Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How far can I go on a starter battery load?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: How far can I go on a starter battery load? Reply with quote

Hi Sambaverse,

quick question... how far will a regular starter battery (500 cold cranking amps, 75 reserve) load will get us if the battery isn't being charged while driving?

I know this probably depends on a million different factors, I'm not looking for an exact number.

Situation is this: Alternator light is one whenever the car's on. Starter voltage shows 12.3V approx, so battery isn't charging. Alternator is spinning just fine and has been fine until now.

Only thing we recently changed in this system is getting a new battery 3 days ago. Not sure how could this have to do with it, but it seems likely it's somehow related.

I would guess regulator, but we don't have a spare with us, so our best bet is now limping to where we're going and source parts there. It's 55 miles through the backwoods and ~100 miles going on highways.

So hence the question... we're charging our battery now, when it's full, what are our chances of making it?

Also, anything else that could break if we drive like this? Alternator because it's not under load? Humm...

Just changed out the battery to a new one
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: How far can I go on a starter battery load? Reply with quote

If you turn off everything electrical you can run for a few hours pretty easily. If you use anything that sucks a lot of power like headlights or wipers then your range will be drastically reduced.

If in the process of swapping out your battery, you disconnected the battery with the engine running, that could have killed your alternator. Otherwise make sure your battery connections are clean and tight.

Once you start the engine do not shut it off. Starter motor is a big power suck.

If you have carbs you can probably get a little farther than with FI.

If you really need to cover the distance before repair it would not be the worst idea to buy an additional battery that you can swap in if/when yours dies.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: How far can I go on a starter battery load? Reply with quote

Ya, pop the clutch if you can.

Do you know how many amp*hours the battery is rated for?
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: How far can I go on a starter battery load? Reply with quote

Since I know this as I have had my head and hands in that engine bay often enough.......

How about this.....

disconnect the aux battery stuff (not the solar) and use some cables (or ?) to run the car off that while you drive.

If it dies, you can switch over to the regular car battery and let the aux battery recharge from the solar.

you .... ~.. might...~.... be able to keep the fridge going with this method?

I say use the aux battery first because you can let it re-charge in leg #2 when the regular battery is being used. and you can switch back to the aux battery if needed. This give you three potential battery uses along the journey instead of just two - if you start wit the regular battery first.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: How far can I go on a starter battery load? Reply with quote

Yeah, sounds like we should give it a go. Weather is still sunny but might get a bit rainy later, so we'll probably hit the road now.

Battery swap was all nominal, no taking-it-out-while-running.

Not sure what the amp hours are, seems like they don't like to print that on starter batteries? Odd. If it helps, it's a Duralast 42-DL.

We'll let you know how this adventure goes, will report later. Cheerio!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How far can I go on a starter battery load? Reply with quote

I know a bus has more drag and weight than what I am about to list....but the spark plugs do not know that Wink ...four sparks is four sparks!

Year ago when I had a 90 model VW cabriolet...I left Dallas Texas to drive to a little North of Oklahoma city. Total miles about 265.

I was about 10 miles into it and time was short and blew the belt. It was a Sunday day before Thanksgiving....nothing open. I figured I would just drive being daylight and leave everything extraneous turned ...and pick up a belt in Gainesville.

This was with digifant injection and electric cooling fan. Highway speed 70+ mph....at about 3400-ish rpm.

No belt in Gainesville so I bought a spare battery at Walmart. Never had to use it. Drove to my destination and drove to Walmart to return battery in the am and drove to O-Reilly to pick up a belt. All told about 300 miles.....no issues...and about 8 start stop cycles over the whole trip.

You may be surprised how far you can go! Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How far can I go on a starter battery load? Reply with quote

I did this in my 97 ford ranger. I was doing great during the day. I had gone about 100 miles. But then I had to turn on my lights, when I did that i was done in about 20 miles. If it gets dark, pull over and camp. Bump start her in the am.

Again, another FI 4 cylinder.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How far can I go on a starter battery load? Reply with quote

Finally found the thread I was looking for to help you Emma:

Although that's Robbie's type1....not sure what it'll mean for you guys with your type4 FI set up

asiab3 wrote:
Abscate wrote:
In theory you should get four hours running with battery and lights on - in practice Ill go for 2 hours max

I got a solid hour and a half with one headlight, Kettering ignition, two taillights, an oil pressure gauge, and NOTHING else running. Battery was resting at 11.4 volts when I pulled into Rosemount. Trickle charged it overnight just in case, but the Dowell Family Honorary Generator Brushes are charging nicely!

Robbie

Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How far can I go on a starter battery load? Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:

Although that's Robbie's type1....not sure what it'll mean for you guys with your type4 FI set up

asiab3 wrote:
Abscate wrote:
In theory you should get four hours running with battery and lights on - in practice Ill go for 2 hours max

I got a solid hour and a half with one headlight, Kettering ignition, two taillights, an oil pressure gauge, and NOTHING else running. Battery was resting at 11.4 volts when I pulled into Rosemount. Trickle charged it overnight just in case, but the Dowell Family Honorary Generator Brushes are charging nicely!

Robbie

That's definitely reassuring, thanks for finding that quote!

We made it to our destination (about 1.5h driving time from our starting point), but we were chickens and made an AutoZone charging stop in the middle.

Camp is set up, the beers are open, so no more diagnostics tonight. Well be here til Sunday, so plenty of time to figure it out. I'll report back once I know more. Thanks for all your answers so far, it's much appreciated!

Prost!
Sven
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How far can I go on a starter battery load? Reply with quote

250 miles, no radio, lights. (carbed, with mechanical fuel pump)
the injected models you will get 150 or so. Because of electronics.
points ignition doesn't draw a lot of juice.
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: How far can I go on a starter battery load? Reply with quote

Did some diagnostics yesterday, alternator seems like the most likely culprit.

All wiring looks good, spare voltage regulator swap-in didn't fix the issue. Measuring voltage on regulator pins DF and D+ with engine running shows 2.6V and 1.5V, respectively. According to Ratwell, that points to a diode issue in the alternator.

Plan is to get the alternator tested when we're home, but gotta make it home first. It's about 350 miles, so we're probably going to take one or two charging stops at AutoZone and hope that'll be enough to get us home.

I guess that's what it feel like having an electric car...

Anyway, will let you know how this continues, wish us luck getting home today.

Sven
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: How far can I go on a starter battery load? Reply with quote

careful on the pop starting too often. I popped mine on a cross country trip for a week or two, until I snapped a shaft from all the torque. luckily had a shaft under the seat, but then promptly bought a starter

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: How far can I go on a starter battery load? Reply with quote

350 miles is nothing for you guys.

Good luck, but you guys will be okay. Besides, stopping to charge up will give you a good opportunity to take in the local areas.

Not sure if you guys have one, but I carry a 'battery booster' or 'jumper pack' in my bug. Worth a look and consideration. It can sort of revive a battery if necessary in a pinch. Probably would only get <15 minutes of battery, but sometimes that what you need to get to a safe haven for repairs.

I have the Stanley brand, but I've owned others and most brands are good. You can choose a size (and crank amps/amp hours) you prefer and some even come with built in goodies like a USB port, 12v DC port, or air compressor.

https://www.stanleytools.com/products/automotive-tools/power/power-station
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: How far can I go on a starter battery load? Reply with quote

A couple of years back returning from BNNTA, 600 miles to go to Northern WI my alt light came on. 78 stock westY with FI. Had two newer Optima batteries, one red top Starting and a yellow top.aux each with shut off switches.I carry a dual Battery tender.
Drove about 150 miles on starting battery which went flat, connected aux battery with jumper cables (zip tied them to keep out of harms way) shut off the flat starting battery and made it 150 miles to camp ground with electric. Plugged in tender overnight.
Neither battery was fully charged next morning so left both connected and made it 300 miles home.
Canadian bus with gas heater so have 70 amp alternator that has a plug, not hard wired. Found the plug had worked loose, even with with the stock wire keeper. Have it permanently fastened now.
Hope this helps.
Slip
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: How far can I go on a starter battery load? Reply with quote

If you replace the alternator, remember the too long alternator stud.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: How far can I go on a starter battery load? Reply with quote

GoBigEmma wrote:
AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:

asiab3 wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Robbie

That's definitely reassuring, thanks for finding that quote!

We made it to our destination (about 1.5h driving time from our starting point), but we were chickens and made an AutoZone charging stop in the middle.

Camp is set up, the beers are open, so no more diagnostics tonight. Well be here til Sunday, so plenty of time to figure it out. I'll report back once I know more. Thanks for all your answers so far, it's much appreciated!

Prost!
Sven

Emma/Sven

That two hour estimate for Robbie will be shortened by your fuel injected Bus - there is a fair amount of overhead associated with the FI system including ECU and injector firing.

If you have an inductive ammeter, you can actually calculate this by measuring the amp draw on the battery cable, then figuring your battery will give you about 80 amps for one hour. The problem is, once your voltage sags below the ECU logic voltage, FI will shut off and Emma will become a stationary hotel until you get your battery charged. Robbie, on the other hand, can keep driving until his spark gets too weak to jump the cylinder pressure and he loses power gradually.

You could use your house battery (or buy a spare) and a 10 amp charger and do two hour drives, stop, four hour charge, Then two hour drive, etc. You should just stay in positive charge regime

Here is the math

Unless it s a huge battery, probably an 80 Amp hour rating, You don't want to go below 25%, thats when the FI will start giving you trouble.

Headlghts and wipers draw a lot - for instance, each headlight is roughly 50 Watts or 4 amps, so 8 amps right there or 10% of your battery per hour. Four hours with your lights on uses 32 Amp hours of 50% of your battery capacity.

Do check that all your cables are tight and the blue wire hasn't fallen off from the previous work!!
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: How far can I go on a starter battery load? Reply with quote

Humor me and check the connections at the fuse box for fuse #12.

Make sure it is clean and all good.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: How far can I go on a starter battery load? Reply with quote

Last summer I lost the generator in my T-181 Thing about a thousand miles from home. Bought a second battery and ganged it to the first and went merrily on my way for about a week and a half, roll starting whenever possible. Night driving was of course out. When I got within about 300 miles of home and into Les Schwab territory I got them to do a free charge on the battery pair, though I am sure I could have made it another six hours or so of driving. Probably put about 1700-1800 miles on the battery pair before having the recharge done.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How far can I go on a starter battery load? Reply with quote

More math electrics

Primary resistance of a points coil AC VW about 4 ohms

So your 12VDC/4 Ohms gives about 3 Amps

Each hour of running is thus consuming about 3 Amps of your 80 Amps - not too bad.

It actually is better than this for reasons I don't want to dwell on.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How far can I go on a starter battery load? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
More math electrics

Primary resistance of a points coil AC VW about 4 ohms

So your 12VDC/4 Ohms gives about 3 Amps

Each hour of running is thus consuming about 3 Amps of your 80 Amps - not too bad.

It actually is better than this for reasons I don't want to dwell on.

When you take dwell into account it about halves the average draw and the draw will be even less at higher rpms when the impedance of the coil has more effect.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: