Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

78 Super Convertible
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dockane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Super Convertible Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
You changed the distributor so my guess is timing. When I built my motor I timed it by some static method or whatever but when trying to start it I had to move the distributor just a little bit this way or just a little bit that way and then, finally, vroom, it started. Then I hooked up the timing light and dialed it in. Also, it took me many minutes of cranking that motor over to get the fuel system fully primed as the gas slowly made it all the way from the tank to the carburetor. So maybe that's some of whats going on too since you just put new lines on.

Don't give up! If its coughing you are making progress. Smile

Thanks Buggee. I’ll give it a try in the next couple days. I finally got my hard copy orders and have just over a month to get everything done here in Jersey and get out to San Diego by the first weekend of June. So free time is about to disappear for the month.
dockane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Super Convertible Reply with quote

So I can finally say I have a running super!!!! Very Happy not sure how but my plug wires were off. Wife’s uncle came over and we talked and with his help I got some backfires. Got the needed tool and fixed the problem. Running rough right now, but she is running. I have an oil leak that appears to be coming from where the intake connects to the head, cylinder 1&2 side. I’ll post a pick of the area in a little bit.
I am driving out to San Diego starting Friday, not in the super. It will be shipped out once we have gotten to San Diego. At least now the cost of the shipment will be lower.
dockane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Super Convertible Reply with quote

Here is the pic of the area I noticed the oil. After I drove a quick drive around the block I noticed the oil, it was bubbling there in the area.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Daddy o's 67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Super Convertible Reply with quote

What do your valve cover gaskets look like? Are they old and hard or new cork gsks?
dockane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Super Convertible Reply with quote

Daddy o's 67 wrote:
What do your valve cover gaskets look like? Are they old and hard or new cork gsks?

Both are new cork gaskets. So I drover around again today and didn’t see any oil like last time. Not sure, maybe I didn’t drive as hard or as far.
dockane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Super Convertible Reply with quote

So as I sit here in my house in San Diego waiting on the car carrier with my little Beetle, I find myself wondering a question that might be kind of stupid. If I change the shoes for the brakes only do I need to bleed the brakes? Everything looked pretty solid before I left but I know rear ones needed it and figured that I might as well do all 4 anyways. This will be my daily driver and I kind of think that being able to stop is an important thing for driving.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Super Convertible Reply with quote

Just changing shoes should not require bleeding brakes. However the general rule is one should replace all the brake fluid every two years (but this is seldom done) and if one multiplies that interval into decades, it's not a bad idea to cycle the fluid out, even if, done right, you don't get any air bubbles in the process.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dockane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Super Convertible Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Just changing shoes should not require bleeding brakes. However the general rule is one should replace all the brake fluid every two years (but this is seldom done) and if one multiplies that interval into decades, it's not a bad idea to cycle the fluid out, even if, done right, you don't get any air bubbles in the process.

Thanks.
dockane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Super Convertible Reply with quote

Ok so I have noticed this twice now. When I start my super everything seems to be going fine. Once the idle seems to level out I get fuel pouring out of my oil breather. Not sure what is going on. First time I thought it was oil but oil level is fine and just did an oil change just over a month ago before it was shipped out to San Diego. I had thought that maybe the engine was flooded but now that it happened again today I’m at a loss. I was already to get her all cleaned up and drive around today but guess that wasn’t supposed to happen. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Super Convertible Reply with quote

No "fuel" should come out of that fitting. That is for crankcase breathing only and it should have a hose that feeds into the air cleaner. There is no way gas can get to that fitting unless your crankcase is full of an oil/gas mixture which you would be able to tell by the dipstick. What you are probably seeing is an oil vapor which if excessive, would be caused by worn rings. If the rings are good all the vapor from the combustion will stay in the combustion chamber and be pushed out the exhaust. If the rings are worn the compression will seep by the rings and into the crankcase causing what is called "blow by" and that vapor goes out the crankcase breather which for you is that brass fitting on your oil fill tube. A compression test will show the condition of your rings & valves.
dockane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Super Convertible Reply with quote

So I drained the engine today and about a gallon of fuel/oil mixture came out. Carb and fuel pump also looked fine. I ran the fuel lines and replaced any that looked iffy. I hand cranked the engine to get the oil mixed through, drained it and refilled. Oil came out clean and good, felt a little wasteful but glad to see just oil coming out. Refilled and jumped in to give her a chance to run but no start. Looked at my gauge and she is empty Sad so I sprayed some starter fluid in the carb and she fired right up. So next step is get a gas can, filler up to then drive to a gas station to top off.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: