Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Summer engine into 68 Westy - questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Summer engine into 68 Westy - questions Reply with quote

So every vendor lists this as 25 hp and 36 hp, but this is what came stock on the 1968 1500 engine, right? This is why I have had so many questions in my mind about ordering it.

68 Westy
92 Jetta (oh it is retired)
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
72 Westy (I am going to fix it up)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer engine into 68 Westy - questions Reply with quote

soissisc wrote:
So every vendor lists this as 25 hp and 36 hp, but this is what came stock on the 1968 1500 engine, right? This is why I have had so many questions in my mind about ordering it.

A fuel pump is an easily swappable part by a trained money with a wrench. Pierburg (and maybe others) made pumps with identical internals but different inlets and outlets. If you have the pump in the picture, that's the line you use.

1968 featured a 1600cc engine in the bus, 1500cc in the bug. Don't go off websites; go off of what your bus has.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer engine into 68 Westy - questions Reply with quote

So 6mm it is, tank to carb in my case. Thanks.

My next question has to do with the gas tank. I did a clean up of the inside, although it was not really that bad, and then wanted to take care of some light rust on the outside. I sanded on the outside, more or less to scuff it up and remove any flaking paint so I could treat the rust. Now, I am ready to primer / paint it. I was thinking a satin black rattle can. But once it is all cleaned up it looks more like a gray with blue tint? What color have you all been painting your tanks? This is an early bay.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can see above, the tank is much "grayer" than the engine tin seen in the background (which is flat or sating black). Or even closer to the antifreeze container sitting in the foreground.

I am going to be going the rattle can paint job on the tank, I wondered if there are any close matches that anyone knows of?

Thanks.

68 Westy
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer engine into 68 Westy - questions Reply with quote

yes, it's grey and rustoleum makes one that is close.
make sure you get the old school, takes FOREVER to dry rusto.
it lays down nice and is tough as nails once it's fully cured.
be patient and it can come out really good.
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Summer engine into 68 Westy - questions Reply with quote

I was doing some searching, it seems like a Rust-oleum Ford Gray or Massey Gray may be close enough. The Ford may be a little lighter, and the Massey may be a little darker, but I am sure that the paint on the tank has darkened with age and it's environment.

I am going to stop in to the local Tractor Supply and see what they have. An engine enamel or even just tractor and implement paint may be the ticket. I will let everyone know what I find.

68 Westy
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer engine into 68 Westy - questions Reply with quote

Tank ready for some primer and paint. Those cool factory paint runs are staying!

It is painted and looks good. Massey Ferguson Gray is not exactly the right shade of gray, but it looks a lot better to me and the outer surface rust is pretty handled I believe.

Painted pictures to come..

68 Westy
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Summer engine into 68 Westy - questions Reply with quote

Here is a pic of the finished product after about 36 hrs drying time. I was going to wait to get a pic in the sun so they are apples to apples comparison, but we may not see the sun again for a stretch. So here it is, hanging in the garage on a dreary rainy day with no flash.

I am super happy with how it turned out.

68 Westy
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer engine into 68 Westy - questions Reply with quote

Hello all, in moving on with the saga, I decided to have a look inside the nose cone for any obvious signs of trouble. I have been reading about the donut being worn, the pinion bearing race sinking into the nose cone, and a few other things. So I pulled the nose cone and all seems well with the exception of the C bracket / pivot pin interface. It seems a bit sloppy on the small diameter end.

The thrust area for the pinion bearing looked fine and the bearing race feels tight in the bore.

I am not sure if adding the metal plate is worth it at this time, or now is the time to do it. I may replace the donut, the seal for the hockey stick, and also that c bracket. Weddle appears to be out of stock on the c bracket.

I'll look a bit closer at everything tomorrow.

68 Westy
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Summer engine into 68 Westy - questions Reply with quote

I have another trans here that makes a whirring sound in 1st gear, I am going to pull the nose cone and see what the C bracket looks like on that one.

68 Westy
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer engine into 68 Westy - questions Reply with quote

I ended up calling Weddle, they had a few in stock that were not listed on the website, so I was able to get everything ordered including the C bracket. Carry on!

68 Westy
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer engine into 68 Westy - questions Reply with quote

The parts came in from Weddle. I got the steel plate installed (without machining the nose cone), new paper gaskets on each side of the steel plate, new pivot pin bracket, new steel ball, and new hockey stick seal.

I had to think about if I blocked the vent or not, but I am pretty sure everything is OK there.

Now I need to give the rest of the trans a bath.

68 Westy
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer engine into 68 Westy - questions Reply with quote

I got the transaxle cleaned up pretty well. I also installed the front mount bracket.

I did have another question. While doing all of the nose cone work, I had the transaxle sitting vertical on the bellhousing (on a couple of 4 x 4's). A bit of gear oil appeared to drip from the input shaft. Would this indicate that I should replace that seal, or would this not leak so much in normal running (horizontal). I have not used this transmission for probably 10 or 15 years, so I don't recall it leaking gear oil in the bellhousing.

I also having a hard time finding any GL4 gear oil locally. I am looking at ordering Amsoil 75-90 GL4 $$$.

68 Westy
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer engine into 68 Westy - questions Reply with quote

I had a threaded hole in the 002 case for the Bowden tube bracket that was stripped, I needed to take care of that. I inserted a helicoil.

(Before picture only)

Then I cleaned up the CV output flanges of all of the dried up crusty grease (and who knows what else), I noticed some strange wear on the driver's side flange.

(Before pic only)

I sanded down the high spots and called it good. I am going to clean and re-grease the CV joints themselves so I'll look for any weird wear there.

As far as the input shaft seal, I am still on the fence.

68 Westy
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer engine into 68 Westy - questions Reply with quote

I have a quick question: I noticed some play on the clutch cable arm to the throw-out bearing cross shaft. So when I would push the clutch, the arm would move some radially before the throw-out bearing would actually start moving. Is slop here acceptable? See below for a crude measurement to explain better.

Here it would be at rest:

And then when starting to push the pedal it moves this far before the teeth engage:

And I took all of your advice and went ahead and changed the input shaft seal.

68 Westy
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer engine into 68 Westy - questions Reply with quote

I’d say that play in the shaft isn’t good. I could be wrong but it should be tight, my one 6 rib that arm is seized on. It would probably be fine but could give out at some point. But I may not be the best reference as my transmissions are usually out of rotted out cars so everything is seized Laughing
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer engine into 68 Westy - questions Reply with quote

I would check for that play with the arm spring tension removed. If it's between the arm and shaft teeth, I'm not sure what you could do besides bulk it up with something like RTV. (Still removable in the future.) The operation shouldn't be affected really, clutch cable adjustment should make it fine.

If the play is in the shaft to bushing area, new bushings are available and the left side installs without any special tools. The right side requires a slide hammer and special drift, but the left side is held in with a bolt and some washers. Bentley has an excellent explored view of early bay bushing setups. There are two sizes, early/small and late/larger, but you'll have to search around to find out exactly how and where to measure.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Summer engine into 68 Westy - questions Reply with quote

Quote:
I’d say that play in the shaft isn’t good

I have to agree. I sort of thought you'd need a puller to get that arm off, mine slides right off once the circlip is removed.

Quote:
I would check for that play with the arm spring tension removed.

This is with the spring removed. I first noticed it with the spring installed, when I was changing the seal, removing the throw out bearing. It is wear in the teeth.

I have another 002 here, I may check the arm out on that one.

The bushings feel very good, barely noticeable clearance on the fit.

68 Westy
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer engine into 68 Westy - questions Reply with quote

Pulling that arm on the other trans - no success tonight. Tomorrow is another day.

68 Westy
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: