Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wolfsburg West side window seal issue
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject: Wolfsburg West side window seal issue Reply with quote

Has anyone had issues with WW side window seals? Specifically the camper (no chrome) passenger's side, rear, no vent window (I know it's the same as the middle).

I'm helping a buddy with new seals and this one is not even close to working. Honestly feels like it's too big. When it's fully around the glass there is still a bunch of slack and the rubber keeps popping off the glass in multiple spots. I've done several of these with no issues. We even did the rear window in 10 minutes and it was a breeze like usual. Fought the side window for over an hour with no luck. Only thing I can think is bad seal.

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West side window seal issue Reply with quote

Every seal I've used from WW (including side windows) has been perfect. Are you sure it's the right seal for that window?
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a1steaksauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West side window seal issue Reply with quote

You have the sticker with the part number on it still? I’d double check that first.

I replaced the window seal in the exact same location with a WW seal and it fit fantastic. A couple of months later I deleted the wing window on the drivers rear and installed the larger glass, again with WW seal and had zero issues.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West side window seal issue Reply with quote

We double and triple checked the label and packing list. Those say it's the correct one. I'm not sure what seal it could be swapped with? Every site I've checked sells the same seal for all side (non-vent) windows. I think the hatch window is the closest, but it's quite a bit smaller (relatively).

Anyone know the diameter the seal should be? I know it's tough to measure, and I feel like if it's off even a tiny bit it will effect the fit.

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West side window seal issue Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about the window seal difficulty, Bala.
A couple weeks ago, Robbie showed me how to replace one of my rear, side windows using a WW seal. He mentioned it was a little bit loose, (we had to hold it in place around the window while installing it to keep it from falling off), but we were still able to get it in okay. Now that it's in, the fit is great.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West side window seal issue Reply with quote

The rear and middle windows don’t take the same seal.

Middle windows are 221 845 321A and rear windows are 224 845 341. This is for non-deluxe rubber with no vent windows.

Yes, the last WW rear window seal Kent and I did “felt” too big on the glass, but installed perfectly. This was the 341 part number.

Robbie

Last edited by airschooled on Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West side window seal issue Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Sorry to hear about the window seal difficulty, Bala.
A couple weeks ago, Robbie showed me how to replace one of my rear, side windows using a WW seal. He mentioned it was a little bit loose, (we had to hold it in place around the window while installing it to keep it from falling off), but we were still able to get it in okay. Now that it's in, the fit is great.

Thanks, never had this much trouble with a seal.
We tried that too. Still the seal was way too loose. Popped off the glass all over the place. Sad

1966 Beetle
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West side window seal issue Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
The rear and middle windows don’t take the same seal!

Middle windows are 221 845 321A and rear windows are 224 845 341. This is for non-deluxe rubber with no vent windows.

Yes, the last WW rear window seal Kent and I did “felt” too big on the glass, but installed perfectly. This was the 341 part number.

Robbie

The invoice shows the 321 as "CENTER OR REAR". Looks like WW shipped the wrong seal and might need to get their descriptions straight. Call in order, so they should have know what part to ship.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Oh well, my buddy ordered the correct "German" seal from another vendor.

Thanks all!

1966 Beetle
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West side window seal issue Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
The rear and middle windows don’t take the same seal!
Robbie

I see WW offers the 2 different seals for those windows, but West Coast Metric shows the same seal for both. I realize that isn't the brand the OP is using, but the size of the seals must be at least very close to the same if that's the case. It shows different part numbers for the seals that take the deluxe chrome trim, but not for the Cal Look seal like the OP is using.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West side window seal issue Reply with quote

Huh, that’s interesting. Perhaps give them a call and ask?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elcoqui
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West side window seal issue Reply with quote

I had the same issue with mine... and came to find out "or at least" this is what worked for me was to re-grind all the old bondo around the gasket perimeter, and notice all around it had way to thick of a coat... I slimmed it down, and the glass went in...no trouble.... just my 5cents.....

Coquí is the common name for several species of small frogs in the genus Eleutherodactylus native to Puerto Rico. The common name coqui is due to the sound they make at night.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West side window seal issue Reply with quote

I also noticed the WW says that their seal is for "left or right". The original seals are not symmetrical like that -- they are mirror images of another shape.

How do they think that left and right seals would be the same? Have people actually got the same seal to work on left and right?
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West side window seal issue Reply with quote

For other vendor reference, the part number for the side window seals I purchased from Bus Depot were the same for all 4 side windows on the 78.
Including the center side aluminum frame sliders.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a1steaksauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West side window seal issue Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
How do they think that left and right seals would be the same? Have people actually got the same seal to work on left and right?

For the two rear most windows on the sides? Yes, I have using WW seals.

And as a matter of fact I got a piece of glass from a donor 73 that came off the passenger rear window and I installed it on the drivers side rear window location on my 69 without issue. I didn’t want that vent wing window so that’s how I deleted it.

Those two rear most side window openings are the same size.
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West side window seal issue Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
I also noticed the WW says that their seal is for "left or right". The original seals are not symmetrical like that -- they are mirror images of another shape.

I just re did mine and can honestly say I struggled with one, switched sides with it and it went right in. I always assumed they were exactly the same on both sides. Are they not?

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West side window seal issue Reply with quote

I'm having some problems with my rear sides. For my 69 deluxe I ordered one rear without vent wing, and one rear with vent wing from WW in November. Reusing my original vent wing since it is in great condition. Reusing my deluxe chrome, also mint original German. I delivered my engine-less bus on a tow dolly to my decades long trusted nearby glass installer. After a few days he called to say he had the whole shop working on the installation only to give up and surrender claiming the seal was too thick. I was able to get into another glass shop, farther away but highly reputable. Rented a tow dolly again and delivered the bus this afternoon. Same result - whole staff on the project.

Each shop phoned WW at my request who really didn't have much to say about the situation. I returned home, returned the dolly, called WW. I discussed the situation with staff. I'm out $100 in seals and $100 in tow dolly rentals. I tried to talk staff into a returned item. Deal is one of the staff is installing a deluxe rear window and will try one of my seals on his deluxe window installation next week.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West side window seal issue Reply with quote

unless something went bad, i use the WW seals without issue. in fact, i prefer them.

usually you have to stretch the fuck out of them to get them on the glass.

when i did my deluxe it took me almost a week of nights installing the chrome trim. it is an epic pain in the ass to get it fully seated and your thumbs will be just about ready to fall the fuck off when you're done

are they installing the trim into the seal? it's wicked tedious and i honestly couldn't imagine having to pay someone to do it. it's an ez hour or so per window to do.

that said, which window are they having an issue with, all of them or the one with the vent window? if it's the one with the vent window it's a bit of a pain to get in and i leave the vertical part till last when roping it in.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
stevo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West side window seal issue Reply with quote

The crew at the first shop placed each seal on the glass panels, then installed the chrome trim before attempting the install on the bus. Or they installed the chrome first then the seal onto the glass. I was not there. But they were not trying to put the chrome on afterwards. The second shop had all that done ahead of time for them. Still no luck. At the second shop I had the chance to watch because they were cool enough to work on the bus while it was still on the dolly. They really slugged it out they way the first shop described. I too am a huge fan of WW products. Their deluxe windshield seal went in easily last week on the bus in question, done by the first shop.

When I cannot get NOS German, I use WW. After that it appears to be a huge drop off which is why I'm writing - to see whether others found difficulty, or heard of complaints that the seal was "too thick".
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West side window seal issue Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
...which window are they having an issue with ...

I'd like to know this also. If they are having an issue with the fixed portion of the vent/fixed window combo, that's a lot different than having an issue with the full length fixed window. The fixed glass with the vent is a really tough job, proabably the most challenging job on a Bay Bus when doing glass installation. Adding Deluxe trim only makes the challenge greater. If the Bus has been painted, probably worse again.

I'd also wonder about Stevo's comment about "using the original chrome trims" playing a part in this. What do the original trims of a '69 deluxe look like? Are they anodized aluminum? Is it possible the cross section of the aluminum trims is different (larger?) than the more typical extruded plastic Deluxe rubber trim? A (laborious for sure) way to test this would be to try installing the windows with the same seals but without the trims in the seals.

The hardest part of the vent/fixed combo is getting the vertical part of the fixed glass to move inward enough to get past vertical part of the vent assembly. Another test you might do is install the fixed portion without the vent installed and it might tell you something about why it's proving so difficult, where the hang-up is originating.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West side window seal issue Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:

I'd also wonder about Stevo's comment about "using the original chrome trims" playing a part in this. What do the original trims of a '69 deluxe look like? Are they anodized aluminum?

yes, it would be the aluminum trim. it's a C shaped trim and honestly it's a bitch to get it in. it seats DEEP into the seal.

i don't see how that would have any bearing on fitting the window as it's on the outer lip.

it's hard to describe how i do the fixed glass with the vent window but you have to 100% make sure you shove that vent ALL the way in.

then i pull the rope to the rear and finish at the vertical bar. while doing that, the seal stands proud a bit before it gets sucked in and i have someone shove the window rearward as i do the pull.

honestly, it's not that bad. i will be sad to find out if it is a WW seal issue as they were my go to in the past

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: