Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

split beetle convertible doors?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: split beetle convertible doors? Reply with quote

I am trying to understand the difference between early oval doors and split convertible doors. I hear conflicting info. Here is a picture of an early convertible door from the samba. Using this door as the subject. is this a split beetle convertible door (like for a 1950 to 1952)? or is it newer and why?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am also curious to know what is the different between like a 1954 convertible body and a split convertible body?
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: split beetle convertible doors? Reply with quote

vintage fiberglass wrote:
is this a split beetle convertible door (like for a 1950 to 1952)? or is it newer and why?

I am also curious to know what is the different between like a 1954 convertible body and a split convertible body?

that door is not split. A LOT of details are different... handle locations, regulator mounting, window channel mounting, lack of vent wing channel, door check strap, entire inner pressing shape..to mention a few. split doors are nothing like zwitter and later doors, and later doors are a ton of work to convert correctly.

difference between a 54 vert body and a split body? well aside from all of the obvious difference between a 54 sedan and a split sedan?
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: split beetle convertible doors? Reply with quote

Thank you so much! I had no intentions of discrediting the door i pictured. I just wanted to understand the differences. Does anyone have a picture of a real split beetle convertible door to post?

My other question was simply this. If you needed a donor car to fix a very rough split convertible what would you use? I know a split beetle would work for a lot of things. But the convertibles had reinforcements up front under the dash? and in the quarter panel areas? So maybe a 1955 and earlier convertible? Just asking.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: split beetle convertible doors? Reply with quote

here you can see the substantial differences of a split door.

as far as say those front wheel well reinforcements, they may be similar in a post split bug but remember that from early 51 through split production there were crotch coolers and the reinforcements were shaped to accommodate. pre-crotch cooler panels are surely different.
Terry Gaudet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: split beetle convertible doors? Reply with quote

Thank for the clarification. I am the one who has the first pictured doors listed here on the Samba. I was told they were split doors but I guess that is not the case.

I have since updated the ad. So these would be Zwitter/Oval vert doors?

1950 Beetle Standard
1955 Canadian Custom
1956 Kombi w/SO23 kit
1965 Kombi walkthrough
1965 Double Cab
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: split beetle convertible doors? Reply with quote

sled wrote:
here you can see the substantial differences of a split door.

as far as say those front wheel well reinforcements, they may be similar in a post split bug but remember that from early 51 through split production there were crotch coolers and the reinforcements were shaped to accommodate. pre-crotch cooler panels are surely different.

This door is a Hebmuller door. I wonder where you got that from?
Peter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: split beetle convertible doors? Reply with quote

May I ask what year the grey primed door at the top of this tread fits. Just need to know if someone contacts me to buy them. Thanks.

1950 Beetle Standard
1955 Canadian Custom
1956 Kombi w/SO23 kit
1965 Kombi walkthrough
1965 Double Cab
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: split beetle convertible doors? Reply with quote

Terry Gaudet wrote:
May I ask what year the grey primed door at the top of this tread fits. Just need to know if someone contacts me to buy them. Thanks.

Looks correct for zwitter convertible and oval convertible thru end of 1955 model year
Porsche904
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: split beetle convertible doors? Reply with quote

Terry Gaudet wrote:

...fits Oct52-July55 convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: split beetle convertible doors? Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have also adjusted the price on these doors.

1950 Beetle Standard
1955 Canadian Custom
1956 Kombi w/SO23 kit
1965 Kombi walkthrough
1965 Double Cab
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: split beetle convertible doors? Reply with quote

If you need to repair a Split Kabriolet (or sedan) door you could do a lot worse than buying the repair panels form Mika Virtanen - he has produced the door bottom, door skin bottom and bracing for just this repair:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=489466

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: