Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Silly clutch question
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pops67Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:43 am    Post subject: Silly clutch question Reply with quote

I have a 67 beetle stock everything with a new clutch disk and a new clutch pedal (the original broke). Since I put the engine back in I get a high pitched squeal when the clutch is fully depressed. I have adjusted and readjusted the clutch and it has about 3/8 of free play. I canít figure out what I am doing wrong. Any ideas? I really appreciate the help.

67 beetle sedan
Stock trans, original cable, new pedal disk and throw out bearing.
iowegian
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Silly clutch question Reply with quote

Bad throw-out bearing.
Airstream65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Silly clutch question Reply with quote

X2
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Silly clutch question Reply with quote

x3
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2005 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Silly clutch question Reply with quote

Probably a defective throwout bearing as noted, but since you said the squeal doesn't occur until the pedal is fully depressed, before you tear back into it you might want to increase your freeplay first to see if that stops the squeal; you may just be overcompressing the pressure plate. Your 3/8" freeplay is just under the minimum spec laid out by VW.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Silly clutch question Reply with quote

If it is in fact the TO bearing and you are somewhat talented then it is entirely possible to take it apart clean and repack the bearing. I donít know what a new aftermarket bearing costs now but I do have more confidence in a genuine German bearing.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=665572&highlight=
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Silly clutch question Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Probably a defective throwout bearing as noted, but since you said the squeal doesn't occur until the pedal is fully depressed, before you tear back into it you might want to increase your freeplay first to see if that stops the squeal; you may just be overcompressing the pressure plate. Your 3/8" freeplay is just under the minimum spec laid out by VW.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This seems like a good suggestion since I'm assuming the squeal wasn't present before the new clutch was installed.
Pops67Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Silly clutch question Reply with quote

Thank you all for the information. I will readjust the free play and hope for the best. The squeal wasnít there when my Dad garaged it in Ď86. Iíll post an update when itís dry enough outside to get greasy. Thanks again and Happy New Year to you all.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Silly clutch question Reply with quote

Pops67Beetle wrote:
Thank you all for the information. I will readjust the free play and hope for the best. The squeal wasnít there when my Dad garaged it in Ď86. Iíll post an update when itís dry enough outside to get greasy. Thanks again and Happy New Year to you all.

I would squeak too if I hadn't moved in 34 years! Wink
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Silly clutch question Reply with quote

Did you only replace the clutch disc? Not the pressure plate and TO bearing? Typically they are replaced as a set. This is to avoid having to remove the engine just months later because one of the old parts failed.

You should also consider resurfacing the flywheel so that both sides of the clutch disc have a fresh/clean friction surface to work against. Just make sure the machine shop knows what they are doing. The stock VW flywheel needs two surfaces resurfaced to maintain the proper distance between the clutch surface and the mounting surface. Unlike some cars which mount the PP to the same flywheel surface that the clutch disc rests on, ACVW flywheels have a ledge for the PP to mount to.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Pops67Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Silly clutch question Reply with quote

Hi All. Thanks again for the awesome information. I readjusted the freeplay and the squeal went away. I am going to pull the engine in the early spring to replace the front engine seal and will get the pressure plate and flywheel surfaces machined. I found a garage that is very old school and knows quite a bit about the old Beetles and has the skill to make things right.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: