Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway.
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:31 am    Post subject: What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway. Reply with quote

Unloaded a bunch of items from my April 61 deluxe yesterday. Nice to have the arm chair in the living room. It has been since mid September since I started or drove it, when I drove it south from Washington. The bus has just been parked by the barn. I wanted to get a tall ladder, and the 9 foot hwe rack on the 15 is the ticket. Didn’t unload the garage stereo (with eight track player) and speaker wires.

On the way to Home Depot there was a bit of stuttering or hesitation on the freeway. I thought it odd since that was not usual. And only about 130 miles since filling the tank. Pulled reserve Anyway. Seemed to stop the hesitation.
On the way back, with ladder on rack, I pushed reserve back in anyway. Didn’t seem to affect anything. A few miles later, right before my exit, the hesitation came back. In fact, the engine shut off. I coasted onto the shoulder into the shade of a eucalyptus tree. I smelled something. Smoke? Electrical? Oil temp was 200 F shortly before it stalled. Was cruising about 60-65. 1600sp with big nut tranny. Upper seventies out.
Greg opened the engine lid. No engine smoke. Engine is not hot, looks normal. I looked at the fuses, nothing odd. Looked under the dash. Didn’t see anything odd, except clutter on the tray. And actually the wiring is not pristine.
Honestly, I hadn’t looked at the wiring since the nineties. Some PO did put some hackage under there. But honestly, it worked, and I’d put many miles on the bus without issues. Just not much recently. Felt around. Are there any loose wires? Possibly the headlight switch red wire wAs warm. The white with black stripes wire was cool. one of the ignition switch terminals was warm. I could see which one, it’s a little tight under there.

Starter turned with key, but the engine did not catch. found a test light in my toolbox, the right most fuse was hot, but with key on no other fuse was hot. Hm. Iirc the second fuse should be hot with key on. Asked Greg to check for hot at coil with ignition on. Noticed that the dash lights sometimes did not come on with key on. And smelled some electrical smell with key on, so shut key off.

What did we do to get home?
Tizian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway. Reply with quote

Clara,

seems like your ignition switch died... Sad

But that's just a remote guess from across the pond.

Olli
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway. Reply with quote

is this a riddle? Smile

In my case I found that the contact switch tends to develop an eroded pit at the contact point as can be seen here (this is a ghia switch)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It can be easily repaired with epoxy glue.

however I don't see a clear relation between this and a hesitating engine.
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway. Reply with quote

Clara, Are you moving from Washington?
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway. Reply with quote

Fuel, air and spark are the three things an engine needs to run. Spark is the most frequent culprit.

Did you hotwire the bus and drive it home?
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway. Reply with quote

just a hunch but I'm going to guess you ran a wire from the battery to the coil since power to the coil was no good?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway. Reply with quote

iamdonquixote wrote:
just a hunch but I'm going to guess you ran a wire from the battery to the coil since power to the coil was no good?

Run the wire from a tail or the tag light and you can turn it off with the light switch....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway. Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
iamdonquixote wrote:

Run the wire from a tail or the tag light and you can turn it off with the light switch....

this

unfortunately, also how to steal a vw...
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway. Reply with quote

By pass the ignition switch.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Tizian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway. Reply with quote

Propably the speaker wires did help...
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway. Reply with quote

WTF is a freeway?

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway. Reply with quote

Yes, moving to California.

And yes it’s a riddle. Smile

It did seem like the ignition switch died, so I ran a speaker wire from the battery to the coil. Using the taillight would have been a good idea, it if I have to do it again I’ll keep that in mind.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway. Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
WTF is a freeway?

It’s a road paid for by others.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway. Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
StockNazi wrote:
WTF is a freeway?

Smile

Expressway here in the south.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway. Reply with quote

"What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway."

Clara's title to this thread kinda cracks me up! I keep imagining a "Dateline" TV expose on a highway disaster and how a Split Bus could have been involved.

LOL

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway. Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
StockNazi wrote:
WTF is a freeway?

"Others"? Check out what taxes are on gas and registration in California for road repairs and construction. If you live here, YOU pay for the roads.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway. Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Abscate wrote:
StockNazi wrote:
WTF is a freeway?
"Others"? Check out what taxes are on gas and registration in California for road repairs and construction. If you live here, YOU pay for the roads.
I don't live there, but I still pay on the tollways if I want to cross bridges in the bay area. Not that I really have a problem paying for the roads and bridges, etc.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway. Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
crofty wrote:
Abscate wrote:
StockNazi wrote:
WTF is a freeway?
I don't live there, but I still pay on the tollways if I want to cross bridges in the bay area. Not that I really have a problem paying for the roads and bridges, etc.

That goes to it from what ive been told but we have some of the worse roads in the US so go figure.
Today we can vote to repeal the tax that went into effect a few years back and raised my reg fees an additional +$100.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway. Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
"What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway."

Clara's title to this thread kinda cracks me up! I keep imagining a "Dateline" TV expose on a highway disaster and how a Split Bus could have been involved.

LOL

Bill

I would be surprised it that wasn’t intentional.

You should always include your children when baking cookies.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway. Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
Yes, moving to California.

Exclamation Question
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: