Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bay window seat and TMI upholstery
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:12 am    Post subject: Bay window seat and TMI upholstery Reply with quote

I have a 1969 bay window middle seat that I will weld in the handle supports for.

1. If I buy a TMI Como Green seat covers and will it fit?

2. I don't have a bay window rear, but most likely will get one. Can I use a TMI pre 1967 seat cover kit for it also? \

Thanks
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Bay window seat and TMI upholstery Reply with quote

TMI did my covers and I have a Bay middle seat, I'm sure if you tell them what you have they'll make the correct covers for you. Since they build most stuff to order it's not a big deal.
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Bay window seat and TMI upholstery Reply with quote

I have a bay window rear seat in my '65 panel bus. I have restored and recovered a short middle seat and rear seat for a '67 deluxe. Here are some things I recall:

- Bay window rear seat is slightly narrower (left to right) than split bus rear seat.
- Backrest and springs on bay window seats are much beefier and thicker than split window seats. This applies to rear, middle and front seats.

I'd say to order bay window middle and rear seat covers in the como green color. If you end up getting a split window rear seat, then the bay window rear cover could possibly work on it. Most likely it will fit the bottom better than the backrest.

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zehbeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Bay window seat and TMI upholstery Reply with quote

My 64 bus came with a short bay middle seat. And a como green cover. The seat covers were replacements, so I guess they are from TMI.

How I got the seat:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After I did some welding to the outer leg and armrest
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay window seat and TMI upholstery Reply with quote

Does anyone know or have pictures of the slit that is cut into the back bar of the seat section of a true split window 2/3 middle seat that accommodates the seat cover, (where it tucks in)?

I'm trying to figure out if the slit is in the same position or if it changed from a split to a bay window. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the slit is in a different location a TMI split window 2/3 seat cover might not fit right if the slit is in a different location?

I'm trying to find this out to confirm if my bay 2/3 seat needs the slit relocated or it can stay in its current position.

Thank you for any info and pictures you might provide.

Last edited by Spitty1974 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay window seat and TMI upholstery Reply with quote

Does this photo I found help?

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Bay window seat and TMI upholstery Reply with quote

Look at y'all using bay parts on a split!! If the bay forum found out, they'd never let it go.. we were wondering who was driving up the price of our middle seats the last few years Wink
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Bay window seat and TMI upholstery Reply with quote

I found this thread which is very helpful for the middle seat and bay vs early.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7188625&highlight=#7188625
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Bay window seat and TMI upholstery Reply with quote

I think the seat covers patterns are somewhat different for a bay seat.
If you are using bay seats in your split, and are ordering seat covers from TMI, tell them what seat you are using, and what colour fabric you want it in.
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay window seat and TMI upholstery Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
I think the seat covers patterns are somewhat different for a bay seat.
If you are using bay seats in your split, and are ordering seat covers from TMI, tell them what seat you are using, and what colour fabric you want it in.

That is where the story gets sad. I did call TMI and they told me they could not tell me what pattern they would use, that I had to call my local vendor. I called the local vendor who said they had no idea and I should call TMI. I called TMI and insisted they answer the question. Multiple employees of TMI said they could not, they took my info and said the would call my vendor and ask them (but never called me back). Seriously?

I ordered the covers, we will see what I get.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay window seat and TMI upholstery Reply with quote

Some photos of the slit on a middle seat I have here:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay window seat and TMI upholstery Reply with quote

Thank you for taking the time to take and post those photo. They're a huge help.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: