Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.1 Dj wbx cam on stock 1.6 dp
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: 2.1 Dj wbx cam on stock 1.6 dp Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I'm rebuilding my tired 1.6 dp engine from my 73 superbeetle and the cam gear is worn. I have a spare 2.1 dj cam and I'm thinking to put it on the engine. I'm going to put the 26mm wbx oil pump too.

Other than this, the engine is going to run stock, I'ts going to be a temporal engine because I want to build something bigger (like a type 4) but I need running this engine as soon as possible with the less expense, that's why I thought this setup.

What do you think? Maybe I can put a bugpack header that I have, just I'm not sure where it is Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 Dj wbx cam on stock 1.6 dp Reply with quote

Although the wasser cam has more lobe heigh (1mm taller) and more duration, both cams look exactly the same.

Do my stock pushrods and rockers work well without modifications? I don't want to cut and adjust the pushrods.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 Dj wbx cam on stock 1.6 dp Reply with quote

Albertoprop17 wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm rebuilding my tired 1.6 dp engine from my 73 superbeetle and the cam gear is worn. I have a spare 2.1 dj cam and I'm thinking to put it on the engine. I'm going to put the 26mm wbx oil pump too.

Other than this, the engine is going to run stock, I'ts going to be a temporal engine because I want to build something bigger (like a type 4) but I need running this engine as soon as possible with the less expense, that's why I thought this setup.

What do you think? Maybe I can put a bugpack header that I have, just I'm not sure where it is Rolling Eyes

The 2.1 cam is a hydraulic cam. It has more lift than a stock 1.6 solid cam. It should work fine.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 Dj wbx cam on stock 1.6 dp Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
The 2.1 cam is a hydraulic cam. It has more lift than a stock 1.6 solid cam. It should work fine.

I apologize if this is an ignorant question, but could the hydro cam be used with solid lifters? That would be a cool, cheap slight upgrade.

H2OSB
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 Dj wbx cam on stock 1.6 dp Reply with quote

I'd be concerned about the lobe taper meshing properly with the lifters. Do you need a used stock cam? I have some.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 Dj wbx cam on stock 1.6 dp Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
I'd be concerned about the lobe taper meshing properly with the lifters. Do you need a used stock cam? I have some.

That will not have any negative effect at all. Do you know what the difference is between a hydraulic grind cam and a solid lifter grind cam?

www.mofoco.com

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 Dj wbx cam on stock 1.6 dp Reply with quote

Oh, cool! So he'll get a nice, free, tiny upgrade.

I, myself don't need any stock cams. I'm building a 1911cc T4 with a Web 86a. That said, I've always been intrigued by cross overs available betwixt the T1 and Wasserboxer. Would love to build either a 1915 T1 with 1.9 Wasser crank, OR a 2110 Oxyboxer, but either of those would require something free to drop into my lap...I'm too cheap to buy the donors needed for either build, much less the machine work needed for a Oxyboxer.

H2OSB
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 Dj wbx cam on stock 1.6 dp Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I'm going to use the wasser cam, it will give the engine a bit of power and torque, just the little touch that benefits a daily driver.

So I don't need to touch the rocker geometry, right?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 Dj wbx cam on stock 1.6 dp Reply with quote

Albertoprop17 wrote:
Thanks guys, I'm going to use the wasser cam, it will give the engine a bit of power and torque, just the little touch that benefits a daily driver.

So I don't need to touch the rocker geometry, right?

Anytime you change the cam, you need to check but all other things being equal, it should stay the same.

www.mofoco.com

bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 Dj wbx cam on stock 1.6 dp Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
bugguy1967 wrote:

That will not have any negative effect at all. Do you know what the difference is between a hydraulic grind cam and a solid lifter grind cam?

No. What is it?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 Dj wbx cam on stock 1.6 dp Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
bugguy1967 wrote:

No. What is it?

Then I am really confused with your comment on the lobe taper. What are you talking about if you don't know the difference between a solid cam and a hydraulic cam?

www.mofoco.com

bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 Dj wbx cam on stock 1.6 dp Reply with quote

I meant the convex shape of the lobe which promotes spin to the lifter. If it's the same, then great. So what is the difference between a solid and hydraulic lifter? I've never held either the cam or a hydraulic lifter in my hand. I can only assume the hydraulic cam has a higher flank-acceleration rate.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 Dj wbx cam on stock 1.6 dp Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
I meant the convex shape of the lobe which promotes spin to the lifter. If it's the same, then great. So what is the difference between a solid and hydraulic lifter? I've never held either the cam or a hydraulic lifter in my hand. I can only assume the hydraulic cam has a higher flank-acceleration rate.

Why would the lobe shape be any different? The lifter face on a hydraulic lifter is exactly the same as a solid lifter. In fact, Mofoco is the only company in the world that makes hydraulic lifters using stock solid VW lifter bodies.

The difference in a hydraulic grind cam is the ramp has a more gentle slope to it.

www.mofoco.com

H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 Dj wbx cam on stock 1.6 dp Reply with quote

Wow, then it actually sounds like the WBX cam would work nicely as a very mild upgrade.

Lucky (to O.P.)! I don't think I would seek one out if I were doing a refresh of a stock 1600DP, but if I had one on hand, like the O.P., I'd run it!

H2OSB
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 Dj wbx cam on stock 1.6 dp Reply with quote

Now I remember that I have a pair of 36 dcnf's, maybe I put them properly jetted with an engle 110 or similar cam and the spare header I have, but he wbx cam is still in my mind if I don't run dual carbs
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 Dj wbx cam on stock 1.6 dp Reply with quote

I don't know why, but I just think it would be ultra cool to run that cam. Can't wait to hear how it goes for you.

H2OSB
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 Dj wbx cam on stock 1.6 dp Reply with quote

A dj cam with solid lifters will work. Dont expect any significant power increase, or torque for that matter. But it will rev higher. The dj cam is ground on 110 lc and in a way so that the engine needs to have some static compression for it to perform. When you look at the numbers it looks "aggressive" but the measures are at 0,39". Also When you swop from hyd to solid lifters you take approx 20 degrees out of the running duration.

Some cams for mechanical lifters work ok to fine with hyd lifters. But not all. Next problem is that many cams are rather inaccurate, and that is really bad if you use hydraulic lifters. Then they can not control the closing time properly, which results in uneven behaviure, loss of power and bad fuel economy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 Dj wbx cam on stock 1.6 dp Reply with quote

I really just look at it as a stock cam+. Like I said before, I'd not seek it out if I were doing a stock engine refresh, but if I had one on hand, why not...

H2OSB
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 Dj wbx cam on stock 1.6 dp Reply with quote

Well, I decided to run the dj cam on the engine, everything else stock.

I removed the chamber shims, 0.5 or 1 mm thick, I don't remember it now. This will raise the cr a bit, this will help the engine happiness Laughing

Maybe I put a rare Nikki carb and a header on it...
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 Dj wbx cam on stock 1.6 dp Reply with quote

I've built the engine with the dj cam and it has covered about 1000km with no issues. It's running with a 30/31 carb and a stock exhaust, and it has better response than a stock engine with a 34.

I will rebuild the 34 pict 3 and put a 4-1 header with a bugpack turbo muffler to see how it performs, I'm sure that it will come up with these bolt ons

Visit my workshop site and leave a like:

https://www.facebook.com/talleresalacreu/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: