Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Moving up to New Hampshire
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving up to New Hampshire Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
Ya, they take rust pretty seriously though..

What? I figured live free or die included stopping a bus with your feet through the floor boards!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving up to New Hampshire Reply with quote

Technically I think you can't have any holes in the body. My place gives me some leeway though because I'm always working on the thing.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving up to New Hampshire Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
Technically I think you can't have any holes in the body. My place gives me some leeway though because I'm always working on the thing.

Correct, though since it is pre-obd2, most places will give a cursory walk around (lights, brakes, horn, wipers) and call it good since it is exempt in the computer.

Turbod16v wrote:

Property Taxes are absurd!
registering vehicles was a percentage of MSRP when new!!
so my f150 and my wifes rogue cost over $300 EACH to register!

and anything older than 10 years is $75, unlike in Maine where it is still a percentage of MSRP.

Quote:
don't buy into the no title required. no title to register it yes, but ACTUALLY own it?? nope
I went through all that no title required BS with some early vanagons. when i went to move back to PA i wanted to get the titles so i can register in PA..
ME: Hello i would like to apply for the titles of theses vehicles, here is my bill of sales and registrations.
DMV: wheres your titles?
ME: no title required right? vehicles are older than 2000.
DMV: no,we need a title to make a title.
ME; but no title required????( as I had heard from many New Hampshiners)

You got an uneducated DMV person in PA. There's a reason why VT is popular in the classic car circles for registering non-titled cars. Other states will take NH, VT, and other title-except state current and valid registrations for purposes of obtaining a title. I've sold cars and motorcycles all over the country (and to Europe a few times) with a NH tag and notarized BoS.

Quote:

thus began my education on is there anyway to get a vehicle out of the no title required lie...nope YOU NEED A TITLE.
what it boils down to is in new hampshire you can technically steal someones car and register it as yours and drive it till its reported stolen, but you need a title to get a title that says you ACTUALLY LEGALLY own it. so beware when buying anything!! you'd be surprised how many New Hampshiners even at the clerks office to do not fully understand the tittle law!
Not exactly, I worked for NH DMV for 11 years. I understand how the system works quite well. It's not quite that simple.

Quote:
they like to boast about the no "proof" of insurance required either..more B.S no one understands.
the gist ..sure you dont need insurance but you better have a court approved paper saying your filthy rich enough to not need ii if you do need it!
guy rear ended my wife, who did not have insurance...why? been living there his whole life and thought that you really didn't need insurance.ugggg!
there's no FORCED insurance unless you require an SR22, otherwise, by not insuring your car you are stating you are financially capable of any financial burden caused by an accident - regardless of who is responsible. You did have insurance, right? And it was covered by uninsured clause? The state would then pursue the person who failed financial responsibility, and besides being liable in civil court for the costs, they also would have had their registration and licenses suspended until full restitution to the insurance company was made, reinstatement fees paid, AND proof of SR22 rider. Not being FORCED to have insurance is much different than not NEEDING it.

Quote:
now im just venting I think! it is a beautiful place to visit! Laughing

Yes it is lovely to visit, and if you like not having income or sales tax, it is not a bad place to live, either. I maintain my NH residence over Maine residence as the difference in taxes between vehicles, sales, and income taxes makes it 20% less to be from NH than from Maine.

To the OP, Plymouth is a nice area, college during the school year can be a bit rowdy (at one point, PSC was in the top 5 party schools in the US), Tilton is close for shopping, Concord and Manchvegas not that much further if want more selection. Mountains are close, the coast is only about 90 minutes away. There's a good club that covers the lower part of the state but is welcome to all - Granite State Aircooled (GSAC), you can find them on FB if you want. I was one of the founding members, good group.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving up to New Hampshire Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:

Pretty sure VA feels the same way about holes, but the mechanics are always to busy talking to me to bother. Luckily, my bus is rust free. Now I just have to keep her that way up north.

ImAddicted wrote:
To the OP, Plymouth is a nice area, college during the school year can be a bit rowdy (at one point, PSC was in the top 5 party schools in the US), Tilton is close for shopping, Concord and Manchvegas not that much further if want more selection. Mountains are close, the coast is only about 90 minutes away. There's a good club that covers the lower part of the state but is welcome to all - Granite State Aircooled (GSAC), you can find them on FB if you want. I was one of the founding members, good group.

Excellent information, thanks I'll check out the club. Plymouth does seem like a good spot in the state, not too far from everything. PSU will be our employer and we got the low-down on where not to live in relation to students. So we rented a house right next door to a nice family on one side and a house full of students on the other Pray The housing market is incredibly tight so we took what we could get, but I figure come weekends, I'll be in my bus sleeping under the stars Dancing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Moving up to New Hampshire Reply with quote

ewdb92 wrote:
Luckily, my bus is rust free. Now I just have to keep her that way up north.

The best way to keep it that way is to hibernate it INDOORS. I did the blue tarp method for years on my last bus and literally watched it rust away from ground moisture. Also, the second they start salting/sanding/spraying the roads, put it away. Wait until late April to drive it again OR until you've had a few heavy rain storms that have cleaned the roads of all that junk.

Plymouth is a nice area. Avoid Laconia around Father's Day too unless you like the biker scene. These guys have the BEST cheese I've ever had too... just saying Wink
https://harmanscheese.com/
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving up to New Hampshire Reply with quote

thewalrus wrote:
ewdb92 wrote:

The best way to keep it that way is to hibernate it INDOORS. I did the blue tarp method for years on my last bus and literally watched it rust away from ground moisture. Also, the second they start salting/sanding/spraying the roads, put it away. Wait until late April to drive it again OR until you've had a few heavy rain storms that have cleaned the roads of all that junk.

Plymouth is a nice area. Avoid Laconia around Father's Day too unless you like the biker scene. These guys have the BEST cheese I've ever had too... just saying Wink

We have a garage at the rental house that just fits the bus. She hibernates in VA when they turn the roads white with salt, but that's only for two months a year. Going to be a longer wait up there. Theoretically that will give me more time for winter wrenching. I can do that without feeling in my hands right? Razz

My wife loves cheese (as do I), she'll be very happy to try that place out. Thanks!
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving up to New Hampshire Reply with quote

That's pretty much what I do all Winter. Get whatever maintenance you need done on the motorcycles and bus. This Winter the bus engine will be living in my shop so I can clean it up and change some seals.

Then it's a mad dash to get any body work and re-installation done during the Spring before the black flies hit.
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving up to New Hampshire Reply with quote

Quote:
ME: Hello i would like to apply for the titles of theses vehicles, here is my bill of sales and registrations.

I can't figure whether TurboD16V is ignorant, angry or plain stupid, but don't listen to him, he has no idea what he's talking about. Either way, the state is much better off without him. He's an ignoramus

Let me just say there's a reason NH is consistently in the top 3 when ranking all 50 states.
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving up to New Hampshire Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
That's pretty much what I do all Winter. Get whatever maintenance you need done on the motorcycles and bus. This Winter the bus engine will be living in my shop so I can clean it up and change some seals.

Then it's a mad dash to get any body work and re-installation done during the Spring before the black flies hit.

I was saying exactly that this year, and here it is, tomorrow, for engine to go back in. Since then weve gone from black flies, to mosquitos, hornets, cluster flies,and now the ever loving deer flies, never mind the ticks. By the time im rolling, the frost will be out. Damn it I love living here, buuurrrpppp! Cheers

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving up to New Hampshire Reply with quote

Gregg in the 603 wrote:
Quote:

I can't figure whether TurboD16V is ignorant, angry or plain stupid, but don't listen to him, he has no idea what he's talking about. Either way, the state is much better off without him. He's an ignoramus

Let me just say there's a reason NH is consistently in the top 3 when ranking all 50 states.

I've seen those rankings. NH always looking good!
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving up to New Hampshire Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
cmonSTART wrote:

I was saying exactly that this year, and here it is, tomorrow, for engine to go back in. Since then weve gone from black flies, to mosquitos, hornets, cluster flies,and now the ever loving deer flies, never mind the ticks. By the time im rolling, the frost will be out. Damn it I love living here, buuurrrpppp! Cheers

Ha! That'll be me for sure. Your ticks and mosquitoes are a little bit out of control this year, but unlike VA, I can wear long pants in the summer up there Cool
cellobus1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving up to New Hampshire Reply with quote

My dad went to Plymouth State. Class of '52. I spent many summers in Plymouth at the New Hampshire Music Festival, '85-'95, many of those in my current daily driver (blue bus) Stella. You'll love the mountains. The Rattlesnakes in Rumney are awesome rock climbing, if you're into that. Covered bridges all over the place, most of which you can swim under. I've been spending the summer in the lakes and mountains of NH from birth until about 3 years ago. I have no reason to go there now since my parents are back in Conn., where I grew up, but I've always considered NH my home. Good luck! Ask me anything.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Moving up to New Hampshire Reply with quote

cellobus1 wrote:
My dad went to Plymouth State. Class of '52. I spent many summers in Plymouth at the New Hampshire Music Festival, '85-'95, many of those in my current daily driver (blue bus) Stella. You'll love the mountains. The Rattlesnakes in Rumney are awesome rock climbing, if you're into that. Covered bridges all over the place, most of which you can swim under. I've been spending the summer in the lakes and mountains of NH from birth until about 3 years ago. I have no reason to go there now since my parents are back in Conn., where I grew up, but I've always considered NH my home. Good luck! Ask me anything.

Sounds like a good way to grow up! I've heard there is a music festival in town, not sure if it is the same, held by Ben's Sugar Shack in Thornton. We are definitely going to start hitting more of such festivals. My future boss took me to Rumney pound, the trail head for Rattlesnake mountain, and the Plummer Pot holes. Such beautiful scenery and so different than here in VA. Thanks!
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Moving up to New Hampshire Reply with quote

thewalrus wrote:
ewdb92 wrote:

Do the inspectors mind if the engine drips a bit of oil?
birdmansuperbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Moving up to New Hampshire Reply with quote

Hi,
greetings from northern NH land of the "yuppies and hippies", I quess me and my wife would be hippies. Lots of good VW action around here , the vacation land Vw club has their big car show in Acton ME the first sunday in august not to be missed. Jerry jams big music fest. on the 19th of july and if you drive a VW bus entry and camping is free. Reggie's repair and salvage is a great resource for parts and advise. YOU WILL LOVE NH.
Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Moving up to New Hampshire Reply with quote

Where abouts is Reggie's repair and salvage?
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving up to New Hampshire Reply with quote

birdmansuperbeetle wrote:
Hi,
greetings from northern NH land of the "yuppies and hippies", I quess me and my wife would be hippies. Lots of good VW action around here , the vacation land Vw club has their big car show in Acton ME the first sunday in august not to be missed. Jerry jams big music fest. on the 19th of july and if you drive a VW bus entry and camping is free. Reggie's repair and salvage is a great resource for parts and advise. YOU WILL LOVE NH.
Very Happy

Did some say free? I'm there!! Cool Jerry Jams will only be an hour from us, nice. Unfortunately we won't be in NH until early Aug so it'll have to wait until next year.

Thanks for the parts place, always good to have them in the back pocket. I'll check them out.

Thanks!!
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving up to New Hampshire Reply with quote

ewdb92 wrote:
birdmansuperbeetle wrote:
Hi,
Very Happy

Did some say free? I'm there!! Cool Jerry Jams will only be an hour from us, nice. Unfortunately we won't be in NH until early Aug so it'll have to wait until next year.

Thanks for the parts place, always good to have them in the back pocket. I'll check them out.

Good looking bus BTW. Looks like you have a nice VW collection

Thanks!!

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving up to New Hampshire Reply with quote

ewdb92 wrote:
... like driving in a dream compared to the beltway. Everyone was so polite, letting me merge and be slow Razz

Polite? Boston?

Confused
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving up to New Hampshire Reply with quote

Howdy from across the White River !! I lived outside Concord for 10 years, moved to Royalton Vt. in '95, BOTH are good states to live in, N.H. is a little more WhiteisRIGHTrepublitard, where Vt. is way more Greenhippydippy, but both are proud , hard core "Northeaster" states, where you can make a good living, do the VW thing and be happy !
Check out my Vt. Cabin Fever threads, I do a Winter party every year w/ local and Eastcoast bus guys......

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: