Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Numerical White Stamp Markings on Fan Shroud
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
elmer.feick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Numerical White Stamp Markings on Fan Shroud Reply with quote

Does anyone know what the numbered white stamp marks on the front of the fan shroud mean???? I have a 158 numerical stamp on the front / facing side of the fan shroud and could not find its meaning....

I also searched other Ghia's for sale with their engine bay open and found other fan shrouds marked the same...I did find one marked EA 364 which was a late '74

Could it perhaps be an inspector's stamp???? Not sure....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by elmer.feick on Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Burman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Numerical White Stamp Markings on Fan Shroud Reply with quote

That is an M-code telling specs. of the engine. Excaust control system maybe?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elmer.feick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Numerical White Stamp Markings on Fan Shroud Reply with quote

So I looked up the M-Code on the Samba site for Ghia's and there was no 158 on the chart....for Type I's however, 158 represents cloth upholstery....
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Numerical White Stamp Markings on Fan Shroud Reply with quote

I noticed that too but check out M code 157 for Ghias, I bet it's something very similar to that.

One entry from 157
44 bhp engine - 53 SAE with exhaust control system, with activated carbon container for absorbing fuel vapor
from Chassis No. 148 000 001 up to 149 1200 000
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Numerical White Stamp Markings on Fan Shroud Reply with quote

"I O"marking is the German equivalent of "OK"...
The 158 has me baffled..the engine assembler certainly didn't care what upholstery the car had.. Across all tech archives ( type 1 through 14) is 157.
I even dug out an old Type 181 book I have and it's the same for all..Emission control system(S)...carbon canister etc.

Maybe o'l Hanz had a few too many schnapps the night before?
These numbers can usually be found on the back (front) of the shroud as well..
Can you get a peek behind? maybe with a mirror? What engine number is this one?

Edit..also this stenciled number should have the number 14 ahead of it if it were original to the Ghia
'56 Oval-The Turd (for now)
elmer.feick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Numerical White Stamp Markings on Fan Shroud Reply with quote

I did find the number 158 on the back side as well....my engine number is: AE595340

The other making was a "LO" on the fan not "IO"...part of the lettering was blocked by the transfer tube....

I sure would like to know what these stampings mean...it's starting to drive me crazy not knowing...
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Numerical White Stamp Markings on Fan Shroud Reply with quote

elmer.feick wrote:
I did find the number 158 on the back side as well....my engine number is: AE595340

The other making was a "LO" on the fan not "IO"...part of the lettering was blocked by the transfer tube....

I sure would like to know what these stampings mean...it's starting to drive me crazy not knowing...

Strange for sure..Your engine case number aligns with post August 1972.. meaning a 1973 model..but this is for type1 beetle..according to archived info here, the Ghia engines had the letter 0 after the AE.. and that rolls into the 1973 model..( I have only in my life seen one numbers
matching engine to a Ghia but that was a late '60s model H0 number) so I've never seen a "AE 0 xxxxxx" case...

I did mention earlier that I've seen Ghia shrouds with the 14 157 on it..

Maybe it's possible that a previous owner painted the shroud after an engine swap and picked those numbers and letters to paint back on for posterity..albeit with no real meaning? ( that "LO" instead of "IO" makes no sense either)
'56 Oval-The Turd (for now)
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Numerical White Stamp Markings on Fan Shroud Reply with quote

As pointed out by Everett, these numbers were equipment designations used by the factory to make sure that certain types of engines made their way into the correct vehicles.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!
elmer.feick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Numerical White Stamp Markings on Fan Shroud Reply with quote

Thanks to all who responded....I think I'll put this to rest....the engine is original, not a swap out....and the vehicle is registered as a 72'....I do want to keep the vehicle as original as possible and that is where this quest for knowledge all started
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Numerical White Stamp Markings on Fan Shroud Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/engine_letters.php

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Numerical White Stamp Markings on Fan Shroud Reply with quote

When I researched these for my 71 beetle vert, I found that they were marked with the following markings

1. Type - for Typ another than beetle - I.e engines going into KG were marked 14, into beetle verts were marked 15. Probably to distinguish those that were designated to be sent to Karmann.

2. Engine size - mine was marked 1.6. Not sure if all engines were marked or just the S (1600) code engines to differentiate from the similar looking 1300.

3. M-codes related to engine. Mine was marked m-240. Iíve seen others marked with US emission related codes.

4. I.O. Marking. This OK symbol seemed freehand with more variation (may explain why the I looks like an L for OP)
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: