Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

/New-to-Me Engine, what's missing
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Before the engine was rebuilt, I cleaned and painted all the engine tin and seals, replaced all the fuel lines (yes, even the evap system), cleaned out the tank and replaced the injectors.

What's a 'wideband'?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Check every FI part individually.
Look up the part number to be sure it's the right part.
Numbers and test procedures are both in the Bentley.

If you're going to use your 50-year-old wiring harness it better be a good one.
There are also procedures for leak-testing all of the components for air leaks caused by wear and old age.
Search 'smoke machine'..
This is beyond the scope of the Bentley because these things were new and/or available new.
Like the S-Boot, TB bushings, dipstick boot and.. On and on.

I like my Innovate wideband.
There are cheaper ones.
Often you can borrow or rent one just to get tuned.
https://www.diyautotune.com/brand/innovate-motorsp...MPEALw_wcB

Ever hear some dummy say something like "so easy to work on"
"Motor comes out with only four bolts"
"simple and basic"
They have no clue... Today, you have to pay your dues.

What’s That Noise?!?
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Not much of the FI system was on the motor when I bought it, so most of it (and all the rubber components) are brand new. I will have to look into the leak test.

The bus runs well and doesn't smoke. When it starts, it typically stalls once right away, then can start and will run fine. It's the fuel economy that seems to be off the most. If I recall correctly, I may not have changed out the cold-start injector. Could these symptoms be related to that?

Also, I believe I have to change my brake master as there's leakage there. when I pump the brakes, sometimes I can almost stall it out.

The fuel/air gauge sounds like a good investment, for any vehicle.
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

So, I was hoping to get a little help from the builder, but with the pandemic, it looks like I'm going to have to tackle the engine tuning myself Shocked

Since it's rebuild, it's had a pretty steady leak. I know everyone says they all leak, but I was hoping that this particular leak might be something that I can take care of. Here are some pics, from underneath, closer to the driver's side:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I took these a while ago, so if more reference is needed, I will take some more.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

A common source of oil leak is from a bad temperature switch.
They may seal well at the threads, but oil will spray out around the electrical connection.

Cross your fingers this is the source of your leak.
If so, it's a cheap and easy fix.

As for your question about the CSV, it only sprays for a couple seconds when you first crank the cold engine.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Clatter is right about the tuning. It’s not hard to get it Togo down the road. And it will seem like it runs “well enough”. But often it can run a lot better and a better tune plays a big part in engine longevity.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Goach2 wrote:
Also, I believe I have to change my brake master as there's leakage there. when I pump the brakes, sometimes I can almost stall it out..

How about if you just hold the pedal down?, same stalling?, or steady idle after a small drop?
Everything you describe says it's a bit too lean, like you still have a vacuum leak somewhere. The brake booster passes air while in transit, but should stop when the pedal stops moving, even if it's pushed, the added air can make an already lean engine run extra crappy. Same with the cold starts, too lean and it can't stay running when cold.

As already mentioned look up high for that oil leak, pressure switch or breather tower gasket are often to blame, wash it off with degreaser and look for the source. You can also remove the fan and run it for 3-4 minutes in the driveway to watch the back of the case it it comes to it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
TrollFromDownBelow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

Everything you describe says it's a bit too lean, like you still have a vacuum leak somewhere. The brake booster passes air while in transit, but should stop when the pedal stops moving, even if it's pushed, the added air can make an already lean engine run extra crappy.

Yes, that. If you pump the breaks rapidly does the idle drop? That's a sign it is running too lean. That's my down-n-dirty test. You either have vacuum leak, or the AFM needs to be adjusted.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Everything you describe says it's a bit too lean, like you still have a vacuum leak somewhere. The brake booster passes air while in transit, but should stop when the pedal stops moving, even if it's pushed, the added air can make an already lean engine run extra crappy.

Yes, that. If you pump the breaks rapidly does the idle drop? That's a sign it is running too lean. That's my down-n-dirty test. You either have vacuum leak, or the AFM needs to be adjusted.

Not always, the idle should be slightly on the side of lean already, a drop from brake pumping is normal, if it rises it's too rich. AFM adjustment should only be done with a gas analizer, and only after all vacuum leaks are ruled out.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

It's a little buried presently, but perhaps this weekend I can get it out and do some troubleshooting.

Pumping the brakes for sure can stall it out, but I believe holding the pedal down allows the RPMs to rise back up again.

For vacuum leak, do I just start pulling hoses off, one at a time, to see if any do not affect the idle? Are there any in particular I should pay attention to?

I will check the temperature switch for leaks and clean up the oil to see where the fresh stuff leaks out of.

After the engine was rebuilt, it was just dropped back (or lifted) into the bay and driven up onto the trailer for the trip home. No other adjustments have been made... yet.
crownline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

I would get rid of that oil pump and put in an original. I had the same pump you have and got an original from mofoco in Wisconsin no more leaks.

"It"s got some dings and dents and neither of us is going to SEMA."(Update, I went to SEMA in 2019 but the Bus stayed home)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-8446.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Thanks crownline, I'll add that to the list for the next time the engine is out.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Goach2 wrote:
For vacuum leak, do I just start pulling hoses off, one at a time, to see if any do not affect the idle? Are there any in particular I should pay attention to?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620083&highlight=smoke+tester

Слава Україні!
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Nice, I like the idea of the old paint sprayer, and I have one of those laying around!
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Going to attempt a full tune-up for the first time. I was thinking about picking up something like this:

It's older, but has everything I could need. Will this be sufficient?
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Tune-up step 1 complete, adjusted the valves tonight. Most were tight, so much needed adjustment and I'm curious to see how it improves performance (tomorrow). Nice and clean inside:

Also, how do not crimp/bend such a thin gauge?

Next, warm up, oil/filter change and basket clean out.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

One would usually use a 0.006" steel feeler gauge to adjust the valves. Brass feeler gauge are included in some sets for adjusting the clearances for magnetic pickups and such.
crownline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Remember if you take the taco plate off when you put it back on Only tourque it to 9 ft lbs.
As clean as those heads look I would leave it alone.

"It"s got some dings and dents and neither of us is going to SEMA."(Update, I went to SEMA in 2019 but the Bus stayed home)
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

This is the first oil change after a complete rebuild, shouldn't the screen be checked for filings?
crownline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

You can check. I think the filter will catch anything. Just be sure to not over tighten that when putting it back on.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: