Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
fuel gauge ball
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
rafito
Samba Member


Joined: September 30, 2015
Posts: 6

rafito is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:19 pm    Post subject: fuel gauge ball Reply with quote

Hi, we have our grandfathers vw beetle 1962, the fuel gauge stop working (it is a magura ), we looked and this time the ball detached from the cable. there is not a single piece of cable on the ball, is there a chance we can restore it? someone knows how to do it?
thanks a lot
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
Emeraldlion
Samba Member


Joined: April 13, 2005
Posts: 703
Location: Texarkana, TX
Emeraldlion is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: fuel gauge ball Reply with quote

Maybe you could get a small lead fishing pinch weight? Pinch to the end of the cable and cut it down small enough to fit in the spot. It isn't exactly a round ball but more a short squatty cylinder type shape.
_________________
1967 Sunroof Beetle: tourist pass car
1961 SWR Kombi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bnam
Samba Member


Joined: July 02, 2006
Posts: 2670
Location: El Dorado Hills CA/ Bangalore, India
bnam is offline 

PostPosted: Yesterday 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: fuel gauge ball Reply with quote

Hereís an idea: I think the function of the ball is just to provide something to grip the cable and pull it. Get a blind pop rivet that has a stem that is close in dia to the cable. Pull the stem out of the rivet. Insert the rivet onto the cable - flange end first and then crimp the rivet to the cable. This should enable the sender unit to grip the end of the cable.

I.ve not done this on a fuel gauge but Iíve used this approach successfully to repair the cable on a Mercedes convertible whose top cable had lost itís end.
_________________
1971 1302LS Convertible (RHD) owned since '74
Click to view image
1965 Karmann Ghia Coupe - under restoration
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rafito
Samba Member


Joined: September 30, 2015
Posts: 6

rafito is offline 

PostPosted: Yesterday 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel gauge ball Reply with quote

Emeraldlion wrote:
Maybe you could get a small lead fishing pinch weight? Pinch to the end of the cable and cut it down small enough to fit in the spot. It isn't exactly a round ball but more a short squatty cylinder type shape.

thanks a lot
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
rafito
Samba Member


Joined: September 30, 2015
Posts: 6

rafito is offline 

PostPosted: Yesterday 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel gauge ball Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
Hereís an idea: I think the function of the ball is just to provide something to grip the cable and pull it. Get a blind pop rivet that has a stem that is close in dia to the cable. Pull the stem out of the rivet. Insert the rivet onto the cable - flange end first and then crimp the rivet to the cable. This should enable the sender unit to grip the end of the cable.

I.ve not done this on a fuel gauge but Iíve used this approach successfully to repair the cable on a Mercedes convertible whose top cable had lost itís end.

thanks for the idea
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com


Joined: November 20, 2016
Posts: 5266
Location: Houston, Texas
heimlich is offline 

PostPosted: Yesterday 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel gauge ball Reply with quote

It's a mechanical type pump. The float pushes and pulls on the wire that goes to the gauge. You need to fix it so that it has something to grab onto in order to push and pull on that wire.
_________________
www.vwnos.com [email protected]
Classic Brands. Classic Quality.
Not all parts are made the same. NOS OEM parts made mainly in West Germany, Early Germany, and Early Brazil are where VW produced the best quality parts and best fitting products.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rafito
Samba Member


Joined: September 30, 2015
Posts: 6

rafito is offline 

PostPosted: Yesterday 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel gauge ball Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
It's a mechanical type pump. The float pushes and pulls on the wire that goes to the gauge. You need to fix it so that it has something to grab onto in order to push and pull on that wire.

Thanks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2020, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB