Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tinkering with 57DD… Logo Paint Stripping (66 sold)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66...Sea Blue Reply with quote

A little wet sanding today. Sea Blue, we missed you.
L360

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

More Sea Blue.
I tried a few different sandpaper grits and tried dry and wet sanding. Dry sanding by hand with 240 grit worked best.
-Motor is out to be rebuilt.
-Will replace fuel tank, brakes, and ts switch next.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

So I bought rear seat clamps from WW but they came with little nubs. My seats don’t have holes so my neighbor grinded the nubs down for me.
Also starting to disassemble rear brakes...

volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

Gas tank is out and big rust flakes pouring out! Good thing I’m replacing it before getting motor done. More things I found done incorrectly:
- There is no gasket between tank and body.
- Fuel tank strap is missing the bolt and being held with strapping material.

Up next:
Replace engine to body seals, tranny cradle mounts, transmission oil seal, tank.
Also going to go through all the brakes soon to see what’s up... oh and need to paint rims and should get new tires ... oh and more body sanding...🤷🏽‍♂️💵🤷🏽‍♂️

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

volkswagen60 wrote:

Rear brake lines need to be attached to the axle tube brackets, and you are missing the brackets that go onto the RGBs.
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
volkswagen60 wrote:

Rear brake lines need to be attached to the axle tube brackets, and you are missing the brackets that go onto the RGBs.

For the sake of reference, these are what E&B's referring to at the RGBs: http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211598600

In the image on WBW site, you can also see the setup for the axle tubes. Yours are welded on (like mine), but you get the picture...literally.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

Thanks for the reminder. My buddy mentioned it when he took the motor out. I'll add it to the list. Thanks!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

Would not bother with the lock plates. VW dropped them later due to needing to retorque those bolts later after so many miles.
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

volkswagen60 wrote:

'66 with earlier brakes?
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nineteensixtyfiveVG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Would not bother with the lock plates. VW dropped them later due to needing to retorque those bolts later after so many miles.

if you dont use the lock plates what do you use? I just have the bolts and lock washers on mine but i got under there not to long ago and noticed one had loosened up a bit which was disheartening.
nineteensixtyfiveVG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

volkswagen60 wrote:
More Sea Blue.
I tried a few different sandpaper grits and tried dry and wet sanding. Dry sanding by hand with 240 grit worked best.

Have you tried easy off? man I feel like that paint would just fall right off with easy off and you would end up with all the fine scratches in the original paint.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

nineteensixtyfiveVG wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

if you dont use the lock plates what do you use? I just have the bolts and lock washers on mine but i got under there not to long ago and noticed one had loosened up a bit which was disheartening.

Use a lock washers as shown in the 1963-67 workshop manual. Personally tend to retorque RGB bolts about 10 miles, 100, miles, and 300 miles after installing a transaxle. Even then not a bad idea to check those again 30,000 or 50,000 miles later.

Also helps to drill and tap the RGB bolt holes deeper to be able to use 40% longer bolts. Using old grease or anti-seize on the bolts helps to keep the rust out of the holes. Have packed old used grease between the RGBs and swing plates to keep rust out even more.
nineteensixtyfiveVG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

Use a lock washers as shown in the 1963-67 workshop manual. Personally tend to retorque RGB bolts about 10 miles, 100, miles, and 300 miles after installing a transaxle. Even then not a bad idea to check those again 30,000 or 50,000 miles later.

Also helps to drill and tap the RGB bolt holes deeper to be able to use 40% longer bolts. Using old grease or anti-seize on the bolts helps to keep the rust out of the holes. Have packed old used grease between the RGBs and swing plates to keep rust out even more.

ok, thank you, that is how I have it setup. Ill just remember to check them again in a few thousand miles. One of the holes is stripped unfortunately so I will have to look into rethreading that at some point. Im sure that must be somewhat common.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

ok, thank you, that is how I have it setup. Ill just remember to check them again in a few thousand miles. One of the holes is stripped unfortunately so I will have to look into rethreading that at some point. Im sure that must be somewhat common.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=195934&highlight=time-sert+rgb
volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

volkswagen60 wrote:
More Sea Blue.

Have you tried easy off? man I feel like that paint would just fall right off with easy off and you would end up with all the fine scratches in the original paint.

I tried Easy Off and I tried an aircraft paint stripper but neither interacts with the grey paint like other paints. There’s no bubbling or softening. The grey gets wet, and then just dries. It’s the weirdest thing.
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

volkswagen60 wrote:
volkswagen60 wrote:
More Sea Blue.

I tried Easy Off and I tried an aircraft paint stripper but neither interacts with the grey paint like other paints. There’s no bubbling or softening. The grey gets wet, and then just dries. It’s the weirdest thing.

The last time I did this there was a big difference between spray can Easy-Off and spray bottle Easy-Off. If it's still available in a can, make sure you use that.

Good Luck!
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

Bruce Amacker wrote:
volkswagen60 wrote:
volkswagen60 wrote:
More Sea Blue.

The last time I did this there was a big difference between spray can Easy-Off and spray bottle Easy-Off. If it's still available in a can, make sure you use that.

Good Luck!

Ahhhh ok. I'll pick up a 'can' today, and maybe a different paint stripper and try it one more time before sanding the entire bus.... THANKS!
volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

Bus is on jack stands and this is the last wheel I need to take off. It won’t come off no matter what I do!! I adjusted the pads in, hit it with hammer, and stared at it. It spins freely but does not nudge at all.
Next step, drum puller extractor from my buddy.

volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

Started a YouTube channel for the 66. I'll continue to update this thread and upload YouTube videos too. I'm no mechanic, but maybe something I post will help someone. Very Happy
https://youtu.be/x1XHd9EIRTM
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

When you post a youtube video link, first left click on the [youtube] button at the upper right of the message box you type your next post in. Then paste the video web address, and again left click on the [/youtube] button.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: