch on a 1600 motor for your bus Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
He went to all the trouble to put this together. I would say is not lazy and asking for "any comments on how to do this better or faster please comment" is not ignorant!
Tcash

Ignorance is a lack of knowledge. The OP lacked some knowledge, therefore he was ignorant. The OP is not stupid nor is he afraid to show his lack of knowledge and ask for comments.

He and we have learned from others and for the OP, two out of three is an excellent score on TheSamba.

"To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge."

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: How to install a clutch on a 1600 motor for your bus Reply with quote

It would be more constructive to point out any inconsistencies in the process and explain the proper procedure.
Just a thought
Tcash
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: How to install a clutch on a 1600 motor for your bus Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
It would be more constructive to point out any inconsistencies in the process and explain the proper procedure.
Just a thought
Tcash

I think that is what I did.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: How to install a clutch on a 1600 motor for your bus Reply with quote

Here's a couple things.

Keep the engine from spinning
Torque the bolts but you spent three times too long going back over them
Clean the flywheel by using shop air, a good clean solvent like MEK, inspect it for damage.
Sandpaper the glaze off the disc
Clutch kits usually include an alignment tool
Put some grease into the pilot bearing
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
vwuguy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: How to install a clutch on a 1600 motor for your bus Reply with quote

thanks guys yes i made the video as i have made another 100 videos on my vw bus before on youtube vwuguy. subscribe to my chanel it is allways fun watching me fix stuff.. your right i could have blocked the flywheel from turning it with a piece or wood, good idea, i'll do that next time,
try finding hardenned steel metric bolts in ontario..
and if you do could you tell me where to get them as rona , home hardware and canadian tire donot sell them or the hardenned steel washer that goes with them either..
I have installed a clutch before on my bus with the normal stainless steel bolts and that lead to a disaster on my bus only 500miles down the road all those bolts fell off..the bus came to a jerking hault stuck in first gear..
and goodbye clutch. a new clutch wasted..
don't want that again..
Do you think 18ft pounds is the right torque like on a 2l or should i go tighter?
I am pretty sure in the vw manual it says use the original vw bolts, I try to attain the original bolts for everything makes life easier.
Original is allways best as it lasted 30+years at this point almost no one makes quality like that anymore..
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: How to install a clutch on a 1600 motor for your bus Reply with quote

On torque. You can't go wrong following the manual for torque values. 18 is plenty but I'm sure you could go tighter as long as you don't over stress the bolts. No real point though. If you're worried about them coming loose then use some loctite on them. I always clean hardware before reusing it. Impact guns work well for disassembly. Fast and the engine won't spin. Best tool to have.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: How to install a clutch on a 1600 motor for your bus Reply with quote

As posted
It is a good time to lube the pilot bearing.
Deglaze the disc with sand paper.
Sand the flywheel and pressure plate and clean the surface with Alcohol, Carb cleaner. I don't like solvent or some brake cleaners because they leave a residue.
If you cannot replace the lock washers. Still use them and As suggested use blue loctite.
I like to lube the disc splines with anti-seize. Making sure to run a rag threw the hole to clean any access off so it is not flung onto the disc surfaces during service.

Thanks again
Tcash
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: How to install a clutch on a 1600 motor for your bus Reply with quote

Not sure that these are quite the right length but they would be close. I like the flange/washer head bolts because they don't need washers under them, thus eliminating a point of potential failure. Flange head bolts seem to be more readily available in a 10.9 grade than a 8.8 grade.

https://www.belmetric.com/bf8x20ylw-flange-bolt-10...=2_1047_68

Yes the original bolts may be fine, but how many times have they been reused at this point? How many times have they been either over or under torqued? I am not saying not to reused them but one needs to do so with caution.

One can safely use a torque of around 24 ft*lbs on a 10.9 8M bolt in this application, lessening the chance that the bolt could come loose. If you could find unplated bolts for this application, so much the better.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: How to install a clutch on a 1600 motor for your bus Reply with quote

+1 over here for not using the flange head bolts. I don't know what gorilla over-tightened them on my engine, but they must have used a breaker bar or impact wrench to install them. Eventually I needed 50+ lb/ft of torque to break each one free, and one completely rounded before I had to cut a new head onto it with a grinder in my living room...... Shocked

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think this is one of those areas where "life is too short to over think it" for me, so I always just used whatever VW told me to.

Wildthings wrote:
Not sure that these are quite the right length but they would be close. [M8x20 bolts]

M8x18 was the factory length for T1 engines, which is unavailable new as far as I know. x20 is common, and you can go up to x25 (maybe more?) without causing issues in an emergency.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: How to install a clutch on a 1600 motor for your bus Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
+1 over here for not using the flange head bolts. I don't know what gorilla over-tightened them on my engine, but they must have used a breaker bar or impact wrench to install them. Eventually I needed 50+ lb/ft of torque to break each one free, and one completely rounded before I had to cut a new head onto it with a grinder in my living room...... Shocked

Don't think that I have ever rounded one even though I Loctite them in place and thus see very high removal torques. I do own and regularly use six point sockets which make installing and removing fasteners all the much easier.
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: How to install a clutch on a 1600 motor for your bus Reply with quote

Hi Erb: if you are looking for hardened bolts or just about everything to do with fasteners,tools,etc. I use SB Simpson in Burlington. They may have an outlet near you or just search for any industrial supply house. Jim

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: How to install a clutch on a 1600 motor for your bus Reply with quote

Your local VW Audi Porsche dealer should have them.
Part numbers
N 010 239 11...Hex Head Bolt...M8x18
N 012 241 11...Spring washer b 8 x 15

Good luck
Tcash
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How to install a clutch on a 1600 motor for your bus Reply with quote

[quote="asiab3

[/quote]

Shocked

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: