Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for that adapter plate thread for Subaru conversion
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Looking for that adapter plate thread for Subaru conversion Reply with quote

Does anyone remember the conversion thread where some one does his own adapter plate? I remember seeing it but did not save it and did not find it. Thanks in advance.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for that adapter plate thread Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332783&highlight=adapter+plate

this was interesting what do you suggest?
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for that adapter plate thread Reply with quote

While you may be looking for some specific example of a DIY adapter, there are literally hundreds of them out there on the intertubes. Adapters are very engine specific, so you need to clearly identify which engine you're trying to swap.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for that adapter plate thread Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
While you may be looking for some specific example of a DIY adapter, there are literally hundreds of them out there on the intertubes. Adapters are very engine specific, so you need to clearly identify which engine you're trying to swap.

Hello Zeigest 13 It would be from a 2002 Subaru Outback Manual transmision donor car to a 1985 VW Vanagon with Manual Transmition I remember seeing it here in the Vanagon Forums made first the drawings with some type of cardboard sheeting for the pattern and then the person transfered that drawing to the machining of the plate. Dont remember where I saw it, last night i gave it my 3rd search and saw the small car bell housing thread vs the adapter plate setup and the SC looked very atractive because of the components needed vs the components needed with the adapter plate that use non subaru components.

Hope that someone gives me a hint on where to look. Thanks again! Wink
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for that adapter plate thread Reply with quote

Hello, a hand made engine adapter using cardboard templates, would be a challenge. The input shaft on a vw transaxle is off center. You also need to take into account flywheel clearance, starter depth, flywheel tooth, pressure plate location relative to the vanagon cross shaft and release bearing.

Not saying you can’t do it though. I would have remembered a thread like that. If I were mounting a Subaru to a vanagon, my choice would be the reverse ring and pinion with the Subaru transaxle. Vanagon transmissions are becoming as rare as hens teeth and have under design problems when torque and hp are increased over stock.
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for that adapter plate thread Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Hello, a hand made engine adapter using cardboard templates, would be a challenge. The input shaft on a vw transaxle is off center. You also need to take into account flywheel clearance, starter depth, flywheel tooth, pressure plate location relative to the vanagon cross shaft and release bearing.

Not saying you can’t do it though. I would have remembered a thread like that. If I were mounting a Subaru to a vanagon, my choice would be the reverse ring and pinion with the Subaru transaxle. Vanagon transmissions are becoming as rare as hens teeth and have under design problems when torque and hp are increased over stock.

i definitely agree 100% with you Mark on the trans-axle "rareness" I did look in to the subarugears videos and information and that would be the cherry in the cake for sure. at 1,900 dollars sounds expensive in my country but would make a perfect assembly. Well actually 1200 because of the small car bell housing price (takig in to consideration that the bell housing set up sounded the most atractive because you go with stock components on the subaru tranny)

Taking about the posibilities of making one adapter plate I found this videos last night checked them out maybe it works.

Link

Link

Link

Talking about subarugears or what ever vendor there is out there, other than the ring and pinion to the subaru box what other components are needed for this conversion? Does any one have a price list? Ill shoot an email to subarugears and let you guys know but if someone all ready did the conversion it will be greatly be appreciated it if you can give your experience and knowledge (and some photos of course Very Happy ) on this tranny conversion.

Ill look around in the forum to see what can I find.

Thanks in advance!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: