Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

85 westy weekender automatic vs standard trans?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skelly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: 85 westy weekender automatic vs standard trans? Reply with quote

Hey guys. This will be my first post and my first westy (if all goes well). I'm looking at a 1985 westy weekender that has a 3 speed automatic transmission and a GoWesty 2.2L rebuild (40K on it). The owner now drives it as his daily driver and it seems to run great. Since most are standards, I'm curious what you all think about buying an automatic trans vs standard. This is our Honeymoon vehicle so my Fiance will be happy its an automatic (or will she?) and I am fine either way. I just want to check with the Samba community before I buy it, in case there's something I don't know about the automatics that I should. Thanks!
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 westy weekender automatic vs standard trans? Reply with quote

I would not be put off by an automatic. This automatic was used for years in many vw and Audi vehicles. They can be very reliable and a pleasure that drive.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 westy weekender automatic vs standard trans? Reply with quote

Use the google search in the upper right to search for Vanagon auto and you’ll find several threads where auto owners go on and on about how much they love their auto transmissions.

I never would have considered one but after reading so many positive comments I now wonder what I’m missing. Very Happy

While you’re at it, go to the Vanagon FAQs here to read about PPis and what to look for (if you haven’t already). Regardless, the transmission type is well down on the list of things to worry about.

Feel free to ask other questions about the van you’re looking at.

Enjoy.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 westy weekender automatic vs standard trans? Reply with quote

I've owned several vanagons. Most were manuals. The last two have been automatics. The automatic with the stock 1.9 WBX is quite gutless. With a more powerful engine (in your case a 2.2 GW engine) it is a real joy to drive. I think that any other vanagons that I purchase will be automatics.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: 85 westy weekender automatic vs standard trans? Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
The automatic with the stock 1.9 WBX is quite gutless

I have a stock 1.9 with an auto and it is fine, it is only gutless when you hit a decent hill
Eric_Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: 85 westy weekender automatic vs standard trans? Reply with quote

I have a 91 Westy with a stock 2.1 motor and an automatic. I don't know that I would have sought one out, but this was just the right van so i've got it. I'm very happy with it. It's easy to drive, smooth, and I don't find it kills power, you just have to know how to drive it. These vans are slow regardless of what trans you have. I think the auto combined with the GW 2.2 sounds like a nice setup and I'd go for it if you like the van.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: 85 westy weekender automatic vs standard trans? Reply with quote

My wife can drive the stick but would defiantly prefer an auto. I think about it as well when I'm in stop and go traffic.

If I were to buy another, it would probably be an auto
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: 85 westy weekender automatic vs standard trans? Reply with quote

Before we bought our '90, we rented westy's 2-3 times a year. They were always with a stick. Then the wife laid the law down and said "If you want me to drive one of these vans up & down the very hilly Van Ness ave in San Francisco, it's got to have an automatic. So the last one we rented was yes, with an automatic. OMG!

We never looked back. She loves driving our rig (when I let her Razz ) Now I can steer with one hand and wave to the hippie chicks...er drink my coffee, with the other hand.

Go auto!!

Craig
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: 85 westy weekender automatic vs standard trans? Reply with quote

i have a thread around here where i asked the same question and having had the auto for a few years, i love it. our van is a cruiser, never would be fast anyway so auto is better for long drives. also...CRUISE CONTROL. after driving 500+ miles yesterday i am convinced CC is the best thing that ever happened to cars. get up to 65, punch the button, kick your sandals off and think about nice things while you drive.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: 85 westy weekender automatic vs standard trans? Reply with quote

One other item that hasn't been mentioned is that the automatics take a big hit in fuel economy. If you look in the fuel economy thread you will see that they get ~25% worse fuel economy than similar vans with manual transmissions.

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
?Waldo? wrote:

I have a stock 1.9 with an auto and it is fine, it is only gutless when you hit a decent hill

I'm very familiar with how they perform. I think it's great that you are satisfied with the performance of your van but I think that perspective is not how most would feel about the 1.9WBX and automatic trans combo. Regardless, the OP states that the van they are looking at has a 2.2 GoWesty engine installed which is a decent bump up from a 1.9WBX.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 westy weekender automatic vs standard trans? Reply with quote

Since i live in a small town, were it me, when the time came, id be curious if overall, id stand a better chance of getting an automatic transaxle rebuilt locally VS a manual. But then maybe the auto tranny tech is so old, itd be a "wash" in terms of finding a tech to rebuild either.

From my POV, [edit: with buying a rebuilt tranny, having it shipped then installed, ]its potential warranty issues that would be the real PITA.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 westy weekender automatic vs standard trans? Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
One other item that hasn't been mentioned is that the automatics take a big hit in fuel economy. If you look in the fuel economy thread you will see that they get ~25% worse fuel economy than similar vans with manual transmissions.

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
?Waldo? wrote:

I'm very familiar with how they perform. I think it's great that you are satisfied with the performance of your van but I think that perspective is not how most would feel about the 1.9WBX and automatic trans combo. Regardless, the OP states that the van they are looking at has a 2.2 GoWesty engine installed which is a decent bump up from a 1.9WBX.

Condescending - "having or showing an attitude of patronizing superiority"
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 westy weekender automatic vs standard trans? Reply with quote

I can't comprehend where you get off. There was nothing at all in my post that was remotely condescending or patronizing. Your post suggested that what I had said previously was incorrect. I disagreed in a kind and respectful manner. I happen to own an '85 Automatic Adventurewagen that had a fine running 1.9 WBX up until a couple weeks ago when i started pulling it for a TDI swap because it was seriously gutless. I think there are very few who would find it an adequately powered vehicle. I have no idea why you would turn that into a personal attack on me. Completely bizarre.

I guess anything can be taken the wrong way if you try hard enough.

"You look nice today."
"Shut up you asshole, you're saying I usually look bad."
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 westy weekender automatic vs standard trans? Reply with quote

Quote:
25% worse fuel economy than similar vans with manual transmissions.

This is not true. Our 1.9 Auto gets about 18-20 mpg. That would mean that others in the manual are getting 23-25mpg -- that ain't the case.

So, since I have one and run it -- I never looked for an auto van, but the right one came up and we have been very pleased for quite a while. Loads of shifting needed in these underpowered beasts.

I have a 1.9 Auto and have many miles driven in a manual Auto and they are both about the same in the hills. Up any hill of real size that is. They could both use more power -- to say that the auto is gutless is to say the manual is not or is a major advantage, that is not my experience at all. But you need to know how to drive them and sometimes it's best to select a lower gear up a big hill in the auto.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 westy weekender automatic vs standard trans? Reply with quote

I was just driving a '90 MV with a RJE 2.3L/auto combo today and it's just a joy to behold. This is especially true when compared to the manual in my van. As soon as I can afford it, I'm converting mine from manual to auto.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 westy weekender automatic vs standard trans? Reply with quote

oceanair wrote:
Quote:
25% worse fuel economy than similar vans with manual transmissions.

This is not true. Our 1.9 Auto gets about 18-20 mpg. That would mean that others in the manual are getting 23-25mpg -- that ain't the case.

That's a bit of a mis-quote when you delete the ~.

I might be overstating the difference. I haven't ever done the transmission swap from one to the other in order to establish a true apples to apples comparison.

I recall a graph of the fuel economy of a bunch of different vans stating what engine and what transmission. I did some searching but did not come up with it. Does anyone have a link?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 westy weekender automatic vs standard trans? Reply with quote

To be clear, I am not trying to dissuade anyone from the vanagon automatics. At this point I prefer them. I am just attempting to present as objectively as I can what I have seen as upsides/downsides based on owning quite a few manual and automatic vanagons that were both tin tops and full campers and having worked on quite a few others.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 westy weekender automatic vs standard trans? Reply with quote

I have seen so much more positive towards the automatic than negative. If there were ever an automatic option for the syncro I would automatically jump the manual ship with zeitgeist.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 westy weekender automatic vs standard trans? Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
I did some searching but did not come up with it. Does anyone have a link?

A quick search netted this. . .
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=577788

After just getting into it it's clear that the auto does reduce mileage considerably. Many of these vehicles have been so modified though, it gets pretty muddy.

The OP in the linked post above starts out by saying he's running "13 mpg city, 18-ish highway".

While I'm sure that doesn't represent all AT Vanagons, I think I'll stick with my stick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 westy weekender automatic vs standard trans? Reply with quote

oceanair wrote:

Agree, I get similar mileage. I think Waldo thinks that because his 1.9 auto was worn out and was gutless and gave poor mileage that they all must be, which ain't necessarily the case.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: