Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do I know which wheel bearings to get?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: How do I know which wheel bearings to get? Reply with quote

I've got a tube frame bug, link pin front end with drums. It has the old ball bearing type bearings now if that means anything.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I know which wheel bearings to get? Reply with quote

Sounds like you just need to get 64/older bearings then. Once upon a time the roller bearings were expensive and hard to come by, and ball bearings cheap and plentiful. Now days, that's flipped around totally.

Do you need to change them? Properly maintained and adjusted, those bearings have a long lifespan.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: How do I know which wheel bearings to get? Reply with quote

Link pin includes 1965 model year. 1966 got ball joint front end.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: How do I know which wheel bearings to get? Reply with quote

The previous owner didn't take care of them, they even forced the left side bearing retainer nut to turn right hand effing up the threads and causing the nut to just spin. I did get it apart and the bearing was bone dry and rusty so I'm going to replace everything on both sides.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I know which wheel bearings to get? Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Link pin includes 1965 model year. 1966 got ball joint front end.

Yes, that was a typo on my part. Brick wall

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I know which wheel bearings to get? Reply with quote

Autozone is a distributor of Timken brand bearings. Good stuff. Pick a year, any year for a link pin beam, say 1963. They will pull it up for you. Not that expensive, but good stuff. They are tapered roller bearings, not ball bearings. This is a good thing for off road. More robust, and a direct swap.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: