Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do you install a 64-67 front door check?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandtrooper747
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: How do you install a 64-67 front door check? Reply with quote

I have the door check with the metal rod and rollers. How do I get the rod in between the rollers though?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you install a 64-67 front door check? Reply with quote

stick a large flat screwdriver in there, turn it sideways, and shove the rod in kinda underneath it , pull out screwdriver, shove it in the rest of the way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: How do you install a 64-67 front door check? Reply with quote

Lube all the moving parts. Lube where the rollers roll on the door check. This prop puts stress on the lower hinge, which often gets cracked.
Properly lubing it helps keep it easier to closer the door without stressing the hinge. Grease is good.
sandtrooper747
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you install a 64-67 front door check? Reply with quote

It worked! Thanks! Very Happy
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you install a 64-67 front door check? Reply with quote

sandtrooper747 was lucky; my rollers simply pop apart when the screwdriver trick is used. The rollers sit in a cage with the two halves joined by a tab-and-finger arrangement; if I spread the rollers far enough to get the check bar in, the tabs pop out of the fingers (and the whole mess has to come out and be reassembled again). Curious what others might have done to get around the issue.
"If Von Dutch was alive, he'd walk in there with a pistol and shoot these people."
-Robert Williams
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you install a 64-67 front door check? Reply with quote

After much fun, one went on only if the top fingers came apart, and the other might have gone on with roller assembly intact ( garage is too narrow to open door enough to tell).

So, next stupid question: which way does the door check bend; does it follow the curve of the door skin I.e. curve towards inside, or against door skin and point away from cab?

The oacdp scan is too lo-res to tell, but in my original manual it appears to curve towards the skin from the door. Just double checking (pardon the pun).

Because of course I probably put them on backwards…
"If Von Dutch was alive, he'd walk in there with a pistol and shoot these people."
-Robert Williams
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: How do you install a 64-67 front door check? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4831694&highlight=#4831694

Lube it up. In a 67 I used to have, the door was cracked by the lower hinge. The door was stuck when I got the bus.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9055237&highlight=#9055237
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you install a 64-67 front door check? Reply with quote

70bus wrote:
So, next stupid question: which way does the door check bend; does it follow the curve of the door skin I.e. curve towards inside, or against door skin and point away from cab?

Away towards the outside world.
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you install a 64-67 front door check? Reply with quote

There was at least one post mentioning following the curve of door, and the photos were inconclusive. Parts manual was definitive of course

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The scans on thesamba are helpful, but it was worth the investment for the high-res originals in this manual for stuff like this.

Opened enough to show curve direction, and why it needs to go that way. Garage too narrow to show it better :P
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

-Robert Williams
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: