Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

77 04 marked head? what the heck is this
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: 77 04 marked head? what the heck is this Reply with quote

hello, on one of my previous engine it had differently stamped dp heads. one is a normal 375 A marked head while the other isnt. the other head literally only says 77 04 and thats it. is this some sort of china head? i cant find any Volkswagen stamping or any aftermarket logos on it.

thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: 77 04 marked head? what the heck is this Reply with quote

Im trying to bring this back to see if i can get any answers. Im guessing its a china head?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: 77 04 marked head? what the heck is this Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
hello, on one of my previous engine it had differently stamped dp heads. one is a normal 375 A marked head while the other isnt. the other head literally only says 77 04 and thats it. is this some sort of china head? i cant find any Volkswagen stamping or any aftermarket logos on it.

thanks

Picture? Is that on the top of the exhaust port flange?

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: 77 04 marked head? what the heck is this Reply with quote

No, its stamped near the valve springs underneath the valve cover. I dont have a pic right now. Sorry
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: 77 04 marked head? what the heck is this Reply with quote

Guessing you had a valve seat sink in and they replaced the head. Was it on the left side of the engine?
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 04 marked head? what the heck is this Reply with quote

Yes, it is the left head. But did the factory replace it orrr?

Thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 04 marked head? what the heck is this Reply with quote

That’s tough to call. Many people had issues with the left side and cooling issues with cylinder 3. It would get hotter than the others. I’m “guessing” you had an issue with #3 and they just replaced the head.
Stock heads aren’t that much. Why does it matter? Are you having issues with it? If not then just run that sucker!
Haha
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 04 marked head? what the heck is this Reply with quote

Oh, i will run it for sure Very Happy i was just curious on what the quality was
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 04 marked head? what the heck is this Reply with quote

Check the head section for reference. China head? I would imagine that wouldn’t be too bad imo. Oh the CAR parts!!! Yeah check it out.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 04 marked head? what the heck is this Reply with quote

I don't have it with me but I believe I have a 77 in one of my heads too.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 04 marked head? what the heck is this Reply with quote

Maybe its an empi special?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 04 marked head? what the heck is this Reply with quote

I will look at mine but I'm pretty sure it says VW on it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: