Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Well, I figured I would post up that I decided to sell the bug. As much as I do like it, when I go off to college in the fall, it wont get much of any use for years and I can put the money towards other things. I also have other projects I want to do during the summer so something needed to go.

I still have to get the windshield replaced since it cracked. (also why one wiper is off.)

But here are a few of the final pics:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop

Last edited by Ceckert64 on Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Well, it's sad to read that you are selling the car. After all the work you put into it.
But, I can totally understand your reasoning.
It will sell for some very good money, to help offset you college education expenses.

BTW. You did a fantastic job getting this car restored to it's current glory.

Now, as TDCTDI recommended. Lift your square and put a set of fatties under it and rock that wagon, Gambler 500 style! Twisted Evil

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Well, it's sad to read that you are selling the car. After all the work you put into it.
But, I can totally understand your reasoning.
It will sell for some very good money, to help offset you college education expenses.

BTW. You did a fantastic job getting this car restored to it's current glory.

Now, as TDCTDI recommended. Lift your square and put a set of fatties under it and rock that wagon, Gambler 500 style! Twisted Evil

Yeah, I’m a bit sad too but it’s also now at the point where I don’t really want to drive it since it’s so nice, partly too because I don’t want any issues before I sell it. When I drive it I’m constantly scared a deer will jump out of the wood and I’ll smoke it and have to redo the front end.

Thank you!

I’m thinking about lifting the Squareback Twisted Evil The only thing is that it seems most of the time you have to trim the fenders and I have a hard time cutting away at my OG paint fenders.

But another motive to sell is I have a next Beetle lined up. Long story ahead Laughing When my friend bought his Squareback and then I bought my parts Squareback, the guy we bought it from is 80 and he is getting rid of his project VWs as he realizes he can’t do a full resto anymore. Anyways we got two Squarebacks from him for $450 and split the price for each of us. They had been for sale word of mouth so no one really jumped on the deals. Both had titles, pretty complete. Another friend drove us up with a trailer we we got the Squares and then the owner had a bus we went and looked at, so my other friend decides to buy this guys bus for… $200 Shocked it’s a 78 bay with a complete interior that looks perfect. The rest of the bus was rusty, no title, engine or trans but still a good deal. So we went back a few weeks later to get that bus. He had another bus that was full of parts so I bought all the parts out of it. Pretty much that was all his VWs that sat outside and the rest are restored sitting inside. But this whole time there was a 1971 Blue bug sitting off on the woods that had a Rolls Royce hood kit and was so repulsive I never wasted my time to look at it till my friends went over and wanted me to take a look while I was getting all the parts out of the other bus. Well, I got over to it and my friend were thinking about flipping it and wanted my thoughts. I get over and it’s actually really nice. He has this thing sitting on boards that are on a couple of cylinders blocks so the bottom of the car is sitting 3 feet off the ground. I crawl under it and the floor pans are still mostly paint, little surface rust and no rust holes. The heater channels are perfect, wheel wells are nearly perfect with a few small rust spots. Under all the lichen, the paint is actually pretty nice. The interior is amazing. I can turn the engine over by hand and he said he drove it up on its resting place 8 years ago. It has a title, keys, it’s missing one rear fender and the rear bumper but it’s complete besides that. I ask how much and I get, “well, I paid $600 for it but I don’t think it’s worth that” Shocked so he is probably going to sell it for $600 or less I’d guess. My friends decided not to flip it though. It’s been a few months but I keep thinking more about it. It’s in amazing condition for a project, especially for Michigan, with an amazing price. It’s too hard to pass up. So I think after the Beetle sells I have now, I’m going to get the 71 and lift that. I love the looks of the Beetles, especially the 60s ones, and still want one, but I think a later one will be nice where it’s a lot less money and worry. I have a junkyard near me that also has around 50 70s beetles so parts are a lot easier to get than for Squarebacks or early Beetles so another reason I’m considering the 71.

PS, rustsavenger, I’ve been following along and it’s great to see you got you original 67 back!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

That's a great story on the finds.

Get that 71 and make it your college transport. You'll be a hit on campus.

Thanks for following along on my epic, stolen car and recovery exploits.
It's been a very twisted time in my long life.

You have far to go! I wish you well. You are the future of our hobby.

Life will get in the way for a bit. But the Bug Bite is never really cured.
They always stay in the back of your mind!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
That's a great story on the finds.

Get that 71 and make it your college transport. You'll be a hit on campus.

Thanks for following along on my epic, stolen car and recovery exploits.
It's been a very twisted time in my long life.

You have far to go! I wish you well. You are the future of our hobby.

Life will get in the way for a bit. But the Bug Bite never is really cured.
They always stay in the back of your mind!

Exactly what I was thinking for college. I’m going up to Michigan Tech so it’s 7-8 hours from where I live and it’s a bit colder and snowier. The underside would get coated with a bunch of master series and heater channels internally rust proofed. The adventures in the VWs in high school have been a blast. I even won class car, some people were a bit jealous Laughing

I couldn’t even imagine getting one of my cars stolen, I was looking and it’s been about 5-6 months of that crap. And the worst part was so much was out of your control to fix the situation. Just great you got it back.

Thank you! It’s cool that I’ve even gotten my friends into the VWs, two of them now our owners from the previous story. And more that are at least interested.

I think it will be weird not having a bug once this sells. I’ve had this bug since I was 11, now I’m almost 18 so really it’s been about half my memorable life, those first years wasn’t much to remember.

Aiden
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

jackup the price to like 50k or something so you can make it into the whine thread Laughing

its gonna be so weird in the future when its just you, myself, and few random folks still into vdubs. well, maybe depending what unfolds in 2028/2031
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
jackup the price to like 50k or something so you can make it into the whine thread Laughing

its gonna be so weird in the future when its just you, myself, and few random folks still into vdubs. well, maybe depending what unfolds in 2028/2031

Feel free to stick it in the whines, then I don’t have to jack the price up to 50k to make it Wink Laughing

Yeah, I wonder though if more will get into it as price goes down? Maybe one day a split bus won’t be so far out of reach Very Happy
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

I figured I’d put up a few more pictures

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Well, I may not end up selling the Beetle, I had some serious interest but nothing panned out and I stop seriously trying to sell it. I really have just started to enjoy it and for a long time during the restoration I was so sick and tired of the car and it was stopping me from getting my bus done and I almost resented it. But I’ve enjoyed it so much this summer. I have put a few thousand miles (4,000?) on it since the last update. It’s been running great, I slowed down a little and the 40hp has rewarded me with an average of 30mpg if I keep it at 55 or under. I also have come to love the sunroof on it now that it works right.

But this weekend took it a few hours north to a cabin and just took some pretty shots by the beach I figured I’d share. A lady there on the beach next to where I parked was telling me how her first car was a black 65 beetle with a red interior and it was cold to get to see how excited she was about it and how it brought back memories.

I also took this picture of the cabin we are at, it seems to fit the 70s theme

sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Great looking bug for sure! Glad you decided to hang onto it. I'm confident you would have regretted selling it down the line - I regret selling every beetle I've owned (4 total that I've sold).
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

sportin-wood wrote:
Great looking bug for sure! Glad you decided to hang onto it. I'm confident you would have regretted selling it down the line - I regret selling every beetle I've owned (4 total that I've sold).

Thank you!
I would think about selling it and always be sad thinking about it and realized that I really wanted it. Also it being my first car and spending all the time fixing it, it has a lot of memories. Good, bad, funny, crazy, it’s just been a huge part of my life. I would definitely have had regret selling it.
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Glad to hear you've fallen back in love with it!
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Wow. That turned out fantastic. The paint looks really good but so does everything else.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Jump to:
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: