Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
There are companies selling replicas of Jaguar "D" types, Cobras, and other exotic cars and commanding decent prices. Obviously not as high as the originals, but if they offer exciting driving experiences and are high quality, they seem to enjoy significant demand. Owners of originals will, I guess, always look down on replicas, but they really are intended for a different market. What gets lost in the arguing is whether you want a car for its investment value or for the joy of driving.

I agree, driving a car...not having it rot away in a museum, cars are meant to be driven not show cased....the worst thing you can do to a car is let it sit and deteriorate.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

I missed the part where anyone told him he wasn’t allowed the drive or enjoy his replica. He seems to be the only one here disparaging his build. I haven’t seen a single person outside of him denegrate it. He seems to be the only one unhappy that he’s being lumped in with us lowlife kit car drivers. Apparently thinks he’s better than us. Prig.

/sarcasm in case anyone truly gets their knickers in a twist over it.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Eric Marshall Green
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

Gee wiz, Carpy, seems you're back. I thought you were out? I guess your word means nothing. A moth to flame, I guess.

VeeWee! Now you are talking sense, brother. I knew there had to be a few human beings left in this fucked up country!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

Yup! Take it out and drive it! That's the only way to keep them running as things deteriorate sitting even in a heated shop.
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

There are over a million cars just sitting in collections some where, these cars are meant to be driven, not treated like a God. ...drive the shit out of it, otherwise it's just a pile of art. ...parts put together to resemble a car, don't give a rats ass if it's a kit car or not. ..the point is that these cars should be driven, not in a coma garage!
Eric Marshall Green
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

VeeWee, two weeks and I'm on a Virgin flight to LAX where the Zen Crow will pick me up and I will see my dream a reality. Although it will be late at night for me coming from Maine, I will probably spend the night blasting that puppy around. Weight 1680. HP? 150 Exhaust? straight pipes. Torque? 160. Need I say more. Oh Brakes? 911 disks. Steering 911 rack and pinion. Gas shocks. And the key. Skinny 165 tires. Those Dutch ones I can't write or pronounce! Starts with Vr. Haven't double clutched or toe heel changed or done a 4-wheel drift in 35 years. Will I remember?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Eric Marshall Green
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

A poem for the few real road guys among the prigs:

HILL CLIMB

For QC if he will have it

When I charged into that great darkness
As a young man, I truly believed everyone cared.
I held that hard thin wheel with such firmness
And even more belief. CHARGED toward whatever
Void could be presented. By God, it was a
Contest of wits, and win or lose,
All I cared about was how
Well I played.

Something in us always turns back to
Look at the setting sun or to embrace that
Bluing of dawn. Has nothing to do with not
Loving the night. The night is off time. No
Pressure, no expectations, we can let it run out
Reluctantly like an iced cooler in the desert.

And no real man drinks warm beer, although
I did once. Kangamangus Highway: “Say it!”
Then drive it on a January night under an APB.
These are the unspoken facts of heroic lives.
This is not the flickering of Hollywood stars
This is us, and we only do it for one thing:
GOD.
Believe it or not.

It takes 18 minutes to chill a warm beer in
Ice. You can use the bag the ice comes in,
You can use motel vending machines for ice,
Don’t need a room card, any card works fine,
However, holding it out the window at speed
No matter how cold it might be outside the car
Only seems to freeze your hand before the beer.
Chill rivers and the Atlantic do not cut it, no idea
What Hemingway was talking about. Maybe wine
Does not need to be that cold to be good on a hot
Day. But you either drink grain or grapes and the
Irish do better with grain. Ever met an Irish wino?

These are things I care about because systems make
Life easier. And when you are a devil fighter you need
Strength, endurance and cleverness to last any distance.

In the mid-1980s I drove 41 hours without stopping. But
As the grumpy woman I rescued will tell you, “You slept for
About an hour.” And she is correct, at dawn in Ontario
I did close my eyes for twenty minutes. Yet Denver to
Northern Vermont with only a short break felt like a record to
Me. I was proud of that. I was proud that I went all the way to
California to rescue her, although we were only just friends.
But she asked me, and I went because she asked me. I drove her
Rambler across the country as she felt she couldn’t make it alone.
Did she ever thank me? Did she reciprocate for my effort? Although
I paid every one of my expenses, she still argued about money.
But now I know I didn’t do it for her.
I did it for the poetry of doing it,
Which again is GOD.
GOD is aesthetics.
GOD is trying the impossible.
GOD is the poetry of belief.
GOD is Travis wailing up
Mount Washington in 5 minutes and 45 seconds.
If he thought about it,
He could not do it.
I know this and I’m sure he does too.
As Nicky said: “If you think,
By then it is too late.”

When I draw, if I become too
Conscious, I get nervous
And then must quit.
Colored pencil will not
Erase, so each mark
Remains. Each mark
Is a testament of
My belief.

Though they have EVERY advantage, the
Wealthy and powerful rarely write great
Novels or paint great pictures or make
Wonderful objects of grace and beauty,
Invent the things that improve the world.
Instead they keep destroying everything they can
In the false name if their self-serving propaganda.
When they say God they mean the DEVIL.
And this is as it is, for our lives are not for
Convenience or safety or luxury or ease.
We are here to understand and be tested,
For in death we will KNOW fully what
We have done and who we were
In her eyes, and she is as
Tough as they come.
Imagine sparring the
Devil for eternity.
So I can only pity
Those who are in such denial
And such deep unhappiness.
Because if you are really wealthy
You will never know who loves you,
And maybe that is why they have
Turned away from love into
Blind greed, the endless
More.

And I will hold the hard thin wheel again,
I will charge across my country again,
Now I am free from worry about
Others. I know who loves me,
And that knowledge transcends
Everything Earthly.

New poem, 2017
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

Wow Shocked that exhaust is a work of art!...a beautiful example of a 356....I'm jealous Very Happy
I wish I could go too Laughing
So, a quick story. ..back in 1990 when I was in the Navy stationed in San Jose CA. I knew a coworker that found a rusted out barn find red 356 coupe. ...picked it up for $1800 bucks, got it road worthy and flipped it 2 weeks later for $25,000 dollars...I was blown away cuz the entire lower portion of the car was cancer rust, large sections of panels gone! ...I just couldn't believe it.

Anyway, you have a beautiful 356...a trophy winner for sure.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

the convertible D is a nice looking version and more practical to drive - I like the over-rider exhaust outlets. looks like einstein's been doodling on the rear bumper too!
Is the tartan linked to your family? your wife is very talented doing that.

Last edited by finster on Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Eric Marshall Green
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

VeeWee, I really like your buggy! Will you paint it?

My frame is all welded steel square beams. Rusted out 356s distort and unless back on the Porsche factory jig can never be right again. They can look okay, but run down the road like a fucking crab. No wonder these prigs drive their cars at 40 miles an hour in a parade. You will NEVER see my 356 in a fucking parking lot with the other fancy 356s or on carefully mowed grass. The only trophy I want is my beautiful wife sucking my wood while I'm doing 110 through the antelope National park! Got to get some stains on those pristine seats.

Yeah. I designed that exhaust, ceramic coated stainless. Everyone said it would be too loud. Can you upload videos here?

Just go to Kelly Harris 356 Porsche on Vimeo. 6 really cool videos. QC was Steve McQueen's great friend. The Q says Steve might have died looking at my image. How cool is that? I just learned this last year. McQueen was the real deal all the way. Love that guy.

This is the image. I did this in 1976 at 19 years old:

Eric Marshall Green
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

Finster, yeah the little notes are funny. Yes, my wife is a brilliant weaver. She simply blows me away. Not only is she beyond gorgeous, but she has two doctorate degrees, weaves, and well, you know! What she sees in this high school drop out is beyond me. She is flying to Las Vegas, renting a Chrysler Challenger Demon, driving across Death Valley at night, and meeting me at the Dow Villa Motel in Lone Pine! Man, I can't wait! It was still 20 fucking degrees in Maine this morning. March will not quit! Still got the fires raging in here.

Wife web site: https://hayfordokiniiri.com

That's our house in the snow.

Amanda with the 1959 Rambler I did for her. Original paint but fresh interior from NOS cloth, and all new systems. Drives like new. She kept saying: "I don't want it, really, I don't it." Then she saw it, drove it—blue flame 6, three on tree. Now she loves it twice as much as me. It's now the cat first, then the Rambler, the five pet squirrels, her new loom, then me. But I'm in the top ten!

Last edited by Eric Marshall Green on Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:34 am; edited 2 times in total
Eric Marshall Green
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

Eric Marshall Green wrote:
Finster, yeah the little notes are funny. Yes, my wife is a brilliant weaver. She simply blows me away. Not only is she beyond gorgeous, but she has two doctorate degrees, weaves, and well, you know! What she sees in this high school drop out is beyond me. She is flying to Las Vegas, renting a Chrysler Challenger Demon, driving across Death Valley at night, and meeting me at the Dow Villa Motel in Lone Pine! Man, I can't wait! It was still 20 fucking degrees in Maine this morning. March will not quit! Still got the fires raging in here.

My bloodline is originally a Scots clan kicked into northern Ireland because we can never get along with alone as you might have noticed, then Maritimes Canada. I was born in norther New Hampshire at the foot of Mount Washington, which I finally get to race up legally for the movie cameras.

I wish I could say the tartan is the Green clan tartan, but the truth is I designed it and Amanda perfected it. But she might register it as a clan tartan. I think it came out really nice. The whole interior is gray, so it needed a wildness of color somewhere. QC nailed the seats! Works of art.

Wife web site: https://hayfordokiniiri.com

That's our house in the snow.
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

Your trophy comment had me laughing my ass off, now that there was FUNNY!

Thank you for the nice comments on my buggy. ..the whole car will get a monsterliner bright green. ..Monstaliner is extremely tough for off road abuse. ..it's not a show car, building it to last and easily serviced...most importantly, I'm going to drive it, show it and enjoy it...I will have the only Fiat baja on the entire planet!...a car built, not bought. ..if I go down and buy a new $25,000 car, in 2 years you owe more than it is worth, and all the fancy electronics will start to be old technology...my car will be worth the same I'll have invested maybe more. ..of course we both know that any car is only worth what someone is willing to pay...I don't ever plan to sell my Fiat but hey, if some yahoo came up to me and offered me $50k...shit man, it's yours, I'll just build me a better one Laughing
Here is the color for the Fiat

joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

VeeWee, I really like your buggy! Will you paint it?

My frame is all welded steel square beams. Rusted out 356s distort and unless back on the Porsche factory jig can never be right again. They can look okay, but run down the road like a fucking crab. No wonder these prigs drive their cars at 40 miles an hour in a parade. You will NEVER see my 356 in a fucking parking lot with the other fancy 356s or on carefully mowed grass. The only trophy I want is my beautiful wife sucking my wood while I'm doing 110 through the antelope National park! Got to get some stains on those pristine seats.

Yeah. I designed that exhaust, ceramic coated stainless. Everyone said it would be too loud. Can you upload videos here?

Just go to Kelly Harris 356 Porsche on Vimeo. 6 really cool videos. QC was Steve McQueen's great friend. The Q says Steve might have died looking at my image. How cool is that? I just learned this last year. McQueen was the real deal all the way. Love that guy.

This is the image. I did this in 1976 at 19 years old:

Wait, you're 60-61yo right now?
Interesting.
Eric Marshall Green
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm 61. Born last month, first day, 1956.

See, I'm bald, old, worn, but the Celtic heart remains.

Eric Marshall Green
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

he Speedster Lunch

I was hungry so I decided to get something to eat. I spotted a fancy looking restaurant called Porsche and figured what the hell, walked in, sat, and after a look at the menu ordered their signature special: The Speedster Lunch a la Hoffmann.
“Very popular choice, sir,” said the waiter and he brought me a lovely looking if thin steak a bit undercooked with one line of mayonnaise on each side.
“There you go, sir! One Speedster Lunch special! Hope you enjoy it.”
I was a bit shocked because he set the steak squarely on the table without a plate, but I overlooked this eccentricity figuring fancy places always did weird shite, but I asked for some utensils and a glass of beer.
“Oh, NO, sir. This is how we always serve it. You know the slogan: It will make a man out of you.”
So, not knowing what else to do, I picked up the steak and had a bite. I admitted it was delicious even if the meat could’ve used a tad more cooking for my taste. I proceeded to eat noticing now that the seat was terribly uncomfortable. Again, I just figured it was part of fancy eccentric restaurants.
Half way through my meat, the waiter hovered. Just to make conversation, I said, “Weather looks like she’s turning a tad inclement.”
At this he looked outside and nodded, “Right you are, sir. Rain is definitely on its way.” And then he proceeded to place a black napkin roughly on my head. Odd as this seemed, the next action was unforgiveable. He poured a pitcher of cold water all over me.
“What the hell?”
“Oh, sir, all part of the Speedster lunch, but no concerns, we don’t charge extra for it.”
Really annoyed now, I asked for the bill: it was double the price of any other meal on Porsche’s menu.
“This is ridiculous!”
“But, sir, this meal was a favorite of many Hollywood celebrities.”
“Even so, why is it so damn expensive?”
“The rareness, sir. Just be glad you did not order the Speedster Lunch a la Barn Find. Those are just as expensive but we allow a rabid dog to chew on most of the meat before it’s served. Don’t tell I told you, but they are ugly looking things.”
I exited, walked down the street and had a grilled cheese and a cold beer at a cheap counter-style joint. It tasted wonderful. They even gave me a napkin to dry my hair.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm 61. Born last month, first day, 1956.

See, I'm bald, old, worn, but the Celtic heart remains.

Wait! You mean this isn't a picture of Richard Rawlings??? Sad

Very Happy

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
bill brown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

You got it SBD!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
356pre-a
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

and here i am expecting a background with a house full of 356 art and all i see is baguettes and flowers. Rolling Eyes
Eric Marshall Green
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

Where do you see baguettes?

A baguette (/bæˈɡɛt/; French: [baˈɡɛt]) is a long, thin loaf of French bread[2] that is commonly made from basic lean dough (the dough, though not the shape, is defined by French law). It is distinguishable by its length and crisp crust.

I had to google Rawlings. He's much younger than I am, also much more handsome. Seems like a good guy. Is he?

I rarely hand my own art. My gallery sells it. Otherwise I couldn't support my car habit. But my wife says I cannot buy any more cars this year!

This is my daily driver:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: